why buy a Gibson?

Alansd

Reaction score
I don't see spemding up fo the big G when Epis are so fine now.I played in a band with a guy who owned a real pricey G like 6 grand worth, it didn't sound so great, my 62 Epi les tribute blew it away.Of course its the hands of the player anyway lol.
ythat newish Epi with the ebony neck looks loks a gibby I had in the 70's,Great but I preferred rosewood anyhow,

Brek

Reaction score
If you buy a Gibson at the right price you will not lose money come time you have to sell. (this rarely applies to new bought ones though). You get to enjoy it while you are it’s custodian. I have one keeper and two which will be sold if the right offer comes along.

Deftone

Reaction score
Investment. Gibson's increase in value. What sense does it make to buy something that will lose value?

Not to say Epi's can't increase in value as well.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
There isn't a single reason to buy a Gibson over an Epiphone if you can't see the difference.

For me, as a Gibson USA guy, I draw the line at Historic models, because I myself, cannot see it.

If I was a Historic guy, I might say I couldn't see the difference between mine and a Historic Makeovers job.

If I was a Historic Makeovers job person, I might say I couldn't justify a scratch build.

Now the flip side MIGHT be, each tier couldn't see why someone would want the lower tier, LOL

judson

Reaction score
cuz i can

whats the big deal?

forgot to mention, i bought a mid 70's acoustic Epi brand new....loved it, have no clue where it went,

then JB in 2016 came out with Treasure firebirds...so i bought one of those...cuz i wanted one

im in the market maybe for one of these...and i got a bunch of Gibsons but i buy what i want, there are fender strats around as well..and other brands

im gonna hunt of one these down......just buy what you want :dunno:

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
It is false to say that you always lose money reselling an Epiphone. I never did. Just like a Gibson, you have to buy at the right price.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Why is it, that SOME people who buy Epiphone’s , feel they need to justify their purchase with a post like this? Why even compare the two? They’re two totally different guitars in all but shape. Enjoy your Epiphone for what it is OP. A guitar you like. No need to compare them with some lame story . Here’s your POB anyway..

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone who has for the last 40 years and currently owns Kramer, Fender, G&L, Epiphone, D'Angelico, Harley Benton, Gibson, and Partscasters.....
There's a reason three Gibsons have been added to the collection in the last 2 years, and my last Epiphone purchase was 2014.

Latest Threads