Why do the majority of new Custom Shop LP reisues have poorly fitting pickguards?

GazzaBloom

Reaction score
Why do they get it wrong on R6/7/8/9s but right on 54/57 and modern LP Customs?

4o0a5000_76194e1ddc.jpg

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem on original, '50s LPs. Quite the opposite on most modern LPs.

I bought a Gibson LP Custom PG for my LP Classic, and had to file it to fit around the mounting rings. Still a snug fit, but it works.

Mr.6 String

Reaction score
I notice it too, this is my factory burst MF, I did fix it because it bothered me

C90CAD64-1025-4F93-B74E-46360EAFE24A.jpeg
055D0297-FD30-483C-8F15-CC1946453127.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rds

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The gaps are the north and south side of the neck are there for vintage accuracy as the 1957-1960 Standards typically have gaps in these areas. The gap between the pickguard and the neck binding is due to the pickguard being poorly cut.

2021 Historic Reissue
2021_TH_Pickguard.jpg

Here are examples of original burst pickguards:
9-1688a.jpg

9-0919_c.jpg

9-0879_large_a.jpg

9-0643_f.jpg

9-0291_Vic_Dapra_1d.jpg

9-XXXX_90_Johnny_Marr_1l.jpg

9-1945_Daughtry_(15).jpg

9-1918_Slubowski_1a.jpg

Burst_Pickguard_Gap.jpg

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Looking at those bursts it appears the cutaway isn't deep enough on the Historics.

The vintage cutaways also seem to be shaped slightly differently too???

Are my old eyes seeing things?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gaps are the north and south side of the neck are there for vintage accuracy as the 1957-1960 Standards typically have gaps in these areas. The gap between the pickguard and the neck binding is due to the pickguard being poorly cut.

2021 Historic Reissue
2021_TH_Pickguard.jpg

Here are examples of original burst pickguards:
9-1688a.jpg

9-0919_c.jpg

9-0879_large_a.jpg

9-0643_f.jpg

9-0291_Vic_Dapra_1d.jpg

9-XXXX_90_Johnny_Marr_1l.jpg

9-1945_Daughtry_(15).jpg

9-1918_Slubowski_1a.jpg

Burst_Pickguard_Gap.jpg

Jeebus!..... all those tone leaking pickguards .

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I’m just loving all these beautiful pictures
Good lord

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemme s'plain it

Remember the pickup routes and thier location has everything to do with this....otherwise all the precut pickguards wont fit. as demonstrated above.

Those pickguards are from the wrong year of production.....they moved the pickup routes (for whatever reason) causing the "train wreck" above

So if they have several thousand pickguards, precut ....and the (again for whatever reason) the route jig changes or moves....those pickguards will never fit.

there are several changes ( I think Three) and they reflect exactly what I described above.

If you look closely you can see its a pretty exacting measure to get this to fit properly....and it all starts with where the routes are placed way at the beginning. .....so get your slide rules out....

NASA should really take a crack at this one

Injector

Reaction score
My 2020 '57 RI isn't too bad when it comes to pickguard fitment around the pickups.

What bugs me more is when the pickguard is fitted too flat and doesn't flare up enough so that the bolt barely clears the maple top.

Last edited:

Bluesman1956

Reaction score
Most of the new VOS and Murphy Labs Les Paul Standard reissues I see for sale have gaps between the pickguard and the edge of the neck to varying degrees, they look awful to me. Yet every single Les Paul custom has a perfect fitting pickguard.

I don't buy the vintage accurate shrinkage argument either, a browse through Beauty Of The Burst and watching Joe Bonamassa with his original bursts dispels that myth.

VOS reissues used to have perfectly fitting pickguards up to around 2018, it's since then that the gaps started appearing. Anyone know why? It must be deemed deliberate and acceptable by the factory as so many are turned out like it.

I agree my 2006 R8 has no cosmetic issues and is fairly true to vintage specs as a VOS.

blouie

Reaction score
When I saw this I looked at my 2020 R0 and was certain that my OCD would push me over the edge knowing there is a gap. There's no gap! Now I feel totally left out that it doesn't have the gap!!! :)

Mind the gap!!!

mrblooze

Reaction score
On recent historics I have thought it was both for the accurate gap at the neck pickup and on some it was sloppy assembly.

A couple current real '59s for sale on reverb look like they were fairly well fitted but you can see the neck pickup gap.

View attachment 569802

View attachment 569803

There were two things I would improve on the current models: This pick guard fitting issue and the guy cutting the bridge saddles. I know he was trying to center the strings over the pole pieces but the location of the slots was not consistent for string spacing. I prefer the strings centered on the neck (equal distance of high and low E strings from edge of fretboard with equal spacing between the strings) and not worry as much about pole piece alignment. I know that is OCD but I had to replace and recut the saddles on about half of the new guitars I received this year.

I'm with you on this. I have no personal experience with historical or custom shop guitars, but I could care less if there's a what, sixteenth to an eighth of an inch gap between the pick guard and neck that no one is ever going to notice while I'm playing it (when was the last time you heard someone looking at the video of Gary Moore at Montreux playing Greenie and saying, "Look! Check it out! Do I see an ugly gap on his guitar at the neck?!"), but a poor placement of the string spacing at the nut or saddle will have a noticeable impact on the playability and feel of the guitar.

In this day and age where it's all the rage to pay a whole lot more for a deliberately flawed finish with deliberately marred hardware (some call it relicked, I call it a fetish. Who cares what it looks like? I care how it plays, and what it sounds like), a gap in the pick guard does seem like a minor issue to me--- That said, I can understand how the OP, who I assume just paid a large premium for a top of the line guitar, would expect it to be the result of great attention to detail, and probably wants to know if something he thought odd was deliberate, or a flaw.

But this issue wouldn't bother me, but then, I don't collect and trade guitars as an investment. Maybe OP does? If so, we value very different things about a guitar, probably. I don't ask for perfection in looks. A perfect looking guitar that won't play well and doesn't sound killer is just a doorstop to me (or an expensive project to make playable...) no matter how much it lists for.

Different strokes, and YMMV, etc.

Adinol

Reaction score
Well, if you want vintage accuracy then a poorly fitting guard is where its at.
Maybe you're just not cut out for this sort of guitar.

With this kind of remark you're kind of insulting the OP.

This is totally unnecessary.

Having read through some replies I am surprised to see how many people seem to not care or even like it.

There are some vintage Gibson guitars that have the bridge posts mounted too close towards the neck, so the guitar cannot possibly intonate. StewMac makes conversion posts that will shift the bridge backwards, so you can intonate.

Should Gibson make "vintage accurate" reissues of these guitars with the bridge posts in the wrong place? Or should they just get it right this time?

I don't buy the vintage accurate explanation to justify sloppy pick guards.

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2019 R9

Attachments

• 5C521D5E-0C93-4165-AA47-BBBDE41A5E11.jpeg
    5C521D5E-0C93-4165-AA47-BBBDE41A5E11.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 24
  • D3B9E4D8-3014-4F97-AD5B-946511A39763.jpeg
    D3B9E4D8-3014-4F97-AD5B-946511A39763.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 24