Why are the nibs on LP Traditionals so invasive?

TheX

Mister Jim
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My older LP's are all refretted, and I LOVE them. I get to make them perfect FOR ME.

winexprt

Reaction score
The nibs correspond to the thickness of the binding. Thicker binding = more nib real estate.

I have a '13 R8 and a '11 Trad+. The reissue has much thinner binding and less nib creep onto the fret end.

HermioneGrandeur

Reaction score
The nibs correspond to the thickness of the binding. Thicker binding = more nib real estate.

I have a '13 R8 and a '11 Trad+. The reissue has much thinner binding and less nib creep onto the fret end.

Thats the thing--- why do the $999 Midtown Standards feature the same thinner binding as the +$3k historic? are they being made in the same factory as historics?? Is it that hard for the LP Trads to be made the same way if they are twice the price of the midtowns? Pretty curious imo.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Thats the thing--- why do the $999 Midtown Standards feature the same thinner binding as the +$3k historic? are they being made in the same factory as historics?? Is it that hard for the LP Trads to be made the same way if they are twice the price of the midtowns? Pretty curious imo.

The Midtown Standards dont feature the same thinner binding as the historics. Take a closer look, the Midtown Standard doesn't have nibs at all. They are made fret over binding.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBDSDC15T

winexprt

Reaction score
The Midtown Standards dont feature the same thinner binding as the historics. Take a closer look, the Midtown Standard doesn't have nibs at all. They are made fret over binding.

Gibson Limited Edition Midtown Standard Traditional Electric Guitar (with Case), Ebony

You're right. The poor quality of the earlier pic fooled me.

3_Headstock_Left_Front_NA-84fb354bd3d6d0789d3f9c883d3a53f9.jpg

mobidevjc

Reaction score
As some pointed out that the nut isn't cut right, is there some spec, measurements or even photos one can check to verify whether a nut is correctly slotted?

rlefty

Reaction score
My 2016 Studio T is 1/16th wider the entire length of the neck and I've heard that same observation from someone else here. It might not apply to all models. It's part of the reason I'm selling it.

https://reverb.com/item/2129008-gibson-studio-t-2016-pelham-blue

That nut does look wider. I don't understand the new serial dating scheme, is it possible that yours was built in 2015 using the older specs before they'd run of out stock? From what I've read on Gibson's site, 1 11/16" is the standard nut width again.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Indirectly related, I find that Gibson spaces their nut slots with the high E closer to the edge than many people care for. That's USA and Custom, though.

winexprt

Reaction score
Indirectly related, I find that Gibson spaces their nut slots with the high E closer to the edge than many people care for. That's USA and Custom, though.

That's definitely the case with my 2011 Trad+. When I bought it new that high E being so close to the end of the fret edge took some adjusting too. I kept slipping the string off the edge. Prior to the Trad I had a 2008 Studio Faded that didn't suffer from this "feature". lol

My '13 R8 doesn't have this "feature" either. Both E strings have plenty of room from the fret edges.

guitarjoem

Reaction score
nibs, could quite happily live without 'em,
they serve no useful function as such and if done badly can certainly cause problems

Actually, they do serve a useful function. As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the nibs help to "absorb" the fret sprout as the wood of the neck and fretboard expand and contract due to changes in temperature and humidity.

In any case, it's much harder to build a bound neck with nibs than it is to build a bound neck without nibs. I've just always suspected there must be some reason for their being there.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
That way of cutting a nut (Trad) is outrageous.
I am therefore outraged and I won't stand for that.

latest-loud-noises-gif-323.gif

I'm not even kidding.

ShoalsRanger

Reaction score
That's definitely the case with my 2011 Trad+. When I bought it new that high E being so close to the end of the fret edge took some adjusting too. I kept slipping the string off the edge. Prior to the Trad I had a 2008 Studio Faded that didn't suffer from this "feature". lol

My '13 R8 doesn't have this "feature" either. Both E strings have plenty of room from the fret edges.

My '12 Trad has the same issue. I've been meaning to put a new nut on it for a long time now and just keep procrastinating. It really only bothers me when I do a G chord. The high e on my Special stays put. My old '11 Studio didn't give me a problem either.

wavemagnet

Reaction score
My theory is Gibson cut the fingerboards narrower to save on rosewood and used thicker binding to make up the difference. I ended up selling my '13 Traditional because of this problem.

sk8rat

Reaction score
bumping the thread because I have been playing on the lower strings a lot lately and while at first I disagreed with the thread I now find that the nibs are invasive. the nibs are very square so when running up and down the high e string the sharp edges of the nibs have been shredding my finger tips.

Latest Threads