Why do people say or act like Gibsons are overpriced ??

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
Here's my take:
I have always wanted a Les Paul. I'm a Telecaster guy, but was always attracted to black Les Paul Customs, just like I was always attracted to bound Telecaster Customs (love the Tuxedo look). For most of my life, other financial priorities kept me from buying the Les Paul Custom of my dreams. In the last year, I decided to invest in quality and buy the guitars I wanted. Maybe not Custom Shop/Murphy Labs level, but certainly upper-tier production line. This is to complement my small collection of mid-tier guitars (Teles, Travelers, Gretschs...).

Fairly quickly I purchased a Texas Tea Telecaster Ultra. Love that guitar. Played perfectly out of the box and there are no flaws in the fit/finish that I can locate. Really, months later there's nothing I want to do to it other than periodically change the strings and general maintenance tasks. COVID-pricing I know, but it's actually appreciated over the last year- not that I'm planning on selling it. When I buy and bond with a guitar, it usually sticks with me for a long time.

Then I went hunting for Les Pauls and/or ES-335s. That was and continues to be an exercise in frustration. Eventually gave up on the 335s and focused on the Les Pauls. Maybe I'm too picky, but I believe that over a certain price-point very basic issues are unacceptable. Once I hit the Les Paul Standard range, I pretty much expect no fit/finish issues. At the Custom price-point? It better be perfect. My expectations are adjusted for how much I'm paying.

I probably played 50 or more Gibson Les Pauls (all bound) in the last year. Every one I could find in the state, but mostly in a bunch of shops up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Lots of different neck shapes and variations (or lack) of weight relief. Different pickups. New. Used. Pretty much everything I could find. Almost immediately I decided I would not buy one before I played it, so no internet shopping for Gibsons for me. Essentially I would take the same approach to all of them. I would examine the guitar for basic build imperfections. Then I would play it acoustically. Then I would plug it into a known type of amp (usually a Princeton Reverb if it was available). Last I would really go over the guitar for anything I missed the first time. A lot of them were out of the running after the first two steps.

I came close several times, but fit/finish, basic playability, tone, or any combination of the three just killed the sale every time. Every. Single. Time. I had the money in hand and was motivated to buy. Just couldn't make the connection. It was shocking how many poorly-built or dead-sounding Les Pauls there are out there.

I ended up buying a mid-'90s Korean Epiphone Les Paul Custom for cheap. It played better than the vast majority of the Gibsons I tried. Acoustically it sounded better as well. Electronics and hardware were crap, so basically I replaced everything on it with better stuff (SD '59s, CTS pots, good caps, Grovers...). It was a little dinged up from the decades, but only cosmetically. It looks and sounds a lot better now. Will it sell for thousands of dollars? Nope. I might break even if I sold it. I really wanted a player, and that's what I got. At that price-point, I'm willing to accept fit/finish imperfections if the playability and tone are there.

I'm going to wait until the COVID guitar bubble bursts a bit before I resume the hunt. Prices are too inflated, supply is too low, and QC issues abound. That's across the industry.

I know there's a "good one" out there for me. Just going to take a while longer to track down.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and we have Conecuh Sausage. :dude:

Ahhhhh... Conecuhs... Yum!

There is a food truck in Montgomery, Moore's BBQ and Tasty Food, which has the "Drunken Dog."

They take a pan-fried Conecuh, add sauteed yellow onions and bell peppers, and cover it with a Voodoo Sauce/Jack Daniel's Sauce mix.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an air fryer, next time you do wings, dose em up with spices, olive oil, whatever as normal BUT take lengths of smoked sausage and line the bottom of the basket with em, then put the wings on top.... When you turn the wings halfway through, leave the sausage on bottom... Some of the smoke flavor from sausage will permeate up into the wings....

When I do that, I use Kelley's Smoke Sausage (it's fully cooked so your just 'crisping' it as the wings cook)... I like both sausage brands but buy family packs of Kelley's quite regular for 'quick' sausage stuff.... Quick sausage dogs as Kelley's is already cooked... Just crisping em up.... Damn good....

