why buy a Gibson?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
How many years is a... lets say $800 guitar good for. I mean a Gibson Les Paul is good for 50 years or more, so is an Epiphone Les Paul good for 50 years or more if taken care of well?
I don't see why not.
I have a Kramer that I bought at the Santa Ana Guitar Center in 1984, as well as an Epiphone Sheraton that I got around '95.
Granted, neither sees regular use, but if taken care of, there's no reason a solid body or semi-hollow electric can't last forever. Biggest issues would be oxidation in the switch contacts and pots, which are generally easy to handle with DeOxit (or replacement).

A stable environment will protect the neck and body.

Jim H

Reaction score
IMG_1479.jpg

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special, and I liked it so much that I decided that I wanted to invest in the Gibson version. I have them both side by side now to evaluate them and decide if the Gibson is worth keeping considering the difference in price. It's a tough call, I would like to say that the Epiphone is just as good, but it just isn't. Don't get me wrong, the Epi is an outstanding guitar, but as others here have said, there is something about the way the Gibson feels and plays that the Epi can't touch. Is the Epi worth the $400 price tag? Absolutely, and then some. Is the Gibson worth $1000+ more? That's for each player to decide. But the Epi will never be a Gibson no matter what mods you do to it.

Just one man's opinion...

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you're worried about supporting China just buy used. There are plenty of good used Epi's out there and for pennies on the dollar too!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
dont know about where you are but this little epi special(2020) is the only one ive seen in the music stores i go into.was jonesin for it,saw it,and bought it.no shame in my game...

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
true enough,as individuals we will not influence world events.and just because something is made in USA,the individual parts or materials may be sourced elsewhere.imagine all those CS shop owners supporting brazil buying brazillian mahogany...
International wood trade can be pretty suspect industry from what I’ve read a little about, that’s partly why CITES has to step in, and I’ve also read a bit how many makers are looking to alternatives.

I’ve been eyeing the Gibson Sustainable Acoustic series, made with N American Walnut, Spruce and a beeswax finish. But these are probably not super popular options and only represent a small number of their acoustics.

I believe Indian Rosewood is a highly regulated and managed forest industry and not subject to exploitation or being endangered, and have also heard that swamp ash or alder is being depleted?

I also thought most Mahogany was Honduran?

For electric guitars, it’s a whole different ball game!

It’s a difficult question to ask because it’s a good thing to have affordable guitars for more people but also important to look at the bigger picture. For example is it really the consumer to blame? I dunno...

(I’m not a tree-hugger or anything I just believe that forests need to be managed better a lot of the time.)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
International wood trade can be pretty suspect industry from what I’ve read a little about, that’s partly why CITES has to step in, and I’ve also read a bit how many makers are looking to alternatives.

I’ve been eyeing the Gibson Sustainable Acoustic series, made with N American Walnut, Spruce and a beeswax finish. But these are probably not super popular options and only represent a small number of their acoustics.

I believe Indian Rosewood is a highly regulated and managed forest industry and not subject to exploitation or being endangered, and have also heard that swamp ash or alder is being depleted?

I also thought most Mahogany was Honduran?

For electric guitars, it’s a whole different ball game!

It’s a difficult question to ask because it’s a good thing to have affordable guitars for more people but also important to look at the bigger picture. For example is it really the consumer to blame? I dunno...

(I’m not a tree-hugger or anything I just believe that forests need to be managed better a lot of the time.)
i bought a martin xm-1 last year,pretty nice budget acoustic/electric made pretty much from leftover bits and pieces that would otherwise be unusable.not as fancy as the pricier martins but it sounds damn good...

Fat Elppie

Reaction score
I've never owned a Gibson of any kind. Would I like to? Yes. Is it justifiable by logic? No entirely considering how good the latest Epis are. But, were I to suddenly have 50k to blow on as many Gibsons as possible - It wouldn't matter if it's justifiable. Currently my tiny collection is an American Pro Stratocaster, A 2020 Charvel Pro Mod So Cal and the 1959 Epi I just bought. I recently gave away a 1960 Tribute+ and a 2014 MiM Strat with D Allen pups to family members. As little as I play any of my guitars, it's not really justifiable that I own a First Act guitar lol.

To the original OP. I understand what you're saying. Gibson's may on average be 10% better compared to latest LP's (totally debatable number I pulled out of thin air) but there will always be that stigma and "historic" preference. I'm also in the camp of the infamous headstock debate. I much prefer the Gibson. My wallet much prefers the Epis lol.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my first true wraparound bridge guitar when I bought a 2007 Melody Maker. I could be very happy with a 2020 Special. Or a used one as long as it has that bridge.

DrBGood

Reaction score
They are both 2020's.
I wonder it you would have seen much difference between them, if they had been given to you blindfolded before you got to be familiar with them.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I wonder it you would have seen much difference between them, if they had been given to you blindfolded before you got to be familiar with them.
Finish wise, there is a different feel...especially once you own the Gibson for a number of years...

