Who's who in analog solid-state amplifiers

DrBGood

Reaction score
I've had a bunch of Vox Valvetronix over the years and liked them all.
Two AD50VT
Two AD30VT
One VT40+

And then foolishly thought a Boss Katana 100 1X12 combo would beat them all. Not so. It was missing a major OOMPH factor. Even after putting an extention cab output jack to use it with my 2X12 cab, I couldn't bond with it. Still sounded thin to me. That amp is good on cleans or with heavy distortion. All in between is meh ...

So I started searching for the elusive Blue Series ADVTs and found a 60 watt. NOW we're talking !

This one and the AD120VT were the first of the Valvetronics series and I read that they were targeting professional musicians. Following versions were toned down for mass marketing.

Coupled to my 2X12 cab, that thing is a monster on all accounts. It gives me everything I would want in an amp, and more.

Here's the beauty.

VOX AD60VT.jpg

AD60VT top controls.jpg

AD60VT back controls.jpg

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Finally got around to updating the first post.
I apologise if I missed someone, please let me know and I'll add you to the list.

studio1087

Reaction score
2 Vox SS amps.

Pathfinder 15R Combo (I have three of them - one is a head made from a Pathfinder Chassis) and the Pathfinder 15R head with 4 x 8 Bulldog cab that was offered briefly at Guitar Center.

I sold the 4 x 8 cab and head when I was saving for a Firebird. I got the Firebird sooner because I sold the Vox half stack and I kick my own ass to this day for selling the half stack on eBay. Short sighted impatient foolish maneuver. It was a really rig little rig. Full as hell. They are so hard to find. Oh well.

This is the Pathfinder "head" that I made out of a chassis that I bought from a guy on another guitar forum for $75. He wanted a Pathfinder combo mini stack so he removed the chassis from a combo amp and he turned the combo amp into an extension speaker.

I play it through a Carvin G212 cab and it's a lot of fun through the bigger speakers.

If you ever see a Pathfinder 15R on Craigslist for $75 BUY IT!! Even if you already have one. 15 watts, pregain and volume, Bass & treble, tremolo and a real spring reverb. They sold new at retail (20 years ago) for $129.

While I'm on a roll I also have one these 50 watt/8 ohm micro heads - this is the Rock model. Can you see it?

DrBGood

Reaction score
While I'm on a roll I also have one these 50 watt/8 ohm micro heads - this is the Rock model. Can you see it?

I just got the Boutique MV50.

That tiny thing is a monster and loud, real loud. I don't mean loud for a small amp, I mean LOUD !

There is a real wide tonal range with the single knob and gain goes from squeaky cleans to fat roaring OD in a non linear fashion. From none to 2/3rd of the way it is nicely progressive, then the last 1/3rd just blows you away.

I think I'll have some fun with this ant amp. I only played it throught the 2X12 cb for now. I'll try the 2X10 later and then a 1X12.

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
Was my go to Gig amp, Loud and great with pedals and the chorus is to die for!!
1980's Roland Jazz Chorus 120 with one replaced speaker from a JC-60 because one speaker was torn

Gridlock

Reaction score
Now I can join, an ‘80’s Marshall Lead Combo. 30 watts and a Celestion C12M-70. Bought it for a living room practice amp. Can’t believe how good this sounds with a few pedals in front of it. Impressed.

2F9801BA-BF58-4C94-A553-576485442024.jpeg

Last edited:

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Y
JCA GR is not a ss amp... I am thinking about getting a VOX MSB25... nutube tech which is micro tubes but it sounds ss to me. I have only played it once and I thought it sounded good. The mids were a smeared and that made it difficult to dail in a solid LP w/HBs sound. I do also own a JC120 head.
You are correct and I guess I should of clarified that. In the past, I used the tube JCA with a JC40.

A couple of months ago I found and bought a JC 70. Killer amp. It has a real spring verb. I now use both the JC40 and JC 70. The JC40 handels most of my time based fx. My H9 runs stereo out into the JC 40. Those amps together sound wonderful with some fx. They get a little notchy with out one running some time based stuff.

They are very close in sound and the the waves interact and cancel some stuff out. However the JC70 sounds better. A little fuller, warmer, and the chorus is a little nicer.

I have ran the setup at a number of different band rehearsals. It has always worked well. I like to dial in my fx given the room and the H9 is not super fast in doing that so I typically have to settle. I have yet to gig with that setup. I have giged a number of times with the JC40 and it has worked. My fuzz tone can get a little too forward. I like how it sounds but if I am dealing with a mellow crowd, I feel like I am pushing my luck.

I have a gig coming up in August that I plan on running the whole setup at. I will see how that goes. I also might have another gig in August that if I brough that setup, they might kill me. I have used my JC with that venue and audience. It did not work as well as when I just ran a Fender Blues deluxe. The Fender sat better in the mix even though I ran it super clean. The time I used the JC40, the engineer put me too loud in the mix. I could of used the air if the Blues Deluxe to help sir back a little.

All and all if I can hear myself even a little bit, it is a good gig. I hate when I am completely lost. Trust me in other settings the Blues Deluxe can struggle. It is such a loud amp. If you have to run it low, it can be too clean and not have enough mids to cut.

This is all moot, because you get what you get when you show up, unless you can afford to create the environment you want.

Last edited:

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
OK, OK, got the call so here are some from my collection. They are:

Epiphone TRIGGERMAN Halfstack, modified amp, modified 4x12 Cabinet with very good Chinese Celestion G12-30 clones

Hughes & Kettner ZENAMP Combo 212, with two wonderful 70s CTS square magnet speakers, modified for wide stereo with extern speaker.

Harley Benton 80R Mosfet Lead 1x12 Combo with Celestion Seventy 80 - a wonderful Marshall-eske amp and a powerful combination. These combos are a real steal and totally underrated!

H+H Studio30 Combo, Mosfet amp, 1x10 H+H Loudmouth, smashing clean sound and LOUD

Sessionette75mk2 Combo, Mosfet amp, 1x12 with 100W Carvin speaker from my X100

CRATE GTX15 Head converted from the 1x8 Combo, a real little marvel over a 1x12 Celestion Alnico Gold

Marlboro G40R 1x12 Combo, 70s CTS square magnet

Crate_Mayatone.jpg

LANEY KD65
1x12 keyboard combo, mix amp with reverb, modified for universal practise amp, for guitar and harp, Vintage Alnico speaker plus switchable horn tweeter.

LANEY Hardcore Max 1x10 Combo, Baby Marshall on steroids

Farfisa-TR60
Combo 212 from 1960, Germanium transistor circuit, Reverb + Tremolo

AXL RT50-112 Combo Dual Channel; one American, one British voiced

...plus a few assorted other SS amps and combos, stashed away, forgot the names.

Last edited:

Custom53

Reaction score
Some of the Solid State Amps that I have and had.. Just a few of them. All my other Amps are Tubes Amps.

003.JPG

Acoustic-Ibenez.jpg

Latest Threads