Why buy a '59 replica?

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
:hmm:

How do you measure the quality of a nitro finish?

Pre-cat vs post cat.
Some nitro is more pure than others.
Pure nitro (post-cat) tends to check and craze easily...pre-cat tends not to as it is mixed with additives to prevent it from drying and hardening while sitting on a shelf or after opening.

Semitone

Reaction score
I think the Gibson brand helps to maintain resale value. It also has a large following so not only do you maintain price but you also have a large audience looking for used historics.

If you buy a boutique LP recreation you will more than likely take a bigger hit on resale, however, if you are planning on keeping you may get a better guitar IMHO. There are some guys who defy this rule of thumb but I think that is somewhat a fad and the secondary market for these guys come and go depending on transient popularity.

If you buy used, then the previous first owner has taken the hit and it may matter less. In this case, a used replica may be a great value considering both quality and resale.

Personally, I am not anal about replicas or historics. I would rather just have a great playing and great sounding guitar rather than worry about whether I have the best fake vintage instrument. YMMV

upl8tr

Reaction score
Pre-cat vs post cat.
Some nitro is more pure than others.
Pure nitro (post-cat) tends to check and craze easily...pre-cat tends not to as it is mixed with additives to prevent it from drying and hardening while sitting on a shelf or after opening.

I see. So which would be classed as better quality?

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Well what is a better quality gold; the more pure 24k or less pure 14k? ;)
Both are softer when more pure as well, funny that.

Pukiman

Reaction score
Easy...a good replica sounds, looks and feels like an original for a fraction of the cost

Really!..You could feel/hear the difference in a Blind Fold Test given guitars use same pots,caps and pickups..well in that case im going buy me a replica from Aliexpress,Alibaba,trdetangs or others..money in pocket and chips for free or something like that! :doh:

billy

Reaction score
I think the Gibson brand helps to maintain resale value. It also has a large following so not only do you maintain price but you also have a large audience looking for used historics.

If you buy a boutique LP recreation you will more than likely take a bigger hit on resale, however, if you are planning on keeping you may get a better guitar IMHO. There are some guys who defy this rule of thumb but I think that is somewhat a fad and the secondary market for these guys come and go depending on transient popularity.

If you buy used, then the previous first owner has taken the hit and it may matter less. In this case, a used replica may be a great value considering both quality and resale.

Personally, I am not anal about replicas or historics. I would rather just have a great playing and great sounding guitar rather than worry about whether I have the best fake vintage instrument. YMMV

Not Necessarily, Replicas from the right builders can go for double if not more the original price. Your never going to get more than you paid for a run of the mill historic.. there's so many in supply. Then when you factor in you can buy a historic any day of the week where as with replicas there's usually a waiting list that's at least a couple of years long. Its down to simple supply and demand. If your looking for a used replica, its finding the right one and even then they don't come up for sale very often which says something in its own right.

jc2000

Reaction score
I dont want a replica, nor an R9, I want a burst!

sadly I cant afford one, and I cant afford a conversion, thus a replica would be the 'most-affordable-highest-up-the-food-chain" guitar for my needs
Ditto!!!!although I cant afford a replica either...:(

John Bauers

Reaction score
I have been lucky over the years, I have played a 1960 Les Paul and once I got past the awe I found it was okay but did not set my world on fire, I have also played a 57 gold top which is remarkable, shame I don't own it.

I read Gil Yarons 59 build thread and realised that it was something I would be able to do. I sourced materials from all over the internet and off and on built my own tribute to the 59 Burst. I really enjoyed the the process and now have a guitar that is very personal, great to look at, I enjoy playing (I'm still getting used to her). I liked the fact that I was able to chose the top myself and hunt for pickups that I liked. I'm sure it's not as good as a top luthier made guitar but it only cost a few hundred pounds and I can gig with it because it is not worth more than my house. I did put a G logo on the open book headstock which seems to annoy many on this forum but I see it that I made a replica of a guitar the G don't make anymore, I documented the build on this forum under my own name, it is not my design so I won't put my name on it. It would never fool anyone that it is a real 59. If you lift out a pickup you will find my mane and the year it was built. There is no intent to deceive.

I may, in due course, build another single cut in the Les Paul style but tweak the design to my own taste and then I will of course put my own name on my own design of headstock.

JBBurstbuild008_zpsf957e207.jpg

So the reason I built a replica is because I could and I love it. :D :D

Olds442

Reaction score
Well what is a better quality gold; the more pure 24k or less pure 14k? ;)
Both are softer when more pure as well, funny that.

doesn't the finish come down to the amount of plasticizers in it? or is that just hogwash? :dunno:

billy

Reaction score
I did put a G logo on the open book headstock which seems to annoy many on this forum but I see it that I made a replica of a guitar the G don't make anymore, I documented the build on this forum under my own name, it is not my design so I won't put my name on it.

Exactly!! That's what I don't get about the people who get all high and mighty constantly saying having "Gibson" on a replica is wrong, well having the builders name is worse IMO!

:D

alexanderja

Reaction score
Exactly!! That's what I don't get about the people who get all high and mighty constantly saying having "Gibson" on a replica is wrong, well having the builders name is worse IMO!

Hey Billy, how are you getting on with your guitar ?....was it one of the 54's you had or a burst ?

John Bauers

Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, I've no objection to people putting what ever they want on their headstocks, it's not for me to tell anyone how to live their life but I'm happy to explain how I made the choices I have and I understand the moral debate about fakes.

When I built mine I chose the route I did, not to fool anyone or make money but to have a replica of a guitar I've always wanted. If anyone asks, and most people don't, I am proud to tell them 'I made it myself'.

homenote

ROCKSTAR INC (T.M)
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why buy a brand new fake burst (R9) when you can buy a Brand New Burst? (Very Good Replica) :thumb:

alexanderja

Reaction score
Why buy a brand new fake burst (R9) when you can buy a Brand New Burst? (Very Good Replica) :thumb:
This was the whole thing for me, id owned lots of R9's and upgraded every part trying to get it closer to the guitars i love .... then i went down the Makeover route as my obsession for detail increased,.....then finally i accepted the fact that you just can't turn a Reissue into anything other than a very good modded Reissue.
Someone else hit the nail right on the head on this forum....i think it was on this thread.....when they said along the lines that Reissues are for those with a real interest in bursts,... replicas are for those with a 'near insane' obsession with bursts (who don't have £100K plus to squeeze past the wife).

I got my first replica, the moment that nothing else would do.

billy

Reaction score
Hey Billy, how are you getting on with your guitar ?....was it one of the 54's you had or a burst ?

It's a '54. I can't say enough good things about it.. best guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. :)

RAG7890

Reaction score
This was the whole thing for me, id owned lots of R9's and upgraded every part trying to get it closer to the guitars i love .... then i went down the Makeover route as my obsession for detail increased,.....then finally i accepted the fact that you just can't turn a Reissue into anything other than a very good modded Reissue.
Someone else hit the nail right on the head on this forum....i think it was on this thread.....when they said along the lines that Reissues are for those with a real interest in bursts,... replicas are for those with a 'near insane' obsession with bursts (who don't have £100K plus to squeeze past the wife).

I got my first replica, the moment that nothing else would do.

+ 1, pretty much agree with all of this Jake. :thumb: :applause:

Hope all is well mate. :)

Cheers, Rudi

Latest Threads