Why Do Gibson 50s & 60s Les Pauls Have "Modern" Looking Tuners?

nsink

Reaction score
Hope this hasn't been covered before, but I'd really like to know why the latest Gibson 50s and 60s Standard models have modern looking tuners. The 50s comes with "deluxe" tuners which are reminiscent of Klusons, where the 60s have Grovers. However, both have the BIG washers on the front of the headstock. If they were period correct, wouldn't they have the smaller 8mm holes and NO washer vs the larger 10mm hole and BOWs (big 'ol washers)?

Also, if one were to try to replace the tuners on one of these guitars, would there be a ring left from the large washers? Anyone tried this?

Attachments

tigerflame

Reaction score
The 50s and 60s lines are not total reproductions. There are many things about them that are not to spec. They are "mostly there" with some modern appointments for player comfort and ease of use. If you're looking for something more period-correct, you are looking for one of the R guitars or something higher up.

Knoby

Reaction score
Yep, as above . Also, I will go against traditionalist opinion and say I think the modern screw down shaft is a better and more reliable design. Because it provides stronger contact of the tuner to the head, and a larger contact area.

Last edited:

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's probably because they don't want to compete too much with the reissues. They want them closer than in the past, but not too close.
Nailed it. The Kluson press bushing tuners are actually less expensive, so Gibson clearly does this to keep the Nashville line from being “too accurate.” Damn shame. It’s been a gripe of mine for years. If they were smart, tack on a few extra bucks and offer up the Nashville History Line of Les Pauls. Plastics and such from the CS line (which is also pennies in volume) for a more accurate offering in the Original Collection.

tigerflame

Reaction score
Yep, as above . Also, I will go against traditionalist opinion and say I think the modern screw down shaft is a better and more reliable design. Because it provides stronger contact of the tuner to the head, and a larger contact area.
Agreed. I like the version that exists.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gotta open your wallet even more for the details.... That said the new standards are fair in todays market at 2500. These aren't made for the guitar geeks, they are made with a vintage/simple vibe for every player.

I love mine... thinking about dumping some stuff i don't use and getting a slash one too...

bum

Reaction score
Just so I am clear, we're talking about the size of washers on tuners here?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just so I am clear, we're talking about the size of washers on tuners here?
Press-in bushings versus bolt-in bushings. Press-in doesn't have a washer. The 10mm bolt style uses a washer.

bum

Reaction score
Ah gotcha, I'll have to look and see what I have going on on mine

Latest Threads