Who's The LOUDEST One Of All?

Qam

Reaction score
'Ellio, Felliows. Name is Qam: pronounced like Derek and Clive.

So a Qick Qestion for used guys, is - who's the Loudest One Of All?

You know, to kill a giant you take the biggest stone you can grip.

But to grip the biggest audience, usually stoned, smaller wattage amps are off-limits and you roll with giant gear.

So I asked a kid once: "What is your biggest amp?" He says immediately: My pedalboard is huge, I got everything I need!

"OK so which cabs are more your swagger; slants, or straights?" He goes, Huh?

And yes, this is a sad state of affairs. The young-un's. The hear the word STACKS and think 9V batteries.

I want to know who still uses a 4X12 here?

A good ol' 412 cab is the perfect "desert island" choice for me, if you ask which speaker I would take: the answer is, all of them.

If you haven't guessed my age, you should by this one when I say: the only thing better than an 8X12 cabinet, is twenty of them.

So how loud are you, good Sir?

Is the 12" inch speaker a soon-to-be dinosaur?

Are you AFRAID to scratch your pretty, perfect-mint-condition $6,000 dollar Plexi out in the cold of the clubs, or do you DSPeePee it in by some modeling knobby-switchy thing?

Comments please. Who hear still plays loud..

ARandall

Reaction score
Not me.......very definitely too old.

Qam

Reaction score
What do you play; how loud do you play it?

dspelman

Reaction score
I want to know who still uses a 4X12 here?

Comments please. Who hear still plays loud..
I'm selling off my 4x12s.
But I have a 1500W power amp running some smaller, much lighter but louder speakers. It's there if I need it.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I have 1000w at my disposal. 2500 if you include all the foldback monitors.
But we generally play 95-100db, because that's what our clients want.
:)

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I think "louder" gave way when venues came along with PA systems that could fill the venue.

The musicians no longer needed to bring enough to fill the venue, they just needed to bring the gear that had the sound they wanted. Mic that gear, run it to the PA.

What's left are the smallest of venues, and the bands that fill them. In a situation like that, you'd be hard-pressed to know the difference between a full-stack and 10 full-stacks.

mdubya

Reaction score
The loudest concert I attended was a Motley Crue concert circa 198-something. The volume was coming from the PA in the arena.

Loud amps are a fart in the wind in certain settings.

My 50 watt Marshall is loud. But I have powered speakers that are 600 watts and 1000 watts, respectively. How loud do you want it?

Neil has some big amps. Not sure how loud they are though. Roughly as loud as a Tweed Deluxe, I hear (sic).

I am brave enough to try Mick Ronson's rig with a Tone Bender/Treble Booster/Wah in line, just in case the 200 watt Marshall needs the proverbial gentle push over the cliff.

Matt_21

Reaction score
The loudest concert I attended was a Motley Crue concert circa 198-something. The volume was coming from the PA in the arena.

Loud amps are a fart in the wind in certain settings.

My 50 watt Marshall is loud. But I have powered speakers that are 600 watts and 1000 watts, respectively. How loud do you want it?

Neil has some big amps. Not sure how loud they are though. Roughly as loud as a Tweed Deluxe, I hear (sic).

I am brave enough to try Mick Ronson's rig with a Tone Bender/Treble Booster/Wah in line, just in case the 200 watt Marshall needs the proverbial gentle push over the cliff.

I saw Neil on that tour.
He got really into it near the end. He punched through the front of that Fender display and must have had his amp behind it cuz he was playing with knobs and his sound was changing. Volume swells and tone changes.
Pretty cool to see.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
If you haven't guessed my age, you should by this one when I say: the only thing better than an 8X12 cabinet, is twenty of them.
16x12" FULL-stack powered by 600 tube watt

:thumb:

Crate bv600-3.jpg

Crate bv600-4.jpg

I do prefer this...
Dream-Team.JPG

Last edited: