Why do this to a beautiful Gibson Historic

ARandall

Reaction score
I was expecting much worse given the level of put on outrage in the OP.

There are of course the obvious differences between personal views on what makes a bad relic job (and seeming differing personal views on artificial means to make a guitar mimic an aged one visually).......

But it seems the main point about this thread (similar to the 50,000th epi vs Gibson thread currently going on) is the chance to post a belligerent semi troll like thread aimed merely at outrage.

Let it go......its not yours, you don't like and would never consider buying it.

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am not making a judgement on aged or “relic’d guitars. That is a personal aesthetic choice.

While admittedly, ”good taste” is subjective, certain “relics“ just insult my aesthetic sense. Even Fender Custom Shop, with some of their more extreme heavy relics imho go too far. Rory Gallagher’s Strat while very cool because of it’s history, should certainly not be used as an archetype for a vintage strat. Some folks may feel differently as is their right in a free country.

as far as outrage goes, there are many things that outrage me, relic’ing guitars no matter how poorly done or in bad taste is not one of them. So there is nothing to let go. Having and expressing a strong opinion is not trolling. If you disagree with an opinion, express your own in counterpoint, making it personal by attempting to demean or delegitimize the poster with a derogatory label is just plain weak not to mention a little hostile.

I’ll let the body of my posts on this forum speak for themselves. Trust me, if i was feeling outraged or being belligerent, it would be unequivocally evident. I limited my strong opinion to the relic jobs mentioned, nothing more. Maybe the word you are looking for is incredulous.

I was expecting much worse given the level of put on outrage in the OP.

There are of course the obvious differences between personal views on what makes a bad relic job (and seeming differing personal views on artificial means to make a guitar mimic an aged one visually).......

But it seems the main point about this thread (similar to the 50,000th epi vs Gibson thread currently going on) is the chance to post a belligerent semi troll like thread aimed merely at outrage.

Let it go......its not yours, you don't like and would never consider buying it.

Last edited:

Slash'n'Burn

Reaction score
The back of the body looks awful to me. Cracks/scratches around the bridge/controls look unrealistic.

Do vol/tone knobs really turn to a shade of silver after 60 years?

PierM

Reaction score
If you compare the two guitars, looks like they dont really have consistent techniques, and going pretty much random. Also probably overdoing with chemicals... just look at those knobs on the first link, or the inlays on the second. :eek2::shock:

Said that, as soon as they sell (and one of them is gone already), means there is people who like these.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't mind the age thing as long as it's in moderation or there is a point. The point being that it is to match an existing original '50s Les Paul or whatever model instrument. It is easy enough to randomly age an instrument that doesn't exist........ it's up to the imagination. Most appear over the top though when the imagination takes over.

I think a Pearly or Donna or even Greeny are good examples of age matching if it can be done right....... would look good.

The aging of the neck and back are really unnecessary...... but for some it completes the realism. All of it though is really up to the consumer who enjoys the look of an aged guitar with the comfort of it being brand new. There are advantages to a new guitar than one that's 60 plus years old..... ;)

1allspub

Reaction score
At least cut some saddle slots in the new relic’d bridge you put one.
A9099D4A-0176-4F4C-BA37-238205922E33.png

cmcgov

Reaction score
From the title of the thread I was expecting this guitar:

BSeneca

Reaction score
the knobs looks weird and the price is stupid. but overall I don't hate it. I personally do not like a mint or brand new looking guitar. wasn't always the case. but after having a HM and three vintage Gibsons I changed my mind. has to look realistic though.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
for something so painstakingly authentic I can't understand why a 1959 LP would have what appears to be a white plastic switch-tip ...

brianbzed

Reaction score
This is some of the most fake, amateurish, “relicing” I ever seen in my life. From a distance, in some of the pictures, it looks ok but once you see the closeups, the sheer awfulness of it comes into focus.

First off, It looks nothing like any vintage Gibson I’ve played or owned. It‘s not even aesthetically pleasing and artful like Murphy’s aging.

Maybe I should start a business, Freezing and sandpapering beautiful Les Pauls, putting some corrosive on the hardware, taking keys or a screw driver to the finish then passing it off as professionally relic’d. I can learn as I go by selling my experiments. I guess all i need is one of those certificate templates. Apparently the more or bigger the certificates, the more professional.

Sorry for the rant, but afaic, this behavior should not be encouraged. And i was seriously considering buying a pair of pickups from this guy as I liked what i heard on youtube, but if he actually thinks these “relic“ jobs look anything like a vintage Gibson, I’m not sure I can trust his judgement.

https://reverb.com/item/3207534?fbclid=IwAR1UKa3Y0v82mFqYHpPootNi44O4c8s88ipvnIqxJRVsX8mHNADjHtTWHsQ

https://reverb.com/item/30080007-gibson-les-paul-59-tom-doyle-time-machine-29-super-premium-historic-aged-r9-w- doyle-coils-pafhttps://reverb.com/item/3207534?
I've never understood why anyone would want a "pre-aged" new guitar. Probably started out as marketing hype to attract guys that can't play very well and have too much money! LOL Call me old school, but my guitars get relic'd by being PLAYED !!

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Nikola Tesla's bitter cousin, Doyle the Coil, would never accept his cousins injustice at the hands of Edison...and therefore took pen to parchment one sunny afternoon...

philippe david

Reaction score
I was lucky to own and still own LP59' aged by Tom Murphy, Historic Makeover and Time Machine
I must tell you that the best ones are HM and Time Machine at the sound level and acuracy...by far!! and that for the aging it's the same
I hope you give your opinion having tried and seen really, not just on pics and videos
One example : I was lucky to have an 2010 AFD Slash AGED by Tom Murphy for gibson...it was a JOKE! A FUCKING TOY ... nothing credible.
I bought it 14000€ (I'm a fan sorry!)then sold it 14k and I was ashamed!!!
and yet the name of Tom M is associated with a shitty guitar and it's not the only one (I have a kossof too...)
and you know I find my afd for sale on reverb since malaysia 25000€
Marketing!!! it's crazy!!
for me it's over

moreles

Reaction score
This one uses actual dings and nicks, which somehow almost never get done in the usual "boutique" relics, because, well, those are the real-world wear marks buyers don't like, and are not part of the hilariously-bogus fake aging style catalog. So this is an "ugly" relic, not a "pretty" relic. All relics are fakes, and most, including the boutique jobs, look fake. They're fakes not because that's my opinion, but because that is exactly what is going on. Fake age. I don't know any other musical instrument where players deliberately look to have their piece cosmetically reworked to look old. Yeah, I think the one in the OP is a drag. Most of them are.

Latest Threads