Why aren't more reissues "orange" colored?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reds reflect more of the Hydrogen side of the spectrum and Gibson's especially lie to your camera. You need to de saturate the red channel and use your eyes to match.

The digital sensors are so sensitive to the red side of the spectrum that the camera makers even place green filters in front of some to help balance the output photo with the white balance.....but something about the Gibson reds just penetrates and tricks the cameras. I have never seen this phenomenon before with any other subject. Except maybe bright orange poppies

I think that whoever shot BOTB was a pro but I don't think he was aware of the Trickster paint of Gibson....so now the referenced guitars are all too orange....they should be more browner and tea colored by a few shades.

FUS44

Reaction score
This is Stanley Burst, sunrise teaburst (I believe) before it was Sunrise Teaburst.

Sometimes it photos as clowny orange, but in person it is very brown and amber, 11 yrs after birth.
CR8 04.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's an old photo of some guitars I used to own, plus one that I still have (the one on the far right). These are all Stanley Burst in color, or close approximations to that color...which was done by Gibson to try and replicate the burst once owned by Paul Stanley, and pictured on the cover of BOTB. In fact, the guitar in front is an '03 Stanley Burst from the very limited BOTB run done back then (the certificate of which is shown below).

Stanley_Burst_Group_Photos_013_Cropped_2.jpg

BOTB_Certificate_1200.jpg

Frank

Curlymaple

Reaction score
I never bother to look at the book cause I didn't have one,lol!
But I kind of like that "sunkist burst".

I have been wanting to have a lemon or dirty lemon but I just can't swing it and no way in hell I would get the latest 2015 crap they were putting out, yeah, there's lots of thread about that, just MHO.

Down to the finest guitar right, Frank?! Always love your pics and the collection.

Very nice looking guitars guys!!

Here's her latest iPhone pics (my JP looks is over for now). She has faded quite a bit since her last MO four years ago, a 2007 and quite possibly the last guitar built that year:

C88EEFF5-4BCA-447C-97E8-6BDFB91E9BE5_zpskrxclilk.jpg

jamman

Reaction score
Well I'm 1 that's glad they don't make more looking Orange like .... This way we have many to choose from . To many Orange LP's and we'd IMO , see them the same as some see Lemon Bursts now ..... Dull and uninspiring
Not to say all the guitars posted here aren't nice looking But ,,,I'm for a variety of finish colors for my LP's and guitars in general .

trapland

Reaction score
Well I'm 1 that's glad they don't make more looking Orange like .... This way we have many to choose from . To many Orange LP's and we'd IMO , see them the same as some see Lemon Bursts now ..... Dull and uninspiring
Not to say all the guitars posted here aren't nice looking But ,,,I'm for a variety of finish colors for my LP's and guitars in general .

Nope, you're wrong. Make 'em all orange...............:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Sunrise Tea Burst is on the right side of Orange to me. Anymore Orange and it runs the risk of turning into a clown.

Reaction score
I'd like to see BOTB redone using high def camera photography. The chances of getting those guitars back to film is slim to impossible, but it would be sweet.

The pics in the book are very poor quality by todays standards.

Sct13

Reaction score
I agree 100%

Thier fades would be different as well....

We should email the author...see what he thinks.

its an internet world out there...

I'll shoot it for free! :thumb:

acace

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I've seen several versions of BOTB and have never considered this book a good reference for the actual guitar colors. I am a graphic designer by profession, and specifically design for print. IMO, the original images were probably fine, but the book was not printed well. Typically, printed color images are created by four separate colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black). The printer can adjust the amount of ink deposited on the paper so they can match approved proofs which should match the photography, etc. I think the printer was a little overweight on magenta which would cause the images to appear orange and the art director dropped the ball on the press check!
Incidentally - "high definition" images will make no difference in print. There are no "pixels", so the resolution of the printed image is finite.

Sct13

Reaction score
That actually sounds like a reasonable scenario.

only way to confirn this is to see the original negatives/prints.

then the book does need to be redone if it is to be considered the Bible Bursts.

it wont happen....there is too much material already.

jamman

Reaction score
Even if BOTB was,,, Redone and corrected the color balance . who thinks that would make a difference as to what Gibson tells us is Historically Accurate ,and change what they produce in different runs ? They make what sells .....Bottom line

And Imo , that's understandable , They are in business to make $$$$ ., Not perfect Replicas of Original LP's , or any other Gibson from the Golden era .
That's (imo) self defeating and proven out by their business model .:wow:

Never quite right ....:lol:

Still, You like it ? Buy it and enjoy it .We are having some of the best times of Gibson guitar making ,in most areas of builds NOW. Repeatable, Good quality(for the most part) ,well made CS guitars .

Latest Threads