Why do people say or act like Gibsons are overpriced ??

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people say or act like Gibsons are overpriced ?? I literally see mexican made bolt on Fenders tipping over to $1400-1500 these days... most nice mexico Fenders average around 1000 with a gig bag. Yet Gibson gets blasted for giving a gig bag with a $1500 american made SG standard or people cry that a LP standard is $2500..... It just seems so strange to me... like have these people seen the prices of chinese guitars.... they are in the 700-800 range now !!!

What do you guys think ? any value for your dollar in a Gibson or do you think they are crap quality and overpriced.... I personally think they offer a lot of value to me and nothing feels like a good gibson. :dude:

Roxy13

Reaction score
As a person who has not owned any custom shop Gibsons, I don't have an issue with the prices on the USA line. Personally I find a Gibson is more worth the cost than a Fender. I think the workmanship of an SG is worth more than the workmanship on a strat, but that is just an opinion.

And I suppose I don't have much of an opinion on the custom shop guitars either. I just don't think a guitar is worth that much for ME. I would probably have a different view though if I had a higher income or was at least working part time as a musician. But, I'm a nobody who writes songs very few people ever hear. How much should I spend? IMO not as much as that type of guitar would cost me. However, I also don't think it's any of my business what others choose for themselves. Isn't it great to have so many choices?

kelsodeez

Reaction score
People just love to complain and gibson seems to have been the lightning rod for complainers for years now.

I do think the cost of a custom shop guitar isn't in line with how much better it is than a USA gibson, but as long as there's a market for it, they'll keep making them.

I love that the Murphy lab guitars came out and filled that "rich guy with too much money" market because there was some serious trickle down of used gear because of it. When they announced the Murphy lab, a lot of people were offloading their custom shop guitars for cheap to afford a new ML. I got my 2016 R9 for under 4k because the guy said he wanted a Murphy lab instead.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
They are ridiculously overpriced and and if anyone wants to replace the headstock logo with some other name and try to fetch the same money have at it.

People are paying for the name.

"I bought a Gibson."

Nobody cares.

In the right hands a Epi or multitude of other guitars sound and play just as good for a fraction of the price.

Wood, metal, plastic... mass produced like other products. The magic isn't in the instrument.

It's your money and if Nike's and Rolex's and other brand names make you feel better have at it.

THAWK819

Reaction score
People just love to complain and gibson seems to have been the lightning rod for complainers for years now.

I do think the cost of a custom shop guitar isn't in line with how much better it is than a USA gibson, but as long as there's a market for it, they'll keep making them.

I love that the Murphy lab guitars came out and filled that "rich guy with too much money" market because there was some serious trickle down of used gear because of it. When they announced the Murphy lab, a lot of people were offloading their custom shop guitars for cheap to afford a new ML. I got my 2016 R9 for under 4k because the guy said he wanted a Murphy lab instead.
Damn... I need to find one of these guys. The lowest I'm seeing R9's for these days is around $4,300.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared to what Fender charges for 2 pieces of wood bolted together, I think the USA models are very well worth their price tag. The Custom shop ones can be discussed, but I guess some of them are worth it.

MIJ guitars are great too, but new ones don't come cheap. Epiphone, Squier, Cort and Eastman make very good guitars, that'll do the job, but they don't smell as nice as a new Gibson :) And then of course there is the resale value - Gibson is probably the most valued brand in that regard.

However I can still laugh of this one (with subtitles):

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I think to a degree any American made gutiar is a bit overpriced, you’re paying for the added labor costs here. But certainly that’s not just Gibson. And I’m still happy to pay the premium for it anyways. But there is a law of diminishing returns the higher up in price you go.

Price is relative too, if you only buy $500 guitars, Gibson’s are pricey. If you’re a Murphy Lab regular and able to drop 10k on a guitar, the standard USA line isn’t so bad.

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
This has a very simple answer. Gibson has been undercut by oversees manufacturers who can make killer Gibson Models for a third of the price. When you look at the historical price of Gibsons, you'll notice they've stayed pretty close to inflation rates over the same period of time. And you wouldn't complain about a modern Gibson price, if there wasn't an off brand model that cost a 1/3. It use to be that Gibson could say, well these knock off brands from oversees, aren't built to the same quality as ours, and don't have the same quality of tone. You can't say that as much now a days.

So really it comes down to, are you willing to pay an American workers living wage for a guitar, or are you willing to pay an oversees workers wage for a guitar. And think about the repercussions of your answer.

Last edited:

sonar1

Reaction score
The difference is that “vintage” versions of the same guitar are 10X the price of a CS reissue, Murph’d or VOS.

Latest Threads