Why do I hate Paul Shaffer?

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Reaction score
Every time I see a YouTube video with a band on the old Letterman's Late Show Paul Shaffer has got to be sitting in with the band...........man it's just twists me up so much I want to take off running as fast as I can and run straight into a brick wall.

Wants wrong with me....will I continue to hold my pain and hate and all emotions until till it becomes a horrible anger that causes me to go mad!

fry

Reaction score
I never understood that either. I guess it was the deal if a band came on the show, they had to be backed by the house band, not just Paul. I don’t hate Paul, though.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Reaction score
I never understood that either. I guess it was the deal if a band came on the show, they had to be backed by the house band, not just Paul. I don’t hate Paul, though.

I don't hate him but I do want to smash a single jagged red brick from some demo'ed debris from a construction site and jam it in his face!

He's probably an amazing musician but I see red when I see him...

And for some reason I'm fine with the rest of the band.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

filtersweep

Reaction score
Strange he evokes such a reaction.

I generally found him 'funny' on Letterman-- an appropriate foil for Dave, at least.

And what an amazing gig-- getting to play almost nightly for decades. But I do not recall him sitting in with every band.

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me he's just annoying. Geeky little dweeb saying "Cool cat", "I dig it man, I dig it", "Sooo hip", etc.

I sat in the audience twice at Late Night with David Letterman. Obviously, they were all really good musicians. Commercial times the music rocked.

The relationship between them was just an act. Just as the David Letterman on camera was a character he played, until near the end. After the show ended, Paul made it clear that he had never seen or spoken to David away from the show. No dinners, no phone calls when a member of Paul's family died, nothing. Letterman is a giant d**k.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Ahhh hes allright.......He said this:

"Everyone should own a shelter dog. When you look into the eyes of an animal youve rescued, you cant help but fall in love."

He also donates thousands to animal shelters so he may be a nutty crazy cat.....but I dig him. :cheers:

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Reaction score

"Everyone should own a shelter dog. When you look into the eyes of an animal youve rescued, you cant help but fall in love."

He also donates thousands to animal shelters so he may be a nutty crazy cat.....but I dig him. :cheers:

Ok now I'm sad because I'm an ass....anyone who helps the helpless is ok by me............I apologize Mr. Shaffer.

:( :( :(

Deftone

Reaction score

I do and he's right.

NHDave

Reaction score
He’s cool. I Have heard letterman is kind of a miserable dude. That said, I don’t expect artists to be their onstage persona.

Schaefer was hilarious as Artie Fufkin Polymer Records. I screwed up the timing, Kick my ass, for a man.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
I didn't mind him nudging into whatever guest band during the shows, really. It was a courtesy thing in the show and didn't really detract from the acts much.

Jack White, though. That bastid hopping in with literally everyone in the past 15 years gets annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if he didnt have that screechy voice and the highly manufactured tortured artist effect.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Wow..hate....such a strong word....I save that for assholes and mosquitos.....

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Met Shaffer twice. I was guitar tech for Jeff Healey and Paul came to the studio during the recording of "Feel This" to play on some of the tracks. The second time when Healey played the Ontario Place Forum in Toronto....Paul flew in and played with Jeff as a guest. The drum tech and I drove to Richmond Hill to pick up a Hammond B3 for Paul. I remember loading that B3 in to the venue and setting it up. I went to Shaffer's dressing room to let him know that the organ was delivered and they were ready for soundcheck. He was busy smoking hash in a pipe....just grunted at me. In fact Shaffer never once said a word to me.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Met Shaffer twice. I was guitar tech for Jeff Healey and Paul came to the studio during the recording of "Feel This" to play on some of the tracks. The second time when Healey played the Ontario Place Forum in Toronto....Paul flew in and played with Jeff as a guest. The drum tech and I drove to Richmond Hill to pick up a Hammond B3 for Paul. I remember loading that B3 in to the venue and setting it up. I went to Shaffer's dressing room to let him know that the organ was delivered and they were ready for soundcheck. He was busy smoking hash in a pipe....just grunted at me. In fact Shaffer never once said a word to me.
I miss Jeff Healey. What a great performer and player. I know you earned everything you do Freddy, but you have a very cool life!! :)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He's a bit of a douche-bag, for sure.

But, if you look at his musical accomplishments, he is really one of the greats. Just a little bit better than Alex VanHalen and Michael Anthony... wouldn't ya think? :laugh2:

judson

Reaction score
no opinion of paul really he just had a great gig there for years...

dave was the funniest guy on the planet when he first started the show...

the last few years of the show he was a complete dick when every word out of his mouth was political.....

zero humor and his show and audience left in droves....but he didnt care

dave make me laugh i dont give a rats azz about your political beliefs...

they were proven wrong then and are wrong still today and i am sure he is a super dick now....

sit alone on your ranch dave and suck a horse dick.......nobody but your horse is listening to you...

:rofl:

Latest Threads