Why do people say or act like Gibsons are overpriced ??

Injector

Reaction score
I don’t mean to stir the pot or be disrespectful to anyone, but if you don’t like Gibson or think they’re overpriced/ not worth the cash, don’t buy one. No one is being forced to buy a particular brand of instrument. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Different strokes for different folks.
Yeah but that's just avoiding the discussion. Most people here do like Gibsons and do buy them. We buyers can still think that they're overpriced though.

I've just come back from having dinner in a swish Indian restaurant. The food was lovely and I'll go again but it was still crazily overpriced. If we want something enough and we can afford it then we pay the asking price whether we consider it to be overpriced or not.

JMP

Reaction score
Yeah but that's just avoiding the discussion. Most people here do like Gibsons and do buy them. We buyers can still think that they're overpriced though.

I've just come back from having dinner in a swish Indian restaurant. The food was lovely and I'll go again but it was still crazily overpriced. If we want something enough and we can afford it then we pay the asking price whether we consider it to be overpriced or not.
So if you liked the food, the service was good, and you’ll go back, how exactly was it over priced? That’s the part of the discussion i genuinely don’t understand?

MrTambourineMan

Reaction score

Say What???

Injector

Reaction score
So if you liked the food, the service was good, and you’ll go back, how exactly was it over priced? That’s the part of the discussion i genuinely don’t understand?
You can't like some food but think that it costs too much?

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
Gibson is a great guitar company and makes great guitars. They can't make them fast enough to keep up with the demand, I don't see Gibson as having any problems. :hmm:
Today, no. I’m looking out 10-15 years when the Baby Boomers and Gen X players age to the point they no longer have disposable income.
Music in schools has been dying forever. It was dying back in the late ‘80s when I was a music education major. The music industry as a whole has gone through quite a transformation. Music tastes have changed. The whole culture has changed.
The pandemic threw the music instrument manufacturers a life line. What they do with it is the real question.
Sure there are a lot of people that can't afford a Gibson Les Paul and were wishing they were priced lower, but there are plenty of people who can afford a Gibson and are waiting in line to get one right now. I am still not seeing the problem with Gibson selling there guitars at a fair market value for a USA made guitar.
I have no problem with the price. It’s the quality of the product that is often an issue with me. Are you getting real value for your money, or are your buying a name?
Oh... I had a Chinese Gretsch Electromatic, it was just ok. I even had a proper setup done on it and it would not stay in tune at all if you used the wammy. It did really look good though, but was just ok for playing. I sold it for a loss.
Couple of points here-
Using a Bigsby (especially a B5) as a “whammy” will make it go out of tune. On any guitar.
Tuning issues on Electomatics, like most guitars, usually can be fixed at the nut- shaping and lubrication. Beyond that, the tuners can be easily replaced for under $75 for an excellent set of locking, higher ratio tuners.
The electronics on most imports are where they skimp. $30 in pots and caps later, and the whole instrument woke up.
I paid less than $650 for my G5230T with case. It came set up perfectly. I dumped another $100 into it for parts. That’s it. It’s a keeper, and fills a unique place sonically in my collection. For what I paid for it, I consider it a bargain. What I expect at that price point is very different than what I expect at $2500 and above.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think I am getting real value from my Gibson Guitars as well as the name, it is a win/win when you purchase a Gibson Les Paul. Every Gibson guitar I have purchased has been top notch since 2010 when I purchased my first Gibson Les Paul. Back then the Epiphone's were not great, they were just ok and the Gibson Les Paul's blew them away. Right now though, my Epiphone Les Paul's are top notch and play/sound just as great as my Gibson counterparts. I hope they last me the rest of my life and continue to be great instruments. I don't have any plans right now to purchase another guitar, I have everything I need and love all my current instruments. But... you know how we are, the GAS can hit you quickly and the next thing you know, you have a new guitar/amp/or pedal. When the Blueberry Burst Gibson Les Paul Standard T came out in 2017, I had to have one. It was a ting of beauty with the AAA flame maple cap, a the slim taper asymmetrical neck, BBPro pickups, I loved that guitar. It ran me $2400 and was worth every penny, definitely a great value for that guitar. They could not keep those Blueberry Burst's on the shelf, every time they got more in they were sold immediately for the whole year they had that color. Then the next year, they stopped making the Blueberry Burst which I can't figure that out, since they were such a great seller. Good old Henry had no idea how to run the Gibson Company, running it into the ground like he did.

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
I’m still looking. When I come across an example that I feel is a good value for my money, I will buy it. It’s not a question of the price (to a certain point), but rather what I am getting for my money. I see it as being a prudent consumer, nothing else.
Why would I spend a lot of money on a piece of junk just for a logo? Just because it has a high resale value is not enough for me.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Well, hopefully you finally find the Gibson you're looking for in the years to come, it takes time to find the one, which it sounds like you are searching for.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Injector... you crack me up, you think everything is overpriced. That is just the way the world is, a whole lotta overpriced instead of a whole lotta love! lol :dude:

One of my wife's and my favorite restaurant's here in San Diego, it runs us around $250 to eat there and that is just the two of us. :wow:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my wife's and my favorite restaurant's here in San Diego, it runs us around $250 to eat there and that is just the two of us. :wow:
Is Rockin' Baja Lobster still in business? Wife and I used to go there any time I had afternoon work in the area... I'd drag her down with me and drop her off in Old Town, then pick her up when I was done.

MrTambourineMan

Reaction score
Here's a serious question...

...how are so many people ending up with "bad" / "sub par" Gibsons? Is it from purchasing mostly online?
The way some people make it sound, it's like you have to "settle" for the first Gibson the dealer pulls down from the wall. Each one of my Gibsons are great in the fit & finish department.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
17 pages.... wow.

I don’t think that Gibson’s are overpriced. Especially if you just want one..... but unfortunately you can’t stop with just one.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a serious question...

...how are so many people ending up with "bad" / "sub par" Gibsons? Is it from purchasing mostly online?
The way some people make it sound, it's like you have to "settle" for the first Gibson the dealer pulls down from the wall. Each one of my Gibsons are great in the fit & finish department.
2 of mine were online.
1 was one I selected out of 4 from the wall at Sam Ash.
The 1 I have, I had a feeling was going to be "the one" from the features and color, but I gave the other three a play.... liked the Iced Tea Standard.
None have cosmetic issues. SG has an excessive neck angle, but it works OK.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Is Rockin' Baja Lobster still in business? Wife and I used to go there any time I had afternoon work in the area... I'd drag her down with me and drop her off in Old Town, then pick her up when I was done.
Yes, we love that place as well, all you can eat chips and the different salsa's while you wait for the food, especially the mango Salsa. :drool: They did of course raise the prices and give you less, just like everyone else. haha

But it is still a very good place to eat and drink.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think Mudface needs an intervention, and the picture above is just the Les Paul's, I have a feeling there are more. haha

Latest Threads