Why buy Gibson USA

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
I think tonequest report said it best. There's tone and there's flame. It's cool if you want the raddest looking flame topped guitars. I just had a custom guitar made and I sprang for the flame maple to hedge the resale value a bit. But, if you're chasing flame and that's all you're doing you aren't chasing tone. A plain cap and a flamed cap won't sound any different. I like to keep my options open.

Which version of the Fuchs ODS do you have? I had a quickrod for a bit. It was a cool amp and it sounded pretty cool. not really my cup of tea but it was definitely solid.

Triple drive supreme . Theres a couple vids of me playin it in my signature link below. I've always been A marshall plexi/Jcm 800 guy for the most part so the Splawn works for me . Thats basically the two sounds the spalwn street rod does:dude:

Couldn't agree more about the flame chasin . I like a good flame but my R7 gold top is by far my nicest sounding guitar .Its even better sounding than 2 out of three of my replica's .

It just has some mojo that none of my other guitars have . Really big thick midrange .

My ebony 68 RI Vos is my next favorite and no flame on it either

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Triple drive supreme . Theres a couple vids of me playin it in my signature link below. I've always been A marshall plexi/Jcm 800 guy for the most part so the Splawn works for me . Thats basically the two sounds the spalwn street rod does:dude:

Couldn't agree more about the flame chasin . I like a good flame but my R7 gold top is by far my nicest sounding guitar .Its even better sounding than 2 out of three of my replica's .

It just has some mojo that none of my other guitars have . Really big thick midrange .

My ebony 68 RI Vos is my next favorite and no flame on it either

Ya for Marshall guys the splawn is great. I found a used slo for a only a few hundred more then the qr I had though. Right place right time and went for it. I've wanted to try a tds forever. I've got a 100w ods that's my bluzak amp.

This isn't a les paul but in regards to flame. I usually prefer plainer top guitars. A lot of the more modern flames are kinda tacky I think. But, when I was ordering this guitar..I actually went back and forth a bunch. The flame top only cost me 400 more and that was well spent considering I'll never think I wish I had gotten the flame. The 400 will come back some other time.

DT7001.jpg

The flame on my DC is still my favorite though...

nice and understated

DSC_0359.jpg

but then again...a nice semi-transparent finish over a really nice looking piece of wood is excellent as well

_DSC0639.jpg

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
Nice guitars ,Love the fretless 7 string ,very cool, I always wanted A DC but still havn't picked one up yet . This is my most flamed guitar /Replica . Just picked it up recently

A0071.jpg

one of my favorites 68 RI
Custom.jpg

sold this one recently
11.jpg

stuff011.jpg

another fun guitar
stuff002.jpg

this is the ESP I drop shipped for a friend in Isreal recently
stuff001.jpg

I've got about 25 guitars right now .one day soon I'll put them all together and take a pic

i think one of my coolest collectors guitars is my American Showster AS57 .Its not just show either . It plays like a dream.

Want to try a Slo too .thats one of the few amps I've never owned. Tryed one at GC once but couldn't crank it and get a good feel for the amp.

The TDS is definately my best amp for clean tones and a realy nice smooth drive too but not quite gritty enough for straight up Rock & Roll, for me anyway.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
This is only your "Opinion" that R7s & R8s are "Better" guitars than R9s. I'd enjoy any of them but won't fall into that trap.

Reread my post. Never did I say R7s and R8s were necessarly better than R9s (although, varying from guitar to guitar it is certainly possible tonewise - no general rule though). I was simply trying to get the guys foot in the door to a CS LP (whether it be R7 or R8) without breaking his bank (R9s have a 1.5k-2k markup because of the flametops). As I said, the guy won't have it because the R7s and R8s don't have flametops.

KenG

Reaction score
Reread my post. Never did I say R7s and R8s were necessarly better than R9s (although, varying from guitar to guitar it is certainly possible tonewise - no general rule though). I was simply trying to get the guys foot in the door to a CS LP (whether it be R7 or R8) without breaking his bank (R9s have a 1.5k-2k markup because of the flametops). As I said, the guy won't have it because the R7s and R8s don't have flametops.

