Why do people say or act like Gibsons are overpriced ??

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have written it plainly several times - i don't care what people chose to spend their money on.
If that hasn't registered with you that is not my problem.

What i do not like is trying to justify Gibsons price gauging by claiming that gibsons are somehow "better than the competition" or "more expensive to make" yadda yadda yadda.

Gibson is a brand, and that is what makes the price.
This price is far higher than other guitars made with the same materials, solely because of the brand name.
That is "overpriced" in my book, and is the answer to the question in the thread title.

People "act as if gibsons ware overpriced" because they are.
Fine....but tone down your insults even if you thinly disguised them as a fake Gibson quote.....Like this one.

"Oh, those guitars cost us less to make, great, now let's just not tell the discerning consumers - no wait, actually let marketing make them think that we lose money... They are going to lap that up like a dog eating his own vomit...":rofl:

As we know Gibson never said this...........you did.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
caticecream.gif

I can't wait to find out how this turns out.

Don't forget to tune in tomorrow when we'll hear . . . .

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am i the only one who loves Gibson's not for the name on the headstock but for the way they make guitars......

When i was a young teenager in the early 90's i would take the bus to sam ash and play the guitars i couldn't afford, my favorite guitar was the SG.... i liked the black standards and the 61 reissue which i couldn't afford. I think the 61' RI was around 1200 bucks and the standard around 800..... Anyway epiphone doesn't make a good SG or anything comparable in terms of sound and feel (i don't care if you think your G400 is as good or better... it's not.) So when i finally made enough to afford a proper SG standard i bought one and the moment i opened the case and smelt that delicious smell and i spent time playing it i fell in love with Gibson's.... It literally had nothing to do with the name.... i just feel at home with a gibson in my hand.

Peter M

Reaction score
Am i the only one who loves Gibson's not for the name on the headstock but for the way they make guitars......
I love 'em for both. I grew up watching the legends sling their Pauls and that sold me on the brand name and style of the guitar. Then when I finally got one, I was sold on the guitar itself. It's been over 30 years and Gibson has yet to disappoint me.

shark

Reaction score
I never thought gibsons were expensive.
I just couldnt afford a professional grade instrument on a diet of dimebags and hot tea. :wow:

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
In addition to the raw materials, labor, marketing, administration, and everything else wrapped up in the cost of the guitar, they have to service the debt- or at least the part that they didn't shed in bankruptcy. They also have to make a profit, lest the cycle start all over again. KKR still holds $198 million of that debt, and is seeking a payout. Pretty much everyone is holding their hands out at this point, so Gibson is not rolling in capital from overcharging customers. If you want a Gibson around making guitars, they have to turn a profit now and for some time to come. The Henry J financial model has put them in this position, and private equity firms are not known to be overly sentimental about how something smells when you open the case.

Again, adjusted for inflation, the guitars are not overpriced compared to what they used to be. Even with process and workforce changes, the margins are not huge. I bet the new leadership is looking for ways to cut costs even further, and those savings will not be passed on to the consumer. The best we can hope for are new models at familiar price points.

PlainAllman

Reaction score
In reality the term “overpriced” is hyperbole. A person says it because it sounds like a legitimate complaint. However, the price of anything, product or service, is completely subjective. What may be overpriced to one person could easily be underpriced to another. To me a Playstation is overpriced because I don’t have any use for one whatsoever. To my 16 yo son who doesn’t even have an f’in job and talks his mother into buying it, price is no object whatsoever. The “market” dictates everything regardless of whoever sets the price. :io:

msalama

Reaction score
The hell you arguing about? Buy a good garden-variety Gibson of your choice used if you can't afford, or justify buying, CS / Murphy / whatever. Plenty of those available at reasonable prices.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hell you arguing about? Buy a good garden-variety Gibson of your choice used if you can't afford, or justify buying, CS / Murphy / whatever. Plenty of those available at reasonable prices.
Les Pauls cost more than (most) Fenders, and there is a hell of a lot more work that goes into the carved top and neck fitment (CNC can't do everything) than just bolting together a box of parts at the Fender factory.

Yet the Fender box-o-parts is more expensive than the much nicer Flying V, Explorer, and SG.... all of which have set necks, wiring actually routed through the body during assembly, angled headstocks, and nitro finishes.

Ya... If Gibsons are overpriced, then Fender, and Ibanez, and every other guitar made today is also overpriced.

msalama

Reaction score
All true per se, Gibsons are indeed more labor-intensive and complex to manufacture and the prices reflect that too. Whether they're still overpriced however I've no opinion of; I just stated that if you can't justify dropping five grand for a guitar, then by all means buy a cheaper one used and save a crapload of money.

I personally wouldn't drop 5K for a guitar unless it was vintage, and even then, a good deal. But that's just me.

MrTambourineMan

Reaction score
We're definitely overanalyzing here, making claims like we're factory experts or trying to justify some dumb quick math.

We just gotta have that beautiful headstock.
Our favorite artits stablished them and the tone is magical. Heaps of added value.
It's not rocket science. It's sentimental, it defeats logic.

Thank you! It's that simple really.
"We're definitely overanalyzing here, making claims like we're factory experts or trying to justify some dumb quick math."
1000 % FACTS!

MrTambourineMan

Reaction score
Actually the prices are totally out of line with development in manufacture of goods :)

One could also say that they are out of line with inflation, as the cost of manufacturing an electric guitar most certainly has decreased (thanks to automation) since the "golden age" - then again, that is right where "overpricing" enters the picture...

"Oh, those guitars cost us less to make, great, now let's just not tell the discerning consumers - no wait, actually let marketing make them think that we lose money... They are going to lap that up like a dog eating his own vomit...":rofl:
"Actually the prices are totally out of line with development in manufacture of goods...One could also say that they are out of line with inflation, "

This is absolutely false. Please show the math / theory that supports that statement.

Latest Threads