Why buy Gibson USA

jmg257

Reaction score
Cool! :)

Funny thing, I call my "Gotta have the COA, OHSC, box if possible(?!?) etc." thing my "EBay syndrome"! I got so used to getting more $$ way back when dealing with other stuff (militaria mostly, cameras, etc)...trying to get top dollar when selling and 'mint' when buying, that I know I am too anal about all that stuff! Drives my local shop nuts! (and my wife what with empty guitar and gun boxes all over).

And you're right - who plays a COA??? Or the box?? Or the manuals? But Man, I make sure I get that COA and case candy if there is supposed to be some! (And that it's right #-wise too!). And I'll take the box if I can get it. I can't help it! With fakes these days figure it (COA) could make a diff, even though I buy with no intention of selling.

It is good to know that it is not as big a deal on EBay for many as I thought.
Cheers!

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
Cool! :)

Funny thing, I call my "Gotta have the COA, OHSC, box if possible(?!?) etc." thing my "EBay syndrome"! I got so used to getting more $$ way back when dealing with other stuff (militaria mostly, cameras, etc)...trying to get top dollar when selling and 'mint' when buying, that I know I am too anal about all that stuff! Drives my local shop nuts! (and my wife what with empty guitar and gun boxes all over).

And you're right - who plays a COA??? Or the box?? Or the manuals? But Man, I make sure I get that COA and case candy if there is supposed to be some! (And that it's right #-wise too!). And I'll take the box if I can get it. I can't help it! With fakes these days figure it (COA) could make a diff, even though I buy with no intention of selling.

It is good to know that it is not as big a deal on EBay for many as I thought.
Cheers!

Yes ,I try to get that stuff too if its available but if not, I don't worry about it .

As far as COA's go, their are millions of Counterfit COA's too . If you lose yours or need another with correct numbers they can be had quite easily.

All you have to have is a descent printer and some thick paper and you can print out blanks all day long . The blanks are filled in by hand in plain old pen ink .

white it out and print away . There's no special paper or anti-counterfiet measures on the COA's and you can buy them on E-bay too.

So realy the COA has very little meaning anyway.

All historics are stamped with their R designation in the control cavitly so if you are not faniliar enough with being able to tell a real one just looking at a pic (most people in the know can) then you take out the four screws on the back plate and there it is . the cavity under the back plate has a differen't carve as well (historically accurate) for short shaft pots .and that is very distinguishable from any other Gibson as well .So bottom line it only takes a quick pic of the control cavity to make sure its not fake. There are tons of other ways to tell too from just looking at the outside and they are extensive so I won't go into it

. Complete sets of case candy with a blank COA can also be purchased .if you get a killer deal without all that stuff . you can get it .

Most other serious guitar seller and buyers know this so don't realy even bother about it . I've never purchased any of it and it doesn't effect re-sale .Hell even guitar center loses the COA's to their own stock and doesn't give discounts when they can't find it .

Cheers:thumb:

DRF

Reaction score
I dont know what the custom shops does, but the better woods do make a real difference, don't expect to have the same wood on any non custom shop instrument, the frets are different, less tall, fatter and they feel great and i could not be happier with the neck, its a HUGE neck, just right for my hands and i could care less if its not shaped exactly like a 58, it feel 100 times better then a USA standard.

You can say you do not see any differences, but until you actually own one how could you possibly understand this kind of superior instrument.

If you are really serious about your guitars, then you most own at least one historic, if not, well continue buying the USA non CS line, i have 2 standards that you have probably seen around here, i love them and could not part from them, but they are inferior instrument compared to a historic, its very simple.

Okay I won't get into the semantics of basically whats a better car-a Topaz or a Taurus- U.S vs CS but lets see here...

I don't know what the custom shop does either,wood wise-maybe they have a certain weight bracket they fall in between but I would guess thats it. I don't care what insiders say,I mean what else are they gonna say besides the premium sales pitch.

The feel of an instrument such as fret size is personal preference -just like tone is. Just like wood figure is. Guys say "I'm more about the tone,the other types go for the fancy tops". So what? figure has nothing to do with tone.

I owned a '68 reissue custom shop. It was a great L.P and weighed like 12lbs which didn't bother me though. I owned a 92 standard,also an equally great L.P. I currently own a 98 standard double cut-you can get them for like $900 bucks now. I'll put it up against any gibson custom shop but once again tone is subjective. As is the body style.

I am serious about serious guitars. I love serious guitars,I f**king know serious guitars,I am serious guitars:laugh2:...and I will continue to NOT buy Gibson L.P's for the time being. Well maybe one with a sweet top.:cool:

FWIW I've got a date with a few music stores around here that carry CS and I will go in with an open mind.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
Okay I won't get into the semantics of basically whats a better car-a Topaz or a Taurus- U.S vs CS but lets see here...

I don't know what the custom shop does either,wood wise-maybe they have a certain weight bracket they fall in between but I would guess thats it. I don't care what insiders say,I mean what else are they gonna say besides the premium sales pitch.

The feel of an instrument such as fret size is personal preference -just like tone is. Just like wood figure is. Guys say "I'm more about the tone,the other types go for the fancy tops". So what? figure has nothing to do with tone.

I owned a '68 reissue custom shop. It was a great L.P and weighed like 12lbs which didn't bother me though. I owned a 92 standard,also an equally great L.P. I currently own a 98 standard double cut-you can get them for like $900 bucks now. I'll put it up against any gibson custom shop but once again tone is subjective. As is the body style.

I am serious about serious guitars. I love serious guitars,I f**king know serious guitars,I am serious guitars:laugh2:...and I will continue to NOT buy Gibson L.P's for the time being. Well maybe one with a sweet top.:cool:

FWIW I've got a date with a few music stores around here that carry CS and I will go in with an open mind.

Yep I agree .They are all great guitars. My number 2 is a 68 RI as well. My other les pauls just can't get the modern bite that guitar has . I think its due to the ebony board ?

I don't use it for classic rock though its got too much bight for that. Its more of a 90's sound .

Bottom line is they all have there use and are all different .

Once you get used to playing the CS stuff though you will find it is difficult to get inspiration from your USA stuff. At least it was for me

your mileage may varry :hmm:

Latest Threads