why buy a Gibson?

Pappy35

Reaction score
My 2020 Epi 60's Standard was my gateway drug...

...to my new Gibson 50's Standard.

The Epi plays great and it's my #2 guitar but the Gibby is nicer in every way. One was $500 and the other was $2,500. Is the Gibby worth 5x the price? Depends on what standard you use but it was to me.

Jonathan_alvarez

Reaction score
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ok guys, cool down . Let's stick to the original post .
why buy a Gibson? ... because I can , because I have the means to do it .
The other question about Epi wasn't made , but
why buy a Epi? ... because I can , because I have the means to do it .

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
For all the bashing of Gibson "cork sniffers" that I see on this forum, this post sums up the snobbery from the Epiphone fanboy side.
I didn’t really see that myself, but FYI: a snob is a high class person (wealthy) looking down on the lower (less fortunate) classes.

A definition which may also include those attempting to redefine common terms when words escape them? I dunno really...

Are you seriously comparing vintage Epiphone to today’s Epiphone?

:iough:
Yea man totally! Today’s guitars are much better quality than that overpriced historical plywood of yesteryear! It just goes to show you that it’s not about price, it’s about the player!

Hogie34

Reaction score
I didn’t really see that myself, but FYI: a snob is a high class person (wealthy) looking down on the lower (less fortunate) classes.

A definition which may also include those attempting to redefine common terms when words escape them? I dunno really...

Yea man totally! Today’s guitars are much better quality than that overpriced historical plywood of yesteryear! It just goes to show you that it’s not about price, it’s about the player!
:laugh2:

Pappy35

Reaction score
...and here I was thinking that this was a pretty good thread until it got ruined by a bunch of schoolyard name calling...

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeesh!

Here's what I saw:

The member gibsonofabitch really *did* post favorably towards Gibson guitars in posts #156 and #157. Hard to suggest otherwise, when among his other utterances was, "I perceive Gibson as the superior guitar..."

I'm not sure as to how member Jim H could have concluded otherwise, let alone to have decided that the level of defensiveness Jim H exhibited in post #161 was called for. In fact, even if gibsonofabitch *did* slag Gibson guitars, it wouldn't have justified the diatribe that Jim H launched into in his response.

So for a minute there, the only member I was miffed by was Jim H. That changed, however, with post #163 by gibsonofabitch.

Everything rolled along fine in that one, and I could see it as just, up until the last sentence, when gibsonofabitch decided to refer to Jim H as a "cunt".

Post #170, with Jim "apologizing" wasn't so irksome, though at various moments the sincerity of the gesture wasn't overwhelmingly evident. But at least it wasn't as bad as post #171, when gibsonofabitch decided that it was time to go full ad hominem.

Enough!

Gentlemen: this sort of heated bickering is simply not necessary. Ultimately, what does it matter, what some guy you don't even really know thinks about something?

Both members are thread-banned. But the more gratuitously insulting post gibsonofabitch treated the board to in post #171 calls for something a little stiffer in addition to the thread ban.

See you in a few days, then.

--R

Last edited:

ucsteve

Reaction score
ah, selective snarkery...
guess i should have used a gif

DrBGood

Reaction score
It was more like his 2020 Toyota Camry XSE was better than a 2020 Lexus IS.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Shoot guitars are a bit like cars aren’t they? Point A to Point B and all that... They both get the job done!

I’m happy for people that find value in El Cheapos, (I’m going to post in the cheapest guitar thread where I might finally be the “winner” lol) and I’m also happy for those who find value in high end guitars.

Music makes the world go round! I really wouldn’t mind a bit more admiration, celebration and respect in the wide world of guitar music. At least we are, as a collective, (intentionally or otherwise,) keeping “real” music and musical instruments alive, and not some computer generated virtual garbage!

But I wouldn’t mind having any holy grail after all, like a blonde custom or black beauty, and I’ve never really understood why people trash and bash so much. There’s a reason some designs stand the test of time and are been copied world over.

Which is partly why people buy a Gibson. It’s original, authentic and usually more expensive. Nothing wrong with that at all. There are many alternatives, and I truly believe it’s good to have so many.

I’d much rather a kid (or anyone really) pick up a guitar for hours a day than a cell phone! And a really nice Gibson costs less than that, so what the hell is the argument anyway?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
yeah...i love my low end gibbies and many of the new epis,but i have to admit id like to have a 1973 LP custom with t-tops just as much as the next guy.its just not gonna happen in this lifetime...

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah...i love my low end gibbies and many of the new epis,but i have to admit id like to have a 1973 LP custom with t-tops just as much as the next guy.its just not gonna happen in this lifetime...
Yep... that's one reason I bought the Joe-B LP Custom.
I've always wanted a Custom... though I have a Standard, and Epiphone is the only way I'll ever own a 3-pickup Black Beauty.
The minor "collectible" status makes it an easier pill to swallow, but in reality, it's only $250 more than a production Epiphone Custom, and it comes with a hardcase and an extra pickup, so there's really not much of a premium price attached.

Latest Threads