Why aren't more reissues "orange" colored?

larsjen

Reaction score
If we keep this thread going will orange become the new lemon?

So What

Reaction score
Apparently people prefer Lemonade to Tomato Soup.

I personally prefer Bourbon or Iced Tea.

Or, something in Gold.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If they were to reprint BOTB with correct colors, they would probably resell the book to at least half the people who have already purchased a copy.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
lets barrage the author with email requests then....:):)

dave999z

Reaction score
There were some orangish colors among the runs of 25 per color they did for the 50th anniversary R9s a few years back. (Think It was around 2009. :D)

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are in business to make $$$$ ., Not perfect Replicas of Original LP's , or any other Gibson from the Golden era .
That's (imo) self defeating and proven out by their business model .:wow:

Never quite right ....:lol:

Funny, I had a conversation with Kim at HM about this very concept, particularly as it pertains to neck profile. Seems like Gibson shapes the necks on its reissues based on customer expectations rather than on historical accuracy. A modern player buying an R8 expects a massive neck profile, but experts will tell you that even though the necks on the real Bursts varied greatly, very few were that thick.

I guess the same mindset probably comes into play when it comes to color. Like jamman said, Gibson is in the business of selling guitars, not achieving museum-worthy historical accuracy.

Sct13

Reaction score
exactly....

But I found the neck shape and size I am very comfortable with for the different styles of playing that I am doing. So for me there is a love for the fatter necks, (I use those for open chording or open tunings)

Fast rock solo's get the medium small necks...Everyone is different.

As far as the colors.....dont get me RE started...

And I doubt very much there will be another book...I was just being silly....

acace

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Danelectro's comparison shots are a great example of how inaccurate BOTB is. I've played and have seen many original bursts in my forty years in the hobby. Bottom line is the image on the right is far more accurate than the photo in BOTB. In the images above, you can clearly see a flaw at the bottom edge of the guitar that shows only magenta ink. The color of the plastics is way off as well, so there are other issues. The author had all the guitars photographed on several different grey sweeps. However, the color of the same sweep varies wildly throughout the book. For example, in my copy, the background of P96 and P98 are a completely different color, yet its the same sweep. As mentioned in my earlier post, this is either a printing issue or, less likely, an issue with the color separations. I'm fairly certain the original images were all shot with a large format camera, so the transparencies *should* all be consistent. Maybe time to start a crowd fund campaign to purchase the original images from Iwanade, the publishing rights from Hal Leonard and self-publish the book as a community. I'll even offer my design studio's services, free of charge, to manage the project.

Sct13

Reaction score
NOW your talking....

but purchasing the negatives? they may still belong to the photographer....usually the photographer keeps the original negatives, unless a deal was worked out....Did the author shoot those? I have the book I haven't looked at the photo credits...

This kind of action would also risk his credit as many (Gibson) took this work seriously to sell instruments. Dealers ordered special runs (page 93 burst) and so on...

Just a thought...

but then again, I have never even set eyes on a single one of them ....

acace

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
NOW your talking....

but purchasing the negatives? they may still belong to the photographer....usually the photographer keeps the original negatives, unless a deal was worked out....Did the author shoot those? I have the book I haven't looked at the photo credits...

This kind of action would also risk his credit as many (Gibson) took this work seriously to sell instruments. Dealers ordered special runs (page 93 burst) and so on...

Just a thought...

but then again, I have never even set eyes on a single one of them ....

I seriously doubt Gibson used BOTB as anything more than a general guide for wood grain, hardware and finish. If they used the book as a template, all the guitars would be orange and all the plastics yellow. I haven't seen one special run guitar that looks exactly like the image - its marketing, nothing more. There are several photographers credited in the book, and I would assume the photography was "work for hire" and that the author owns the image rights, but who knows. Buying repro rights is a long shot, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Sct13

Reaction score
Wow six different photographers....explains a few of the inconsistencies...but its obvious that they worked out a system, because there is a level of consistency that is maintained throughout....actually not a bad job...

DonP

Reaction score
(L) BOTB taken in 1996, (R) Photo taken in 2014

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person photographically challenged.

When I take a photo, the picture looks like that on the left, but in real life, it's more of a dusty lemon like on the right.

I look at BOTB almost daily, and was also wondering why historics didn't look the same as in those pictures. Now I know LOL!

Latest Threads