why arent tailpieces slammed anymore

MSB

Reaction score
does someone really have a TP that has scratches from top wrapping?

I've been doing it on some (now all) for 10 -12 years and have never noticed any scratches during string changes or part swaps.

Last edited:

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
does someone really had a TP that has scratches from top wrapping?
This is the original tailpiece from a mid-90’s LP Classic that I used to own. I top-wrapped one time way back when and hated it, but kept it that way until the next string change just for the sake of not wasting a set of strings. You can see where the strings ran across the top, and over all these years I’ve never been able to polish those marks out. You can also see where the strings gouged into the metal along the edge. I have no idea who made this TP, but as I said it was the original (I bought that LP brand new) and it says “made in Germany” on the bottom, so I assume it’s a Schaller; in other words, I marred a good quality part by top-wrapping once many years ago.

A3D21FE7-21F0-4E22-B7AF-38FEA77B1257.jpeg

70539A24-EB12-48B8-9AF8-1E97DA4F7F70.jpeg

MSB

Reaction score
This is the original tailpiece from a mid-90’s LP Classic that I used to own. I top-wrapped one time way back when and hated it, but kept it that way until the next string change just for the sake of not wasting a set of strings. You can see where the strings ran across the top, and over all these years I’ve never been able to polish those marks out. You can also see where the strings gouged into the metal along the edge. I have no idea who made this TP, but as I said it was the original (I bought that LP brand new) and it says “made in Germany” on the bottom, so I assume it’s a Schaller; in other words, I marred a good quality part by top-wrapping once many years ago.

View attachment 421753
View attachment 421754
well, sure enough, and looks incredibly noticeable. I've seen people comment on the subject, but since I've started top wrapping, I've never noticed it on a single tailpiece after the fact. I've had factory ones from the '80s-'15, chrome, nickel, zamak, AL, aftermarket ones, ones I didn't know what they were, etc. Based on the people that claimed it, I knew to some degree it had to have happened, I just found it odd I had never experienced it.

I do think it kinda odd that happened as a result of just one string change's worth of time though. Wipe the fingerprints off my '87's and you'd never know its been top wrapped for 10 years.

guess i just need to buy more guitars to continue the research.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
well, sure enough, and looks incredibly noticeable. I've seen people comment on the subject, but since I've started top wrapping, I've never noticed it on a single tailpiece after the fact. I've had factory ones from the '80s-'15, chrome, nickel, zamak, AL, aftermarket ones, ones I didn't know what they were, etc. Based on the people that claimed it, I knew to some degree it had to have happened, I just found it odd I had never experienced it.

I do think it kinda odd that happened as a result of just one string change's worth of time though. Wipe the fingerprints off my '87's and you'd never know its been top wrapped for 10 years.

I have wondered if my body chemistry perhaps doesn't work well with nickel-plated hardware. I have chrome on most of my guitars, and of course those stay nice and shiny. I swear, that nickel hardware from my old LP Classic in those pics tarnished like that after maybe 6 months of use, and I could never get them to shine again.

The grooves in the TP from the strings is a different matter. I, too, was surprised that it happened from just a single set of strings (regular ol’ Ernie Ball 10’s, by the way).

nauc

Reaction score
nah, imma leave it stock. plays great. was just curious

scozz

Reaction score
Raise the tailpiece. You don’t have to top wrap and scratch up your tailpiece.
Unless you’re trying to copy a particular artist, I understand.
I’ve been doing it for over 20 years, long before I saw any artist do it, I’m not copying anyone! I just prefer it.

Besides the advantages mentioned earlier, I like to have my tailpiece decked,...it’s more comfortable. I like to rest my palm there and it it higher than decked it feels uncomfortable to me.

scozz

Reaction score

It’s never happened to me either, and @Rob the Photog s’ Is the first I’ve ever seen!

Reactions: MSB

tjdjr1

Reaction score
My 19 Classic arrived Slammed. I do not like the strings hitting the back of the bridge I bring the TP up til the strings clear the back of the bridge. I am sure it has to lessen the drag on the string when stretching strings hense helping with staying in tune.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
It’s never happened to me either, and @Rob the Photog s’ Is the first I’ve ever seen!
Ha, I guess I’m just special! :laugh2: From what I’ve seen in other people’s posts, I do seem to be in the minority.

I used to believe that decking the TP was the “right” thing to do for “maximum tone and sustain,” but when I experimented with decking vs not and top-wrapping vs regular, I didn’t notice much of a difference in tone, sustain, or playability. I also found that regular (not top-wrapping) felt more comfortable for me. I now believe that, as much as each player has varying preferences for action, string gauge, etc., each guitar has it’s own sweet spots for any number of adjustments including tailpiece height. Just my 2 cents, take it for what you will :)

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve experienced varying results from decking. Some guitars take it better than others. A lot depends on the neck angle, in my opinion. Sometimes it can stiffen the feel a bit. Sometimes it seemingly has no affect. Sometimes it can cause a sitar sound due to the extreme break angle. All of that being said, I adjust mine according to what the guitar dictates.

Pappy58

Reaction score
The original TOM design had an adjustable tailpiece for a reason; To adjust string tension! The Touching the back of the bridge hysteria is just that. Decking the tailpiece and then top wrapping to reduce tension achieves nothing more than marking up your tailpiece. Some think it makes them appear cool... :dunno:

moreles

Reaction score
Well, supposedly the original design called for top-wrapping, so we're experiencing an issue that results from doing other than what was intended. Honestly, I don't think this was considered much at all in the original design, which is why the parts are made as adjustable as they are. Ditto for the string contact at the rear of the bridge. Unless the contact is slight and buzzes, it's a non=issue for most users. After all, 90% of owners don't know how to adjust pickup height, can't tell if their nut is off, don't intonate successfully or at all, etc., etc. I'll bet the originals, back in the day, came decked simply so the parts wouldn't feel lose, and maybe got raised and otherwise adjusted by the user, if at all.

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
THIS. Most neck angles today are ridiculous. If you have P90s it's even more obvious and they sit way out of the body. Looks dumb and feels awkward.

On a classic burst this isn't an issue because of the neck angle and the narrow bridge.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I top wrap my two Les Pauls and my SG. I've not seen any marks on my 2018 goldtop tribute with a nickle plated aluminum TP, but the other LP and my SG tail pieces do have marks from the strings. I'm not concerned.

I top wrap because it's comfortable for me the way I play. I haven't detected any other benefit in tone or sustain. It MIGHT feel a little slinkier though, not sure. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
to some this is the new skinny jeans
View attachment 421601
That's what the tailpiece on my Epi LP looks like. It's literally only holding on by the last 4-5 threads.

Tried top-wrapping it, and lowering the action, but even then the strings don't come anywhere to clearing the bridge.

Latest Threads