why 5 PU wires on molex connector 2012 std

jeffy

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot. so you ordered the first two parts. I didn't think you needed to touch the part on the pc board. That is the only thing i saw as having "pins"

Yes, I bought the terminals and the connector. I just order some Ben-Wabranes last night.

HIghAndDry

Reaction score
well they sound pretty creamy on that video on there. but that could be attributed to the amp too. but nice sound!

jeffy

Reaction score
Let me know what they sound like i been thinking about that same exact set, its either that or the throbak 101+:dude:
Do you have a 2012 STD as well?

I'm also trying to learn more about 50's wiring. I see it's very popular but not sure why. It would be simple to remove the tone cap and add a new one even with the PCB. :hmm:

ThroBak

Reaction score
Well, I ordered some to see if they fit. I'm not sure how long standard shipping is but I ordered 4 sets and it was $12. I'll report back when they arrive.

Great job tracking that down! I have all the stuff now to offer this connector. I have had several customers request it. Great to have the correct solution.

jeffy

Reaction score
Great job tracking that down! I have all the stuff now to offer this connector. I have had several customers request it. Great to have the correct solution.
Thanks. Happy to be able to contribute something to the community. :)

shadow_214

Reaction score
Do you have a 2012 STD as well?

I'm also trying to learn more about 50's wiring. I see it's very popular but not sure why. It would be simple to remove the tone cap and add a new one even with the PCB. :hmm:

Yes i have a 2012 standard as well and have been thinking about changing pickups i have yet to look inside the cavity and i have never swapped pickups in a guitar either. Ive heard plenty about 50's wiring as well but would that mean you have to get rid of the PCB board entirely since it is a different wiring method? I may be wrong but i heard of a member on here somewhere talk about somebody selling a PCB board wired for 50's or modern wiring by switching a dip switch.

jeffy

Reaction score
The PCB with the DIP switches isn't for the 2012 STD. It only has 2-Con from the pickups and not 4-Con. If you don't have a lot of experience soldering then I wouldn't recommend changing the pickups as the terminals are extremely small. It wouldn't be hard to change the 2012 to 50's wiring but you have to be a little creative and wrap the leads of the caps around the pot legs, bypassing the PCB.

I have a post in the Gibson Les Paul forum with pics of my pickups installed. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/212379-2012-std-zebras.html

HIghAndDry

Reaction score
Ok I am a little confused. sorry!! so when you say the pins what exactly are you referring to. Is there a pin that each pickup wire goes onto? Or do you tin the wires and put them right into the connector?
On your photo they look perfect but on the mouser link the illustration doesn't look right. (for the 51021-0500) It looks like a lot more than 5 wires would go in there

jeffy

Reaction score
On your photo they look perfect but on the mouser link the illustration doesn't look right. (for the 51021-0500) It looks like a lot more than 5 wires would go in there
It's a generic picture. The last set of numbers in the part# is the CON number.

HIghAndDry

Reaction score
It's a generic picture. The last set of numbers in the part# is the CON number.
Ok thanks again. How are you liking the new pickups? still curious about the burn in? is the bridge pickup a lot warmer?

jeffy

Reaction score
Am I the only out-of-the-loop-dinosaur that saw the pic below and said "WTF are the guts of a Playstation controller doing in a Les Paul control cavity?!"?

:laugh2:
Playstation? :laugh2: The PCB is a turn of the century creation. Nothing new at all. With all the wiring, it's just a lot neater with the PCB.

jeffy

Reaction score
Ok thanks again. How are you liking the new pickups? still curious about the burn in? is the bridge pickup a lot warmer?
Yes, they are a lot warmer. I'm still trying to set up the pickup height but so far it's got a Crossroad vibe to it when dirty.

HIghAndDry

Reaction score
Yes, they are a lot warmer. I'm still trying to set up the pickup height but so far it's got a Crossroad vibe to it when dirty.
as in crossroads by cream? that is a good thing. great tone. my favorite clapton tones were with cream.

jeffy

Reaction score
Yes.

I've still got to tweak the height some more though.

HIghAndDry

Reaction score
all right I ordered my connectors. the first pickup I am going to try in the bridge is a dimarzio tone zone. why? because I already own it!!

jeffy

Reaction score
Get ready to be surprised by the size of the terminals.

Latest Threads