Why do I hate strats? And do I need therapy?

el84ster

Reaction score
This is inspired by another thread but maybe someone can fill me in on what I’m missing.
jimi is the only guy I’ve ever heard make a stray sound really great. To me they’re always thin, bland and too sproingy.

Now I’ve been playing for over 30 years, went to Berklee, played live a ton and manage a studio, so I’ve had plenty of exposure to strats

If something is that popular but I don’t like it, it tells me maybe there’s something I’m missing.

someone please explain the beauty of this guitar to me. Do I need therapy?? And I do realize I’m asking this on a les Paul forum Lol. This thread is meant in fun.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Now I’ve been playing for over 30 years, went to Berklee, played live a ton and manage a studio, so I’ve had plenty of exposure to strats
I'm a hack, so whatever I say is suspect. I should also qualify that my Strat-like guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica, set up as a SSS with Fender TexMex pickups.

I tend to agree with most of your post. However, I also find that the Strat neck tone is its own kind of sublime as a clean tone. But other than Hendrix, SRV, David Gilmour, Dave Murray and Blackmore, I don't even identify if one is on a recording.

kysrsoze

Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with the style of music one likes to play and listen to. I'm not a huge blues person - much more on the rock/punk/alternative/metal side, and humbucker guitars are just better suited for that. I love David Gilmour, but his music is more the exception for me.

I've owned a Fender Strat and struggled to get a sound I particularly liked, and I hate vintage style tremolos. I feel like Strats are much more suited to really clean, maybe slightly dirty styles. But I really LOVE Telecasters. Despite being a much more simple guitar, I think they just sound better, are easier to play well and are somehow more versatile, clean, dirty or distorted. Mine has a 4-way switch.

The only pickup positions I find interesting on a Strat are 2 and 4. For that reason, I find Super Strats even more undesirable - it's like you melded two guitars that don't belong together. Better to just go regular Strat or get a single-hum hair metal guitar.

That said, I now have a Super Strat-style Kramer Focus I picked up for next to nothing, and I swapped in a Fralin Unbucker in the bridge position with a split-coil switch, so you can play humbucker or true position 4 and it sounds right. I'm trying to learn more Hendrix-type style, so I'm using it more than I used to. So it is growing on me, I guess.

questionman

Reaction score

If that is "thin" to you, besides the intro, then I have no idea what to tell you

I started playing on a Strat, so I guess I am biased towards them. I own more LP style guitars now than Strats, but I also have an easier time picking up a Strat and playing it vs a Gibson. I have a Strat with split rails, one with an old 70s set os SDS-1 pickups (single coil super distortions), a custom wound set of pickups to emulate SRVs Strat and Gary Moores red strat, and a USA with some insanely hot pickups. The versatility of a good Strat is second to none, one can do a LOT with these things no other guitar can come close to

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Strat fills a tone window in the guitar arsenal...not my every day, every situation player, but neither is anything else.

[Quote: I love my G&L Asats :Quote]

You and me both.

I am fortunately in a situation where none of my guitars are in an either/or situation...but nothing sounds much better than an almost clean Strat rhythm track with an overdriven LP on lead over the top of it.

BigJim

Reaction score
Disposable guitars. When I need one, I build one from parts, sell/swap when I am done.

I need one for the "horn band" I am in, my Les Paul's fat tone gets a bit buried by the horns and keys. The Strat cuts better, and the plinky tones fit best with the funky stuff we do.

I just changed my Esquire to a Tele by adding a front pickup, it was my first Tele type. Jury is still out on it though..

el84ster

Reaction score
These videos are just proving my point (to my self anyway) that I still haven’t heard a strat I like outside of jimi. And I think I like jimi’s tone because it’s basically the sound of 3 100w plexis! Lol

maybe it’s just a different taste is all.
Also strats were originally designed and shipped with 12 ga. Strings. I’ve never heard one with 12s, so maybe I’ve never heard the true intent?

Also, i don’t equate strats with teles...teles often have a bold enough sound that I dig em.

ManicPete

Reaction score
I REALLY want to like Strats. I have the chance of getting a gorgeous CS Strat for a friend price. But I just can't like them. another friend loaned me a 04 Standard a few years ago and it was a killer. Heavy. Dirty. So I think I can like them.

I'm tempted to just buy the CS Strat to see if I like it.

Like many above I love Jimi and also Frusciante. But not many other Strat players. Maybe Sambora. But can't think of any others.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hate Strats also, and while I probably do need therapy, it's not for that. So you're fine.

I recently bought a nice player's grade Custom Shop Strat (like the fifth nice Strat that I've owned), but couldn't bond with it. I'm getting closer to acceptance.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
In 40 years or so of playing, owned 5 strats, ALL for flipping. Can't stand the stupid things! Everything from the worst sounding bridge pickup, with NO tone control of course, to a trem system that, if you go by factory specs, WON'T stay in tune if you palm mute. Useless things, only good for burning, as Jimi discovered!

BDW60

Reaction score
I can’t say I hate them. An early 80s Japanese Squier was my first guitar and I learned on it and gigged with it in college. It was good for the jangly college music of the day. Too many great memories for hate.

But getting another is so far down my list of guitars to buy it barely registers.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all the Strat I need for now. As an Indonesian Squier has no Fender parts, this Bullet is more Gibson than Fender, what with the Gibson P-90 pickup in there.

I was tempted by a Sherwood Green Squier '60s Strat with matching headstock, but I walked away and the temptation went away.

redking

Reaction score
Traditional 3 single coil strats need to be played with the right amp and pedals because strat pickups are so weak. If you play a strat through the wrong rig, you get nothing from it and that is very dissatisfying. That is why the great strat players we can all think of are also known for something else gear-wise: either a fuzz pedal or tube screamer (or klon) type pedal. If you ever have the chance to sit down with both a strat and tele at the same time, plug them straight into any amp and play each on the bridge pickup - I'm betting you will be able to get something satisfying from the tele and the strat will be something less than what you get from the tele.

Latest Threads