Jim H

Reaction score
It's anybody's guess, I suppose. I am certain that they feel different to me, though.

ucsteve

Reaction score
I know that I had a nice Ibanez guitar, and I kept it in great shape over the years. For a while when life got busy, it just sat in it's case for a few years. Anyway, I pulled it back out and it was just not the same guitar. Very hard to play and keep in tune after several attempts from different luthiers. It was like the guitar neck was a bit warped or something, and I did keep it in the case that it came with.

How many years is a... lets say $800 guitar good for. I mean a Gibson Les Paul is good for 50 years or more, so is an Epiphone Les Paul good for 50 years or more if taken care of well?
A friend of mine just got an old 60s era Epi and its a great guitar. I would have to think the recent Epi LP's should hold up fine over time. I see lots of great Epi's from ther 90s and early 2000s all the time. I love my 02, they were built pretty good with meh electronics and stuff. easy fix. As far as yer Ibanez, thats odd. My last employer had an amazing 80s strat that was a back up for the 1st run. I was like, why arent you playing this thing every night its awesome. So it got back in the rotation. And my cheap Fujigen made early 70s LP still holds up, and Im pretty sure they were pumping the Ibanez's out there at the same time. Hell, my 65 Harmony is in great shape, and that was a dept store special back then. So I think my 2020 will most likely out live me at this point.

As far as my chinese refugees...I have liberated them from oppressive rule.
All guitars seeking freedom, are welcome here

Last edited:

ucsteve

Reaction score
But to the Op's point, If I wanted just one guitar...it would prob be a Gibson. But Im just not ready to settle down yet

Reaction score
why epiphone? BC 399 for TV Yellow Special sounds better than $1600 for a Gibson TV Yellow special but here I am still undecided between the two.

As someone who never considered an epiphone before this week, its because I perceive Gibson as the superior guitar (and my favorite musicians play them) so its worth saving up a little bit longer for a guitar I know will be around a while

Reaction score
View attachment 493666

I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special, and I liked it so much that I decided that I wanted to invest in the Gibson version. I have them both side by side now to evaluate them and decide if the Gibson is worth keeping considering the difference in price. It's a tough call, I would like to say that the Epiphone is just as good, but it just isn't. Don't get me wrong, the Epi is an outstanding guitar, but as others here have said, there is something about the way the Gibson feels and plays that the Epi can't touch. Is the Epi worth the $400 price tag? Absolutely, and then some. Is the Gibson worth $1000+ more? That's for each player to decide. But the Epi will never be a Gibson no matter what mods you do to it.

Just one man's opinion...
this post captures what I was trying to say. Would love to hear additional opinions/insights between the two if possible. And if the gibsons for sale and youre in the bay area, LMK haha

Jonathan_alvarez

Reaction score
Many factors apply for that moment when you decide to buy a guitar.
In many many cases, money is a big factor.
It's not easy for everyone to drop 3 - 4 times or more for an instrument that is , let's say 20% better (just to give a random number , as it will be very difficult to measure what is what)
Please don't forget that the prices in the USA are different than in the rest of the world. Not everyone lives in the USA, not everyone see the same prices.

For example, here in Australia:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Ebony $879.95
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony $2,719.95

Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50's - Heritage Cherry Sunburst $975.00
Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's - Heritage Cherry Sunburst $4,159.00

So unless you are person who can really justify all that money on a guitar or you are a guitar collector, Epiphone guitars have all you need as a guitar player.

Snobs apart (and I keep doubting), the audience will rarely notice if you are playing the Gibson or the Epi version of the same guitar by the sound of it out of pedals / amp / speakers.
And no, the Gibson Junior does not sound as good a Epi Standard , for comparison reasons.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
For example, here in Australia:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Ebony $879.95
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony $2,719.95

Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50's - Heritage Cherry Sunburst $975.00
Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's - Heritage Cherry Sunburst $4,159.00
First of all, I would like to say thank you (and any other international buyers) for supporting our industry and making it possible for us in the USA to buy cheap consumer goods!

Re. those prices: that is crazy! I bought an LP Studio for less money than your Epi goes for!

And what of all the great music made on both Epis and Gibsons. I think there is much more difference between Gibson and Epiphone acoustics, but both are fully capable instruments and ultimately nobody cares what you use to make good music!

(Except for wealthy snobs who sometimes decry other people for various “virtue signaling” while doing precisely that when they say “I’ll never buy any ******* made in China” lol yea right. Blablaba...)

Gibson knows this quite well and caters to it to great effect with their pricing and marketing strategies.

But let me ask this:

Has as anyone ever said this with a straight face?

Man the Beatles sure would have sounded better if they didn’t play Epiphones!

Fair to say we wouldn’t even be having this discussion if not for the Fab Four!

Latest Threads