Why are there initials in my Truss Rod cavity

Lester

Reaction score
So... today I removed the truss rod cover from my '77 LP. I purchased this guitar new from an authorized dealer in 1977.

Incredibly, I've never had to adjust the truss rod in its life. But I've moved to a different climate and it was time. When I opened it up, I found the initials "PK" in there. Photo below.

Who was PK? Is that the guy who built the guitar? Is this common?

For the record... yes, that's original sawdust from 1977 under the cover. I left it there.

LP Truss Rod.jpg

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I had any of the guitars I had in the 1970s!
I know have seen this addressed before, sorry but cant recall if it was here at MLP, or the other LP site. The post I’m referring to was from a Gibson Nashville worker.
Pretty cool reading and information.
Not meaning to sound like a jerk, but use the search feature here and on the other site, you will find your information.
Good luck!

Lester

Reaction score
Thanks. I will give a search a try.

Reading through. Found this "For example, the initials you see under the TRC would be the guy who filed the frets. ".

PK did a heck of a job. Wonder if he's still working I could use a level and crown.

EDIT: Looks like next time I change the strings I'll need to pull out the pickups. I've never looked under there either.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
There are multiple threads on this here....please try to read them first before making more multiple threads.

To the best of my knowledge this worker has been identified...if you will go read.

A simple search for "writing in cavities" turns up 4 pages of threads......
:slap:

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
because it is not our responsibility to do someone else' legwork?

If you have never seen one of these threads, you must be hanging out in the wrong section of this forum.

You and he both should know better....... :rofl:

Reactions: Who

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
To help narrow the way....I think these are probably the best at answering the question....good information here:

Latest Threads