Why do I hate strats? And do I need therapy?

southpaw219

Reaction score
This guy, Chris Buck, can really play. He's using a Highway 1 Strat, and he rips ... and the tone is, I think, pretty damned pleasant. The video is a lesson from him about how to play his solo, but I've queued it up to just the solo playthrough.

Last edited:

Jon W

Reaction score
They are different instruments and to me, need to be approached as so. A strat through a pro reverb and a LP through a marshall are so distinctly different that they are, in totality, unique as a trumpet compared to a sax. And I play them with different styles.

IanHenry

Reaction score
I really think you need to listen to Rory Gallagher, don't forget when Hendrix was asked "how does it feel to be the best guitar player in the World" he famously replied "I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher.

Iocaine12

Reaction score

Lil Uncle Larry.. He does ok.. but he's the first one to tell ya.. Tone is simply the right noise at the right moment.

masher_uk

Reaction score
Our drummer: Man, you should get a Strat, they sound great.
Me: I don't like them. I find them thin sounding with too much top end; I like my LP. Man, you should buy a Ludwig kit, they rock!
Our drummer: Don't tell me what kit to get!
Me: I give up!

Brian R.

Reaction score
This is inspired by another thread but maybe someone can fill me in on what I’m missing.
jimi is the only guy I’ve ever heard make a stray sound really great. To me they’re always thin, bland and too sproingy.

Now I’ve been playing for over 30 years, went to Berklee, played live a ton and manage a studio, so I’ve had plenty of exposure to strats

If something is that popular but I don’t like it, it tells me maybe there’s something I’m missing.

someone please explain the beauty of this guitar to me. Do I need therapy?? And I do realize I’m asking this on a les Paul forum Lol. This thread is meant in fun.
You know, my first electric was a Strat style, I've owned two Mexican Strats (great guitars by the way), and I currently have an American Deluxe.

Due to what sound I was attracted to, every single one is HSS. That "thin" sound you mention? I get it.

Now that I am on my third Les Paul, I don't know if I would ever buy another Strat (unless mine spontaneously combusted or something).

All that being said, I do like the Strat neck position sound for some things. I also should mention one of my first amplifiers was a Mesa Boogie and I hated it.

To each their own, I guess.

Ruckus

Reaction score
This is all the Strat I need for now. As an Indonesian Squier has no Fender parts, this Bullet is more Gibson than Fender, what with the Gibson P-90 pickup in there.

I was tempted by a Sherwood Green Squier '60s Strat with matching headstock, but I walked away and the temptation went away.
How many variations of Bullets are there? I owned a white on black Chinese made, with the tremolo and HSS ,H in the bridge position, and a "regular" Strat type head stock, bought at a pawn shop for around 60$. I've seen em with head stocks that look like canoe paddles, I've seen them with no tremolo, with 2 pups....one thing about Strat style in general, the " comfort conture", I'm playing guitar, not taking a nap, I prefer the straight edges on Gibsons, I've had broken ribs, no better rehab than a nice straight back.

Last edited:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can’t get along with strats. I’ve owned a dozen in 30 years. I’ve sold 9, I’m going to sell another one. That leaves two. The first I dropped in two Gibson P90’s and it’s my favorite strat. The other is a 2000-ish Tex mex strat that is the ONLY SSS strat I’ve ever been really happy with. My go to guitar switches between a tele and an ordinary LP studio. Those two guitars never let me down.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I never liked starts. In over 30 years I only owned one and was never able to bond with it, ended up selling it with little more than a couple of hours of use.
Last year when I was stuck at home a local store went out of business and started to sell the stock for less than cost, bought an american professional hss strat, sunburst with rosewood fretboard. I liked the shape and neck but not the sound of the pickups, same as before I can't stand the bridge pickup or the middle pickup and not positions 2 and 4... The neck sounds usable with the tone lowered to 6.
As it costed almost nothing I decided to upgrade the pickups, put an emg S set and it improved a lot, I'm using it on a daily basis now. Still don't have a use for positions 2, 3 and 4 though...

Al Walker

Reaction score
This is odd for me to say here, but, I prefer my Strat to a carved top Les Paul. WAIT! I do prefer slab top Les Paul Jrs, and Specials to a Strat. Just can't bond to a carved top guitar.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
Different Strokes for different folks. I think everything has its purpose.
I've always found a good Strat to be a very versatile instrument. And with noiseless pickups I can cover a lot of different gigs with just one Strat. Don't get me wrong I love my high end Gibson, PRS, Gretsch, etc... But there's just something about a good Strat that really floats my boat. And I'm talking Custom Shop and Fenders before 1984.
I can't play all of these cheap American Standards and even the vintage re-issues being made over the last 20 years, in my opinion are just not happening. Play what you like and if youre happy with it then who's better than you!

Stay well.

Screenshot_20210203-194318.jpg

jimmyjames

Reaction score
that is an example of the BEST color sunburst strat to me. I love two tone. Three tone is gross. Two tone is bad-A.
Both kick arse, but only if feathered in well, and with good body grain. 3-tone with an obvious red ring doesn't do it for me.

Reaction score
I think I can relate with OP. It just took 30 years to really come around to appreciating what a Strat brings to the tone table.

I've owned 5 S-bodies in the past - American 62 RI Strat, Carvin DC150, Schecter C-1 Elite, and way way back an Ovation Ultra thing. Never bonded with their tones (even those with HBs) but held on to them longer on average than the two Gibson/Epiphones I've owned. Honestly, I think the longevity of ownership has much to do with the comfortable contour of the S-body. On the other hand, I held on to my old 79 LP Standard and Epi Sheraton for far less time, even tho my ears were always more tickled and inspired by that full-on PAF sound. But dang it, those guitars just weren't comfortable. (Admittedly, the 79 Standard was like 47 pounds or something, which is typical of that era as I understand it.)

More recently I went thru a bout of buying/returning various Strats and LPs of various calibers, and landed on a Bolt SSS and an LP Trad Pro V. Given all the bells and whistles in the LP HP4 circuit, I've found that the only Strat position that the LP can't do convincingly is 5. The LP can handily do 1-4 and 6 (N/B) and it can approximate 7 (N/M/B). On the flipside, the Bolt can't really do HB tones, especially not Tradbuckers. But its Strat tones are out of this world, especially the "wine-glass" 5, the Tele-like 6, and the quacky 2 and 4. I never really got into tweaking pickups until I found this Carvin and it's given me a new appreciation for all things Stratty.

Oddball667

Reaction score
This is inspired by another thread but maybe someone can fill me in on what I’m missing.
jimi is the only guy I’ve ever heard make a stray sound really great. To me they’re always thin, bland and too sproingy.

Now I’ve been playing for over 30 years, went to Berklee, played live a ton and manage a studio, so I’ve had plenty of exposure to strats

If something is that popular but I don’t like it, it tells me maybe there’s something I’m missing.

someone please explain the beauty of this guitar to me. Do I need therapy?? And I do realize I’m asking this on a les Paul forum Lol. This thread is meant in fun.
Possibly expand your horizons past jimmi hendrix and look into david Gilmour , Stevie ray Vaughn , Eddie van Halen or even Jeff Beck .
Or just put on the first Sabbath record .
Im an LP guy myself , but there are definitely guys that can make a strat sing.

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
Perhaps you need a demo of not just one but two battered Stratocasters.

Cobi Walker

Reaction score
Google James Gang "Funk #49" on the Howard Stern show, 2006 I think. Typically that was played with an LP, but Joe makes it sound thick with a strat.

Latest Threads