Why buy Gibson USA

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
I think anyone who spends their money on a gibson USA is nuts. Especialy when you can get this for less

Gibson Custom Shop 57 Les Paul Goldtop - eBay (item 300461498938 end time Sep-05-10 13:28:52 PDT)

I'm not accociated with this auction in any way ,but with used historics at all time low prices .Why buy a USA model when you can get a custom shop which is 10 times better for less money than a new USA model ?

I recenly saw 1960 VOS GO models go for the low $1700 . If you like the thinner neck. These are great guitars.

I own 5 historics and 3 replica's and could never go back to playing the regular USA models.

Just sayin:cool:

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Given the used R7 and R8 prices, I agree.

veeman

Reaction score
Maybe because if you look hard enough, one can find a USA LP for half the price that is every bit as good as a Custom Shop model?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I agree with you 99%. The other 1% of me says:

a) there are Gibson USA guitars out there that are as good or better than some historics. My Traditional is one.
b) I would not pay $2,000 to a person on eBay with only 35 transactions.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe because if you look hard enough, one can find a USA LP for half the price that is every bit as good as a Custom Shop model?

You won't find a used Standard for half of the $1700 that you can find R7/R8s for.

veeman

Reaction score
You won't find a used Standard for half of the $1700 that you can find R7/R8s for.

Well no, I meant for half the price of a new CS. But I guess we're talking used.

River

Reaction score
I agree with you 99%. The other 1% of me says there are Gibson USA guitars out there that are as good or better than some historics. My Traditional is one.
I don't own one, put I played one the other day myself. Belonged to the music store owner (who doesn't carry Gibsons :)).

Used Historic prices are very attractive right now. But some of us are in a spot trying to find good guitars from trustworthy sellers at those attractive prices. A good price and a good guarantee could easily get me into a new USA model.

KenG

Reaction score
Where are these cheap Re-Issues? When I look to reputable used dealers the prices mentioned here & othe rposts are nowhere near the posted prices listed. Even EBay prices are often higher than what you gentlemen are talking.
When you buy from "just some guy" there's always a chance you'll have issues IMO.
No warranty, no return and how do you know you're not just inheriting someone else's problems?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where are these cheap Re-Issues? When I look to reputable used dealers the prices mentioned here & othe rposts are nowhere near the posted prices listed. Even EBay prices are often higher than what you gentlemen are talking.
When you buy from "just some guy" there's always a chance you'll have issues IMO.
No warranty, no return and how do you know you're not just inheriting someone else's problems?

So you only buy new guitars?

You can find used R7s/R8s for $2k on eBay all day long. And, if it ends up being one that you don't like - sell it again for what you paid for it. Not a huge deal. I've yet to have a guitar out of the 40 or so I've owned that had any issues not easily addressed with a bit of solder or a setup.

River

Reaction score
Exactly.

There are some real savvy traders around here, and I'm not one of them. And I've seen many of them get burned.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Even EBay prices are often higher than what you gentlemen are talking.
There's a "make an offer" option on a lot of eBay listings. You should try it sometime.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
So you only buy new guitars?

You can find used R7s/R8s for $2k on eBay all day long. And, if it ends up being one that you don't like - sell it again for what you paid for it. Not a huge deal. I've yet to have a guitar out of the 40 or so I've owned that had any issues not easily addressed with a bit of solder or a setup.

Yep . I agree .I have purchased dozens of guitars off E-bay and never had a single issue that couldn't be fixed with a simple set up.

I've bought sold and traded many of them and never lost a dime . Thats how I wound up with the keepers I have now .

You could litterally buy dozens of them until you got the one made for you and never lose a penny. In fact on many of them I actually made money.

:hmm:

PINKBITS

Reaction score
I doubt Hysterics are always "better"

They should be, but I doubt that is always the case.

The cork in this thread is abundant :laugh2:

Why buy a Gibson at all when you could get a high end Tokai :hmm: :D

EasyAce

Reaction score

I have two. Both of which cost less each than the final winning bid on the Custom Shop R7 to which the OP linked. (I could have had three of my '06 Studio for the winning bid on that R7 . . . ) And both of which play like butter on a muffin.

Not that I wouldn't mind an R, you understand . . .

River

Reaction score

What a Dick... :rolleyes:

Srsly, no, they're not. That AAAA Flame Top or whatever the heck it was I played the other day was a great guitar, and had a slim neck like my '92 Standard. I had my Hysteric with me at the time, so it was a valid comparison. Yeah, we were having a "show me yours and I'll show you mine" session. :)

Some folks' lifestyle just isn't compatible with buying off eBay and flipping lemons. Bully to those whose is.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
What a Dick... :rolleyes:

Srsly, no, they're not. That AAAA Flame Top or whatever the heck it was I played the other day was a great guitar, and had a slim neck like my '92 Standard. I had my Hysteric with me at the time, so it was a valid comparison. Yeah, we were having a "show me yours and I'll show you mine" session. :)

Some folks' lifestyle just isn't compatible with buying off eBay and flipping lemons. Bully to those whose is.

I don't flip lemons, nor of all the guitars I've purchased off E-bay have any ever been lemons. Some you just bond with and some you don't . Mostly due to neck sizes, shapes,weight,pickups, whatever. They're all different. Some have the mojo you are looking for. Some will be more suited to someone else.:cool:

goodwater

Reaction score
I've got one Historic and three USAs, the Historic is a great guitar and is there is a noticeable difference in quality but it's not 10 times better than a USA in my opinion, not even twice a good...just a cut above. Maybe I've been lucky with my other Gibsons and have gotten really good ones---they are all early 90s and I have no complaints about them.

bonanza2252003

Reaction score

You can talk about Tokai or USA Vs. Historics models and debate that all day long.its a tiresome old arguement.

Never met a historic yet that didn't blow 99% of the USA or Tokai's out of the water. Whatever BS you wanna believe .they are simply a step above in many categories.

Better yet is a good Replica which is even a step up from most historics.Two out of the three of my Replica's blow all 5 of my Historics out of the water .
The third is on par with a good 59 Historic.

But of course thats a whole nother price catagory' Although some nice replica's have been selling around here lately in the $3000 range . Which is a pretty nice price for a historic killer.:cool:

bonanza2252003

Reaction score
I've got one Historic and three USAs, the Historic is a great guitar and is there is a noticeable difference in quality but it's not 10 times better than a USA in my opinion, not even twice a good...just a cut above. Maybe I've been lucky with my other Gibsons and have gotten really good ones---they are all early 90s and I have no complaints about them.

yes 10 times is a bit of an exageration but they are a step above in many ways and there is no debating that IMHO.:cool:

Latest Threads