I did and it read the same way to me the second and third time.
Maybe you didn't mean to say in that way but it's pretty plain that's what you said.
"....... I've been trying to turn him over to the the cheaper historics (R7 and R8s) as they are better guitars......" end Quote

RustyNuts

Reaction score
I think what he's trying to say is.....

I couldn't agree more. There is a guy on the Seymour Duncan Forum that seems to care more about looks though and would prefer to buy multiple flametop USAs just because he insists on owning Gibson flametop LPs (needless to say he isn't willing to pay the pricetag of an R9 new, let alone, used). I've been trying to turn him over to the the cheaper historics (R7 and R8s) as they are better guitars [than the flametop USAs] but he won't have it because they don't have flametops and are more expensive. Its a shame, cuz hes sure missing out....

fjabjr

Reaction score
Yep the Trad is a nice guitar . But there are many forum members including myself who will drop ship for ya. In other words get it delivered to there house and forward it on.

Of course you have to trust the person ,I've done exactly that for some friends in England ,Thailand,India and a few other places.

Theirs lots of stuff here they can't get in their home countrys and I'm always willing to help a brother out.

Had an ESP delivered to me for a friend in Isreal just a couple months ago.:naughty:

plus I will forward it on as a gift so they don't get hit with duties and Taxes in their home country .

It pays to be nice to me if you don't live in the USA. LOL

I know what its like. I lived in Canada most of my life and its hard getin the stuff you want for a fair price. Not so in the good old USA

Very cool of you to help others that don't have the "advantages" we have here in the USA. I salute you. :applause:

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
Moved to Kelowna from England in 67. Moved to Vancouver in 85. Moved to Mission in 91.

I lived in Kelowna for a year in the early 90's very nice there . Had a Small Hobby farm in Pitt Meadows for awhile then moved Downtown to a highrise condo in False creek. in the mid 90's.Got tired of the Taxes and moved to LA in 2000 then to Vegas two years ago.

My wife is From England (London) so We still spend a fair bit of time over there.

Cheers

logen99999

Reaction score
that is a monster deal. i hope this trend continues so when i finally get my promotion at work i'll celebrate by buying one of these.

KenG

Reaction score
^^ No COA, that devalues the instrument to a degree as far as pedigree goes. Don't know if the case is original either. If it plays great a good deal, if it doesn't it a pretty, good looking wall ornament.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
^^ No COA, that devalues the instrument to a degree as far as pedigree goes. Don't know if the case is original either. If it plays great a good deal, if it doesn't it a pretty, good looking wall ornament.

Are you suffering from depression?

has the cold and dark in the great white north frozen your brain ?

were you raped by your priest when you were 11 ?

Just trying to figure out where all your negativity is coming from ?

Pull up a couch and talk to me ?

I minored I psycology in college ,perhaps I can help.

Who gives a flying fuck about a COA and it does not diminish the value one bit.

I buy these all the time, For myself and for friends around the world.

The case is also original . not that it matters if it wasn't

and I've yet to play a custom shop that didn't play great .

Wall ornament !!!!! , Realy Dude, go sulk somewhere else and quit pissin on everyones parade.

KenG

Reaction score
^^ Again only your opinions seem to count. The minute someone disgarees with you, you fly off on a rant. COA does matter to many purchasers and yes the case may also matter to some or the phrase OHSC wouldn't be used as much as it is. Even custom shop guitars can have issues with playability in some cases. Not everyone sells for the reasons they say they do.
You don't like other's opinions, tough. Learn to live with it.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
^^ Again only your opinions seem to count. The minute someone disgarees with you, you fly off on a rant. COA does matter to many purchasers and yes the case may also matter to some or the phrase OHSC wouldn't be used as much as it is. Even custom shop guitars can have issues with playability in some cases. Not everyone sells for the reasons they say they do.
You don't like other's opinions, tough. Learn to live with it.

Ok . How many guitars have you bought off E-bay?

by your own admision . NONE !!!!!!

If it does matter to a buyer they don't buy it and someone else who doesn't care does and it does not effect the value.

I have bought hundreds of guitars off E-bay and never had a single problem

you are the one that has opinions that are not based on any knowledge,experience or fact what so ever .

everything I've said is based on real life facts ,knowledge and experience

Tell me I'm wrong , Sheesh !!!!!!!