I retired my big black 'egg' PowerXL and got the stainless oven type similar to below to cook more stuff at once... We use this more than anything... In the Ninja, I can put the sausage on a separate rack.... I use the pan like the chicken below is on for the wings... holds hella lot.... drip pan is cool. Line it with wide tin foil, no mess to clean on it, just the drip top wings lay on... Oven does more than air fry but we air fry about everything.... For sausage dogs, put the buns in a minute or so before 00:00 and they toast up a bit... Hell yeah.....

1630706898689.png

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muffin tin eggs are cool too in air fryer... Nonstick muffin tin, olive oil spray, mix up eggs with salt/pepper/'basco poor in oiled compartments, air fry em....

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muffin tin eggs are cool too in air fryer... Nonstick muffin tin, olive oil spray, mix up eggs with salt/pepper/'basco poor in oiled compartments, air fry em....

No sharp cheddar with the eggs? You gotta to get your daily sodium.

Reactions: ehb

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys eat like you have a free health care...?

Because it is yummy? I'm not an egg man (coo coo cah choo) but scrambled with sharp cheddar and three shakes of Tabasco...
Sofa King good!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air fried, no breading, grease drips off, chicken? Sausage, air fried, grease drips off? Eggs, air fried , no grease?

Hmmmmm. Maybe not on the level of tofu...but much tastier...

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey hey hey don't you dare knock on tofu, it's tasty! But then again I'm Japanese lol

Hey, I like soybeans too...just steamed in the shell with salt.... a big ass crop in my region.... ;)

Prometheus

Reaction score
Hey, I like soybeans too...just steamed in the shell with salt.... a big ass crop in my region.... ;)
You know what's up! Goes well with beer I hear, but I don't like beer lol

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air fried, no breading, grease drips off, chicken? Sausage, air fried, grease drips off? Eggs, air fried , no grease?

Hmmmmm. Maybe not on the level of tofu...but much tastier...

There's still a good bit of fat as well as sodium in the sausage, but fat is where so much of the flavor is, and the salt enhances it... amirite?

My chili recipe meat is ~1/6th ground pork sausage and 5/6ths 73% ground beef, and I do *not* drain the fat off! I use instant mashed potato flakes/buds to keep it from being soupy.

BTW, Tabasco sauce does not have much sodium when you consider how little of it you use. Even the three tablespoons I use adds only 315mg to the whole pot.

rfrizz

Tenured Luser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey hey hey don't you dare knock on tofu, it's tasty! But then again I'm Japanese lol

I wonder if our Japanese friend has ever had peanuts prepared this way. Have you, Prometheus?

Prometheus

Reaction score
I wonder if our Japanese friend has ever had peanuts prepared this way. Have you, Prometheus?
I have not, I mean I can't get hold of fresh peanuts, only... Ehm dried ones? For the lack of better words

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... Then I went hunting for Les Pauls ... I probably played 50 or more Gibson Les Pauls (all bound) in the last year .. I would examine the guitar for basic build imperfections. Then I would play it acoustically. Then I would plug it into a known type of amp (usually a Princeton Reverb if it was available). Last I would really go over the guitar for anything I missed the first time. A lot of them were out of the running after the first two steps ... I came close several times, but fit/finish, basic playability, tone, or any combination of the three just killed the sale every time ...
Just curious ... of the 50, how many were fit/finish problems, and how many were did sound good acoustically or plugged in problems? Roughly ...

Alaska Mike

Reaction score
To be honest, after a while I stopped caring. It either was or wasn’t what I considered acceptable. A lot missed the mark on every standard. Bad workmanship, dead acoustically, and borderline unplayable. A lot of the shops tried to work with the last bit, but there’s only so much you can do once the neck is set and the bridge is mounted.
The heartbreaking ones may have sounded and played great, but a true craftsman would have never let a piece with those aesthetic flaws out of the workshop. A lot of these were painted bodies, so who knows what lurks beneath?
At a certain price-point, I feel completely justified in being picky. I really would love that Gibson on the headstock, but I can wait for the right one.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have purchased roughly 10 Gibson Les Paul's over the past 12 years, and all have been very acceptable to outstanding.

Latest Threads