why buy a Gibson?

jvin248

Reaction score

Too much fragile headstock breakage and repair drama with Gibson.
Epiphone models have all the headstock fixes in place (lower angle, scarf joint, smaller truss nut pocket) to make them much more durable. Gibson headstock repair happens and the guitar will only sell for half an unbroken used guitar sells for -- that's quite a value hit.

horax

Reaction score
I’ve owned both.
I recently had a gibson standard 50. Awesome, but sold it.

two weeks back I got a Tommy thayer epipjone lp...awesome guitar! Took it to the store and A/B it with a gibby standard....like the tommy Thayer better. Go figure. Great pickups and awesome finish.
Tonight I ordered a gibson lp tribute...so will see. If I don’t like it I will get an Epi bonamassa.
I play what I like and what makes me happy.

Jonathan_alvarez

Reaction score
I’ve owned both.
I recently had a gibson standard 50. Awesome, but sold it.

two weeks back I got a Tommy thayer epipjone lp...awesome guitar! Took it to the store and A/B it with a gibby standard....like the tommy Thayer better. Go figure. Great pickups and awesome finish.
Tonight I ordered a gibson lp tribute...so will see. If I don’t like it I will get an Epi bonamassa.
I play what I like and what makes me happy.
I wish I could order instruments as I please ... good on you mate.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I can’t imagine this debate is still hot although plain truth has been stated multiple times... I myself stated it earlier in this thread... We talk about two production lines from same company that intended to make one of them as the original high end while the other is budget model of same guitar.. Gibson on purpose made Gibson guitars better than Epiphone guitars.. you may not justify the price difference, you may not even feel the difference... but fact is fact

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If the price is right and the quality is there, I will buy from anywhere.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I have often bought and promoted Chinese made guitar gear. No more.

The question shouldn’t be ‘why buy a Gibson’. I ask why buy from an obedient society who approve of millions of people in concentration camps, when you can buy a guitar from anywhere else?
I could also say, why buy ...

Nahhh, I won't go there.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I buy both. I can admit that I'm just a sheep to whatever great releases these guys have been coming out with. The new gen Gibsons... awesome. The new gen Epis... nice. New Bonamassa Epi 58 Custom replica... sick. If you think buying Gibson USA is the way to avoid supporting China, you are a sheep to marketing that made you forget that Gibson and Epiphone are the same company. Marketing geniuses.

bungle

Reaction score
One thing that I will never buy from Epi again is their low end acoustics. I got my school to purchase a class set of them. Inside a month, all had necks starting to twist. All had to be returned!! We spent a fraction more for Yamaha F310 guitars and they are still in use, near ten years later.
Yamaha makes great instruments without a doubt. Got an old red label dread, a newer cheap dread, semi hollow electric, bass & drum kit:band: All great gear.

BDW60

Reaction score
I buy both. I can admit that I'm just a sheep to whatever great releases these guys have been coming out with. The new gen Gibsons... awesome. The new gen Epis... nice. New Bonamassa Epi 58 Custom replica... sick. If you think buying Gibson USA is the way to avoid supporting China, you are a sheep to marketing that made you forget that Gibson and Epiphone are the same company. Marketing geniuses.
I fully realize Gibson and Epi are the same company. I choose not to buy the ones they make in China. I choose to buy the guitars they make in the USA. It’s not complicated. There will be plenty of people, like you, who don’t care and don’t make a distinction. That’s cool with me. Everybody’s gotta do what they think is right.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I get your point and I agree with your response, but, I need to correct the impression that I don’t make a distinction between the two brands. I fully recognize American made quality as the superior product. I own Gibson because I know it is worth it when I play it, hold it, and look at it. I bought my first Epi in the 90s because I couldn’t afford a Gibson. I do think Epiphone is good but I know it’s not a Gibson. Hope everyone is enjoying some guitars this weekend no matter which kind you like!

BDW60

Reaction score
I get your point and I agree with your response, but, I need to correct the impression that I don’t make a distinction between the two brands. I fully recognize American made quality as the superior product. I own Gibson because I know it is worth it when I play it, hold it, and look at it. I bought my first Epi in the 90s because I couldn’t afford a Gibson. I do think Epiphone is good but I know it’s not a Gibson. Hope everyone is enjoying some guitars this weekend no matter which kind you like!
Didn’t mean to imply you don’t understand the quality distinction ... I was talking about ownership. I can see how it can be viewed as “if Epi does well, that helps Gibson do well, and Gibson is an American company so ...” I do get it. I’m just tired of lapping up everything the Chicoms put out. It’s pretty easy to make a moral/ethical argument for withholding discretionary funds whenever possible from a regime like that. OTOH, I also understand that it’s a global economy and a bottom line decision for many. Epiphone is putting out a helluva lot of guitar for the money.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i have 2 gibbys,a 2017 tribute GT and 2015 junior.just bought a 2020 epi special,and i must admit its a lot of guitar for the $$$.i suspect the store i bought it from gave it a good setup,it plays too well to have come down the assembly line like that.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Or that cheap finish that rubs off after a few months. And smelly in addition ... eww !

redcoats1976

Reaction score
meh.it plays good,no finish flaws and i dont have to worry about the nitro finish checking or coming off if i get a little mosquito repellent on it when i play.i had been eying this guitar for a couple of months but was afraid to try it because i thought id like it enough to buy it.i admit i would like it to have a better wraptail like my gibby junior but it intonates well and i cant see the chrome finish on the wraptail when im playing it.the death scrawl and back of headstock hologram on my 2015 junior bugged me a little too but not enough to stop me from buying it for 20 bucks less than i paid for the epi,so id say they are pretty even.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
What about this?

If you buy a Gibson or Epiphone you’re still supporting China, since it’s the same company? Unless you have access to their finances to show otherwise.

I don’t think buying guitars equates to any great sort of global activism. If you want to support local business buying a luthier guitar might be a better idea than supporting a company that does business in China.

Talking about regimes and govts seems a bit high and mighty though- it’s not really going to make much of a difference is it what guitar anyone buys?

Pretty much everything is made in China, from technology to chickens!

:shock:

A better question might be why is China doing a better job at making stuff from a purely capitalist perspective? (If they are)

But maybe that’s outside the scope of this forum and I’d rather not get into to it if it would cross lines of what’s acceptable here !

redcoats1976

Reaction score
true enough,as individuals we will not influence world events.and just because something is made in USA,the individual parts or materials may be sourced elsewhere.imagine all those CS shop owners supporting brazil buying brazillian mahogany...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I know that I had a nice Ibanez guitar, and I kept it in great shape over the years. For a while when life got busy, it just sat in it's case for a few years. Anyway, I pulled it back out and it was just not the same guitar. Very hard to play and keep in tune after several attempts from different luthiers. It was like the guitar neck was a bit warped or something, and I did keep it in the case that it came with.

How many years is a... lets say $800 guitar good for. I mean a Gibson Les Paul is good for 50 years or more, so is an Epiphone Les Paul good for 50 years or more if taken care of well?

Latest Threads