Don't you have some reading or home improvement projects to do ?

these are facts not opinions .

HRC

Reaction score
I think most people would want the COA. And the original case would be nice.

jmg257

Reaction score
I would prefer the case candy, definitely want the COA, and certainly want the original case (it isn't). Not worth it to me otherwise, not for $2000 - & likley not for $1800 either. For a few more hundred I'd prefer buying new with all the proper trimmings, and to try it 1st too.

Don't care how many guitars are bought & sold on EBay and by whom, some people are obviously looking for different things when they buy a guitar...In the guitar itself, in the accessories, & in the experience. Some apparently have lower expectations in the package they can get for (less) money then others - which is fine. The couple guitars I bought via Ebay were..basically ok and at good prices - but both had enough issues to be 'not right' so weren't keepers - not what I was looking for in a guitar. No need or desire to try again...just not worth it.

Some people find their niche on EBay and should enjoy it (I have on occasion for other items/collectables - but not guitars). The rest of us will enjoy our way of doing things. Not a big deal really, and that way we'll all sleep at night.

No psychological sessions required.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
I would prefer the case candy, definitely want the COA, and certainly want the original case (it isn't). Not worth it to me otherwise, not for $2000 - & likley not for $1800 either. For a few more hundred I'd prefer buying new with all the proper trimmings, and to try it 1st too.

Don't care how many guitars are bought & sold on EBay and by whom, some people are obviously looking for different things when they buy a guitar...In the guitar itself, in the accessories, & in the experience. Some apparently have lower expectations in the package they can get for (less) money then others - which is fine. The couple guitars I bought via Ebay were..basically ok and at good prices - but both had enough issues to be 'not right' so weren't keepers - not what I was looking for in a guitar. No need or desire to try again...just not worth it.

Some people find their niche on EBay and should enjoy it (I have on occasion for other items/collectables - but not guitars). The rest of us will enjoy our way of doing things. Not a big deal really, and that way we'll all sleep at night.

No psychological sessions required.

Fair enough :laugh2::laugh2:

And that is true some people want all that stuff and some don't care. I happen to be one of them that doesn't care.

I buy guitars to play them and don't care about case candy or COA's that I won't use and mean nothing to me . After all you can easily tell a historic is a historic you don't need a coa to do that.

It also does not effect the price when selling on the Bay .Those who want that stuff smply won't buy and others like myself will .

I understand some are uncomfortable with the process and thats their right but it is wrong to assume you are taking some kind of big risk. You are not !!!!!

If its not what you want you re-sell and get your money back.

It just gets old when I hear others talk about risks and lemmons when they've never even done it .

It just doesn't happen .E-bay has ratings and paypal to protect you .

If the seller has lied and you payed through paypal ,Paypal will withdraw the funds back from their account and credit you back.

You have to have a verified account with paypal and they have the power to do this. I've never once had to use this option

Also if the seller is a liar he will not last long because as soon as people see he has a negative rating they will no longer purchace from them.

If you are not honest on E-bay you are shut out very quickly.

I only purchase from those with strong ,long term, positive feedback and you are assured you are getting what you pay for

on the other hand if you buy from someone who is listing something for the first time and has no rating you are indeed taking some risk .but you are still protected through paypal.

I don't even consider buying from anyone who does not have an established track record . Not because I'm worried about getting ripped off or losing my money .Just because I don't want the hassle of dealing with a Newbie who's shipping is often tardy and understanding of the process is weak .I know I am protected if he's lied .

I've never encoutered a problem and completed hundreds of transactions.If you learn the process and buy from established sellers you will rarely have an issue.

Many of these people use E-bay etensively(many even make their living from it) and can't afford to mess up their ratings

So if you've never done it and don't know the process don't go spreading falacies that there is big risk and ton of lemmons out there.

The facts are the complete opposite. If you educate yourself you will have great buying and selling experiences on E-bay and have a ton of access to things you would otherwise not.

My point is if you wish to believe all the negative nelly BS you are missing out

I know these things from actual practice and they are facts . So don't tell me thats not the way it is

It is the way it is !!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

Latest Threads