Why are the nibs on LP Traditionals so invasive?

Dineley

Reaction score
Try playing the main pull off riffs of thunderstruck or spirit of the radio.... very easy to slip off when theres a lot of nib regardless of how good your technique is

I havent played spirit of radio in ages but Thunderstruck is all on the B string. Sorry to be "That guy"

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
I havent played spirit of radio in ages but Thunderstruck is all on the B string. Sorry to be "That guy"

Haha, thank you for saving me from being "that guy".

Anyway, a properly cut nut and decent technique is where the issue is generally at. I, being only mediocre at best, only have issues with the nibs on my Trad when I'm way too drunk to play anything anyway.

Honestly, at that point I'll slip off a Tele, spanish guitar or even a bass.

TheX

Mister Jim
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, a properly cut nut and decent technique is where the issue is generally at.

For you. That doesn't make it that way for anyone else.

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
For you. That doesn't make it that way for anyone else.

And I wouldn't argue that, not necessarily anyway. However, note that the word "generally" was used.

What I mean is, besides experiencing one of those at some point myself, I've both read and heard way too many times about this particular topic, which in most cases turned out to be related to either poor technique or a badly cut nut. Pictures on this very thread are an example of the latter.

This doesn't mean either of them is the ultimate reason, especially when personal taste is also involved. But, if I were to make a generalization, based on both personal experience and observation of what others have gone through, I'd stick to my conclusion that nibs are generally not a problem by themselves (again, personal taste aside), but rather either the player or the nut slots are what make them seem "invasive".

That doesn't MAKE it that way, I agree, but very often IS.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Try playing the main pull off riffs of thunderstruck or spirit of the radio.... very easy to slip off when theres a lot of nib regardless of how good your technique is

My Trad Pro hi E string ALWAYS got caught in the nib when I tried to play "Spirit of the Radio". Other than that I learned to live with it until I sold the guitar. I am not a huge fan of nibs, but they do look nice.

Comanche

Reaction score
Because Gibson fired everyone that knew how to dress them correctly and hired cheaper labor for the 2015 run.

Now they're learning how to do frets again.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I noticed the nibs on my 2014 ES339 are thinner compared to my 2014 Traditional. They do have that "square" feeling. Not a real issue for me though, just a different feeling compared to my other guitars

1allspub

Reaction score
I know you're joking but I believe that the 2016 necks are still 1/16 inch wider than 2014 specs.

The 2016 T line is the same, classic neck width as 2014s & earlier.

The 2016 HP line is a bit wider than the T line, but narrower still than the 2015s.

Fuelish

Reaction score
I have no nib problems....oh, wait...I have no guitars with nibs ;)

eeprete

Reaction score
Just found this thread in a search, as I am not a fan of the nibs. Was there any defined cut off for nib/no-nib? I've seen various years with and without. Thought maybe it was a Classic only thing, but I've seen classics both ways. It's making it tough to find one now.

alnico59

Reaction score
Out of my three LP's I definitely prefer the one that has had a re-fret without the nibs. I have already decided when the other two come up for new frets the nibs will all be gone. I like the extra fret end I have gained. Especially on the low E.

leifpaul

Reaction score
I sold my 2013 les paul traditional...the high e-string kept "going off" the fretboard,over the nibs, while soloing and even doing chords...never had that problem with my older gibsons..this was extreme..so off it went

truckermde

Reaction score
I guess some people like the look for nostalgia, but functionally, they are terrible, IMO.

Chris B.

Reaction score
Maybe I got lucky. Never actually noticed them when playing.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Kinda have to with vibrato...

Right but any guitar can be a problem when you use vibrato on the E strings unless your technique is good. I usually avoid using vibrato on the highE for that reason.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That nut does look wider. I don't understand the new serial dating scheme, is it possible that yours was built in 2015 using the older specs before they'd run of out stock? From what I've read on Gibson's site, 1 11/16" is the standard nut width again.

Well, it is on my CS models for sure. But the Studio was definitely built in 2016

leifpaul

Reaction score
Right but any guitar can be a problem when you use vibrato on the E strings unless your technique is good. I usually avoid using vibrato on the highE for that reason.

dude, that trad was the worst ever..i have good technique..none of my gibson had this problem..

Latest Threads