Why in the World?

MonsterPaul

Reaction score
Why in the world would one want to part out a '59 Les Paul in this condition! I just ran across this instrument on the Bay and the poster is selling the Bigsby, Kluson Tuners, Bridge, Wiring Harness with Pots and Caps seperately. Sure, it is very well aged but that is the magic and the beauty of the instrument. And what is going to happen to the rest of the guitar. IMO, it's just wrong!

Vintage Bigsby Tail Piece 1959 Gibson Les Paul "LP" "EX Short" Complete | eBay

If anyone know this instrument's owner, please talk some sense into them.

Any comments???

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Holy crap! They're gonna turn a Bentley into a Yugo in one swell foop!

yeti

Reaction score
He already sold two of the Bonnet knobs and replaced them with reflectors, yikes, what will he think of next:hmm:

jaik

Reaction score
He sold the wood awhile ago, here's the auction

Les Paul Body and Neck Only Aged and Worn Maple Top Very Cool | eBay

looks like a refin with a bad relic job to me, & the seller concurs. He expresses doubts that its a Gibson at all; but the reasons he gives (logo placement) look OK to me, though I'm not as skilled as some members on here to determine from a photo. If it was a fake Gibson decked out in vintage parts that could explain him parting it.
There's a lot of wiser gurus in this forum than I, who could answer all that more definitively. If that was a legit husk, definitely missed out at that price. IF

MonsterPaul

Reaction score
Very interesting... It appears the guitar in the September auction is different than the one pictured with the Bigby? The finish wear and colors are definately different? More of a Watermelon color in the Bigsby auction guitar verses a Tangerine color. The Sept. auction has stud piece post holes and routed for P-90s. The back does not have the dark streak running through the center. Has a 6 XXX serial number and the Gibson Logo would be lower for an earlier LP. The number fonts do not look correct for the era. Also, the tenon in the neck pickup hole does not look right. These could be conversions that went South? The seller does indeed say that history is questionable. Never the less, something funky going on? Still a shame the guitar is being parted out.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Can't stand when guitars are stripped like this, what a shame.

jaik

Reaction score
haha you're right, > sorry < , my bad , posted that too quickly. apologies

Just recognized the seller and that he had a parted LP body up recently that was described as dubious, and also had what looked like a relic job on it like this one. i guess my tripwire was set too tight.

I'm just saying, I'd want to really be sure of those parts, more sure than I am when I post on here haha sry

I had it mixed up with this set of auctions from the same seller

Les Paul Body and Neck Only Aged and Worn Maple Top Very Cool | eBay

Vintage Set Mid 1950's Gibson P 90 Pick UPS Les Paul Complete w Covers | eBay

Vintage Patent Pend 1950's Kluson Deluxe Single Line Tuners Gibson Les Paul | eBay

private-estate | eBay

MonsterPaul

Reaction score
Help enlighten us. Is their a thread or weblink on dating Bigsbys?

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
I'd have certainly parted with the $1200 that won the body, whatever it is!!:thumb:

Bigsby'd

Reaction score
Help enlighten us. Is their a thread or weblink on dating Bigsbys?

I've posted a timeline for Bigsby changes here, and on the LPF. I can't find the posts now, but the breakdown is like this for B7s, which are the Bigsby models most often found on Les Pauls.

1st-Fixed arms, Either no patent number, or say "Patent App" 1954 only, and crazy rare.

2nd- Fixed arm, "Patent", and the number are all the same sized font. There is no "NO" before the patent number. 1954/5-1956. The fixed arms themselves come in several shapes and sizes.

3rd-Cast arm, swing-a-way. Slotted Screw. 1956 only

4th-Steel Arm, slotted stud screw. 1957

5th-Steel Arm, phillips stud. 1958-1960

6th-Steel Arm, phillips stud. Small "No." makes its first appearance. 1961-2 Sides of the main plate are no longer curved, but straight.

7th- Plain carriage bolt stud. Small "No." 1962-on.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Bigsby'd! I wonder why Bigsby went from 3 screw wrap arounds to 4 screw wrap arounds (for lack of a better term) back in 1957, possibly later.

Latest Threads