Why are there initials in my Truss Rod cavity

dbruno

Reaction score
I love it when guys get hit with the old “do your own research routine” why is it such a problem to ask again. I see some pretty silly questions on this forum that go completely unchecked. If there are plenty of threads already on the subject, politely point it out or just move along.

The biggest surprise in this thread isn’t who PK was or how many other guitars he signed. It’s that the OP has taken 40 plus years to attempt a Truss Rod adjustment.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest surprise in this thread isn’t who PK was or how many other guitars he signed. It’s that the OP has taken 40 plus years to attempt a Truss Rod adjustment.
Actually, I think he's quite fortunate not having had to adjust the neck. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sounds like he got a good one.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
It seems to me that everyone here has been polite about this, on all sides? As a matter of record, I asked that he "please" not create more threads.... :rofl:
I do not see where the OP complained about it at all?

Why should anyone have to re-type all of that info (it is a lot, and it took a long time to compile), when it is already out there for the taking.

If it were a noob, I might understand more, if someone looks and can't find it, I might understand more......
but a veteran poster who knows this place, or just because you are too lazy to filter through the search feature.....not a chance.

Did you have something to add about the initials in the TRC that was missed or are you just "fanning flames"?

Should he have adjusted the TR if it did not need adjusting (he said it had not)?

I love it when guys get hit with the old “do your own research routine” why is it such a problem to ask again. I see some pretty silly questions on this forum that go completely unchecked. If there are plenty of threads already on the subject, politely point it out or just move along.

zdoggie

Reaction score
sounds like to me that PK was proud of his work I wish that just one of my LP had that much pride from one of the workers at GIB.cool find

zdog

kingmlg

Reaction score
This is my 1978 335. I've had it forty three years. I never had the need to adjust the TR. Three years ago I checked it for the hell of it. The TR nut was finger tight.. I snugged it a little and left it alone.
20170208_234247.jpg

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We don't need to chastise people for starting threads that are informative in nature.

If you don't like the thread, don't waste energy on it. Just move along

TM1

Reaction score
Yeah right
Don't want to see any initials in my cavity. Jus' sayin'.
It was company policy in Kalamazoo to do that back. Nothing you can do about it now. It was part of the QC system that was in place. If the final inspector didn't like the fretwork, he could go back to whom ever's initals are there and have them make the work right.
I'll have to look, but I think even this was done in the "Golden Era" by Gibson. Buy I'll have to look at my old ones from back then.

Jorbissian

Reaction score
Here’s some pics I posted in some of those old threads that HCT mentioned.

My ‘78 & ‘77 Customs respectfully.

View attachment 565750
View attachment 565751
Hi guys ! I don't have initials in my TRC but I do have something "unusual"? in the neck pup cavity, notice the "LPS" in handwriting, doesn't seem unusual, the "custom" stamp(s) is confusing though.

This is a 1992 model & has gold hardware, does this mean that the gold hardware makes it a Les Paul Studio "Custom"?
Can any of you learned people provide an answer ?

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ! I don't have initials in my TRC but I do have something "unusual"? in the neck pup cavity, notice the "LPS" in handwriting, doesn't seem unusual, the "custom" stamp(s) is confusing though.

This is a 1992 model & has gold hardware, does this mean that the gold hardware makes it a Les Paul Studio "Custom"?
I’m not familiar with this model Studio, but the Custom stamp can indicate some sort of unique feature like color or wood, like an ebony fretboard. Hard to tell without more detail pics of the whole guitar.

Jorbissian

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with this model Studio, but the Custom stamp can indicate some sort of unique feature like color or wood, like an ebony fretboard. Hard to tell without more detail pics of the whole guitar.
Thanks for your reply mudface, the only things I can add is yes, it does have an ebony fretboard, obviously it's wine red colour & the aforementioned gold hardware, I've read that this is a sought after model, it's a bit heavier than other Studios I've played too, 8.8lb. Any idea what the capital "H" means in the cavity ?
One thing is for sure though, if an LP Studio is wine red it's always more expensive to buy than other colours be it new or used.
The shop I bought it from said it came from a dealer in Japan after he sourced it originally from USA.
Thanks for your help & all the best to you.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I've been on this forum for almost a decdae. I don't recall seeing these threads.

The OP has been on here 14 years.

Why would we respond with "go search" to such a thread? It's not like you can plug "PK" into the search engine.

If this is so "common knowledge" why has no one posted any links to the threads?
These threads were made before the creation of MLP so only "real connoisseurs" know about them.
Peasants like us can just eat it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

I read LPST and Custom.

Les Paul Studio Custom.

By the way, many Studio's had the Gold hardware.
And the ebony fretboard.

Pics of the whole guitar?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
So... today I removed the truss rod cover from my '77 LP. I purchased this guitar new from an authorized dealer in 1977.

Incredibly, I've never had to adjust the truss rod in its life. But I've moved to a different climate and it was time. When I opened it up, I found the initials "PK" in there. Photo below.

Who was PK? Is that the guy who built the guitar? Is this common?

For the record... yes, that's original sawdust from 1977 under the cover. I left it there.

View attachment 565582
:)

Jorbissian

Reaction score
I read LPST and Custom.

Les Paul Studio Custom.

By the way, many Studio's had the Gold hardware.
And the ebony fretboard.

Thanks for your reply, here are some more pics, obviously I'm in the process of doing the frets & then try to cut & polish some bad scratches out of it & replace the tuners with all chrome Klusons because three of are unserviceable.
I like the gold hardware but it doesn't wear very well & I'll eventually change all the gold stuff to chrome.
wine red LPS 1.JPG
Wine Red LPS 2.JPG
Wine Red LPS 3.JPG
Wine Red LPS 4.JPG

Reaction score
So... today I removed the truss rod cover from my '77 LP. I purchased this guitar new from an authorized dealer in 1977.

Incredibly, I've never had to adjust the truss rod in its life. But I've moved to a different climate and it was time. When I opened it up, I found the initials "PK" in there. Photo below.

Who was PK? Is that the guy who built the guitar? Is this common?

For the record... yes, that's original sawdust from 1977 under the cover. I left it there.

View attachment 565582
Looks like you have found the Holy Grail of PK. LOL

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
My fault, and my apologies to all.....I should have started right here and helped a brother out.

To help narrow the way....I think these are probably the best at answering the question....good information here:

Latest Threads