Why aren't more reissues "orange" colored?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My wife made an interesting observation while flipping through BOTB on our coffee table:

"I thought you said the goal was to make the new ones look like these old ones? All the ones you've shown me have been red and yellow, or just yellow. Almost every one in this book is orange."

I've seen a few reissues, not many at all, that do match the colors of the ones in the book - mostly the Sunrise Tea Burst ones. But for the most part, she's right. Why don't they make more reissues in the same orange color that most of the original Bursts have apparently faded to? Or does the lighting in these pics just make these look orange?

7gtop

Reaction score
the BOTB p!cs aren't that accurate, hues and the such.

and especially by now.... they look d!fferent in reality....mmmmk :thumb:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks 7gtop, I figured as much. Even the ones described as Lemon Drop all look like Sunkist soda.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '94 PRS Custom 24 is listed as "vintage sunburst". :thumb:

DSCN1730.jpg

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's also funny is that there have been several finishes formulated to look like those pics in BOTB, which were "off" as mentioned earlier. :laugh2:

My R5's orange-ish finish is called "Coverburst" after the Stanley Burst that graces the cover.

DSC_0002.jpg

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^ That is gorgeous. I came very close to buying an '09 Murphy-aged "Coverburst" on FeeBay a little while back. It had that same vibrant orange finish.

Someone recently sold an R8 on here that was also a beautiful orange color, he called it "Page 88 Burst" I think. So yeah, apparently people really like those colors, even if they are "off."

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOTB is the readers reference for burst lovers,
good info in there.

but the oranges are defiantly too orange, and as a result....too many orange guitars exist now.... :cool:

however, orange guitars are very pretty....

Here is my old 2003, that I should NOT have sold....its was an amazing guitar.

IMG_7041.jpg

flameburst

Reaction score
This Yamano R9 has the earliest known variant of what the Japanese called 'Sunrise Tea Burst'. Quite orange. Not sure in any way that it's accurate to ANYTHING out there, but I really like the colour.

Other books, like Burst Gang, Tone Man etc, do show some originals as having quite a distinct orange hue. Maybe there's a connection there with Japanese printing, since BOTB was a Japanese produced book too.

Maybe some originals did go this sort of shade of colour. So many climatic factors involved, plus whatever the colour of the raw maple (some whiter than others, some more silvery, some more naturally yellow).

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should CC the Kriegerburst

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a big fan of the Iced Tea's

trapland

Reaction score
I still think my photo is the "orangey-est". :) I never knew there was an official burst color named orange.

The OPs wife is right tho. Many publications show the real bursts as very orange. And quite a few probably are too, so its a good point that there should be more orange reissues.

I bet if Historics were painted ONLY in colors at ratio numbers to match real 50s bursts, orangey would be very common, lemon very rare and clown cherryburst far more common. I'm glad they paint them in the colors/quantities we like best instead.

20150602_134846_zpswimvo8gt.jpg

trapland

Reaction score
Curlymaple, that may be the most perfect book match ever. It looks like a one piece top. Amazing (and orange!).

:applause:

BTW, what year did they stop using the Philips screw in the pickguard? My 08 has it above in the group shot.

Quill

Reaction score
Here is my old 2003 ...

IMG_7041.jpg

Beautiful guitar from a very good year - sorry it moved on, but change is good, too. The colour of that guitar looks similar to what my '02 really looks like - I cannot get an accurate picture of mine - which can look either orange or red, if the light is right. This sort of shows it ... kind of ...

I like most of the colours they use and love the darkbursts and oxbloods, but Gibson really especially gets red - I don't know if anyone paints nicer reds than they do. And some of their reds definitely have a soft orange tone in there somewhere.

Adambomb

Reaction score
My wife made an interesting observation while flipping through BOTB on our coffee table:

"I thought you said the goal was to make the new ones look like these old ones? All the ones you've shown me have been red and yellow, or just yellow. Almost every one in this book is orange."

I've seen a few reissues, not many at all, that do match the colors of the ones in the book - mostly the Sunrise Tea Burst ones. But for the most part, she's right. Why don't they make more reissues in the same orange color that most of the original Bursts have apparently faded to? Or does the lighting in these pics just make these look orange?

OP, when i first got my guitar I did notice my 2014 R9 Sunrise Teaburst did look way more familiar with many other bursts color wise in BOTB book.

The outside sun pics tell a little different story, but not by much....

Latest Threads