Why are Custom Buckers so awesome? Why?

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, don't hear too much about different sounding BB's, at least not at this level. Btw I heard Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio make consistent sounding pickups.:)
I have guitars with Burstbuckers and they’re not as tone happy as the Custombuckers.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
I had a 2013 R8 with the worst sounding CBs I've ever heard. Tried them in different guitars with same result...brash with a very unpleasant high end....gross. I also have a 2016 R0 with the best sounding modern pups (CBs) I've heard to to date.

Woollymonster

Reaction score
Gibson got it right with the late model Custom Buckers. Best PAF tone I have ever had out of a Les Paul. Bought a 2018 R7 Gold top last year with Brazilian Board. It's a keeper.

edited-image.jpg

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have BB 2 & 3 in my Explorer, and that guitar has more pleasing tones than my '17 Tribute did with 490s. Not the same argument, just saying.

Buck Woodson

Reaction score
I bought a set of custombuckers on reverb. They didnt work in my 2018 Trad but are perfect in my 2007 G0. Based on that I think they work best for the more resonant custom shop Les Pauls. That may be the very reason why Gibson doesn't sell the pickups by themselves.

Dazza

Reaction score
I've experienced many CB sets going back to my Page #1 / Beano / Kossoff / Shanks and more recent R's. Similarly with BB and 57 Classics I feel the construction method, or parts involved, have changed over the years. The newer R's I played had a brighter, tinny treble than the older dedicated CC/Sig models. As is well realised around here each guitar has its own tonal influence on the pickups used so there are no absolutes, but both R's ended up with Wizz sets and that tinny treble is gone.

My Beano & Kossoff are fab as is. Page #1 is great, but needs audio taper pots to better dial in the pickups. Shanks has its own well documented thing, but as my main working guitar since new after a few years I felt like freshening my ears. Currently it has a Wizz set.

So I'm a CB fan yes, especially compared to prior edition 57 / BB's, but feel they're not quite on par with the likes of Wizz / OX4 / Rewind etc that have come out since. They have something more 'refined' for lack of a better word.

Daz

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I like CBs... “like”, don’t love. I have owned 4 R8s ranging from 2014-18. All their CBs sounded good, but every one of those R8s improved significantly with aftermarket PAFs.

So as for the OP’s original question (ie, why are they so awesome), I’d have to say, IMO, they’re good, not awesome.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I had a 2013 R8 with the worst sounding CBs I've ever heard. Tried them in different guitars with same result...brash with a very unpleasant high end....gross. I also have a 2016 R0 with the best sounding modern pups (CBs) I've heard to to date.

And yet my '13 R8 is sublime tonewise with them, also had them in my '13 R7(which I have since sold) and just great. Good that your '16 R0 does the trick :cool2:

Valkyrie

Reaction score
I put a set I got for a steal in a spectacular Trad. They made that guitar unreal good. But it started out great. The CBS are really nice. My 2018 R8 has them and compared to my R9 with BBs it’s no contest.

swampblues

Reaction score
I have them in my 2006 R9 yea I bought a $300 pair and in my 16 R8 no need for me to try other pups these sound just right for me

Pappy58

Reaction score
I'm happy with the two sets of CB's I have in my R9 and LPC. But I can dial in the BB1/2 in my R8 just as well. The best sounding Gibby PUP's are unpotted 57Classics, imo. I have a pair in my USA SG and they sing. Seriously considering swapping them into the R9.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
And yet my '13 R8 is sublime tonewise with them, also had them in my '13 R7(which I have since sold) and just great. Good that your '16 R0 does the trick :cool2:
Oh, yes. In no way was my post meant to imply that 13 offerings are bad, but rather that ya never know whatchya gonna get...like a box of chocolate. Some are bad; some are good and some are wonderful. There are some custom buckers out there that are excellent; dare I say just as good as some of the boutique offerings...IMHO that is.

joff

Reaction score
My 2011 Beano Custombuckers sound wonderful. :cool:

KS 5150

Reaction score
I have a great set in my '13 R9 & love them....lucky, I guess.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
He also said that there were two different sets of pickups. One set was about 7.5k neck and 7.8k bridge and the other was about 8k for the neck and bridge.
That makes sense. I have a 2012 R9 that came factory with Custom Buckers. 8.05k neck/8.08k bridge. Bright pickups, like the proverbial "Tele on steroids." Quite hot too. Nice harmonics. No mud at all in the neck. Wonder how they compare to the 7.5/7.8 set.

Latest Threads