Why do people think their LP's are worth so much?

axepilot

Reaction score
All Gibsons appreciate in value at a minimum of 10% per month, compounded.

We're all going to buying private islands within a few years when we unleash our treasures on the market.

Gonna be one hell of a party..................:rofl:

kfowler8

Reaction score
But you get free shipping!!!!

This is besides the point but I sold my Classic for $2,150 back in 2001. $50 less than what I originally bought it for. That being said it was a lefty and had a killer top on it. Actually wish I still had it...

Frampton129

Reaction score
If your wife told you that you had to sell one of your Les Pauls, how much would you list it for? If you're smart, you'd ask about twice what anybody would pay for it :)

SonicBlur

Reaction score
If your wife told you that you had to sell one of your Les Pauls, how much would you list it for? If you're smart, you'd ask about twice what anybody would pay for it :)
I agree! It's a win-win! If it doesn't sell you get to keep it, if it sells then you sold it and made a killer profit. Buyer beware. If some buys something without the appropriate research, that's on them.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Guess he can ask what he wants but usually the market dictates what it actually sells for, chances are the auction will end and he will relist it for a little less. Then that auction will and and he'll re list it for a little less, and so on it goes. Eventually if he really wants to sell it it will end up listed at close to it's actual value and then it will sell. Unless he gets a sucker on the vine sometime inbetween. There is one guy on Ebay that is always selling tributes with pin striping in the $1700 range. It's a $700 guitar with $1000 worth of pin striping. Who knows maybe there are plenty of dumb people out there ready and willing to invest big money in pin stripes. I'll bet if you keep an eye on this and his other auctions you will see it listed again and again.

ARandall

Reaction score
He's priced the wrong guitar.....I think he must assume that he's got a Standard or a Trad or something due to the colour only. He says list price is $2300 on this model.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I see it here too.Guy listed his 2001 Studio for 1200 firm. Months went buy and eventually listed it at 600. I think people like that are fishing for suckers. Sometimes they snag one.
You nailed it.

TheNoodler

Reaction score
Maybe he is the one that got scammed? Maybe he paid $1200 for it and thought he was getting a deal because he could resel it for $1700?
Regardless did anyone send him a link to where he can buy one online for half his starting bid? If you do that and the add remains up on eBay then that answers the question, he knows exactly what he has and is just looking to rip off an ignoramus.

ARandall

Reaction score
Contacted seller about the differing value and mistaken identity....his reply:

Not aware at all. Iam selling it for a friend who needs money to help him pay hes part for a liver transplant

acstorfer

Reaction score
Contacted seller about the differing value and mistaken identity....his reply:

Not aware at all. Iam selling it for a friend who needs money to help him pay hes part for a liver transplant
You would think, what with him being a member of the Nigerian royal family, they could afford the surgery?

Sorry, someone needs a surgery could be real, but in this case it smells of scam.

77custom

Reaction score
if you look at his other auctions you will see he's some kind of antique dealer or thrift store. He has NO CLUE!!!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I think the more important question is, why does GIBSON think their guitars are worth so much?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Because people are lining up to buy them
Gibson doesn't make their money from people "lining up" to buy their guitars.

They go by the rule of "selling a few guitars for a LOT of money vs. selling a LOT of guitars for lower prices". Believe it or not, the guitar is still a very niche market.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if you look at his other auctions you will see he's some kind of antique dealer or thrift store. He has NO CLUE!!!
I was going to say this exact same thing. Actually, he looks like more of a coin dealer. Hey, if you were not in the guitar business, and happened upon a Les Paul goldtop, and looked up the value of "Les Paul goldtops"...without knowing the specific model...you'll find values ranging from $500 to $75,000. I would imagine that this kind of thing happens all the time.

Frank

The Archer

Reaction score
Gibson doesn't make their money from people "lining up" to buy their guitars.

They go by the rule of "selling a few guitars for a LOT of money vs. selling a LOT of guitars for lower prices". Believe it or not, the guitar is still a very niche market.
Gibson has lots of models that are as affordable as a Fender or an Ibanez...the fadeds are sub 1K models. The reason gibson can sell the stupid pricey ones is becasue people are lining up to get what they see as something exclusive. The Joe Perry model is a prime example of a Les Paul that people shat themselves over and are jostling to pickup because of what it is as a collectable.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
because they are???

lets not go getting to far ahead here Archer. Ibanez and Fender have a lot of lower end guitars that cost less but play very nice. Gibson lowest end is more expensive than the Mexican Fenders and most of the cheap Ibanez. But people want to pay more for the name. Gibson has a great rep (which is now sliding out a but) but they are still the classic guitar. LP's are what people want. they can sell their guitars for a lot more because they know people will pay for it.

Latest Threads