Who's running whole-house water filters?

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
I'm setting up a filter for the well-water in my house? Any tips?

Of course I ask after I already ordered some stuff from Amazon.

I'm going to do three stages. Here's my copy/paste of Amazon pics into MSPaint.

The first one is a backwashable screen filter. Then I'll go to a 25 micron filter, then to 5 or 10 microns.

This is all due to my well having some silt stirred up from filling a pool. I'm sick of seeing the silty residue in our toilets.

The water tests as drinkable, it just ain't pretty anymore.

Last edited:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
I’m not too fussed. I have rainwater off the roof and have put in only a single 10 micron filter.

Cheers

Reactions: Who

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting one, too. So, I'll be lurking around here.

NoRythm_LP

Reaction score
Well water here is 92 grains hardness and just plain horrible. Originally went with a brine tank water softener which reduced the hardness down to 13 grains but added 7x the amount of sodium. This solution also discharged some bad ugly stuff to the tune of around 130 gallons or so every few days that was caustic to our trees so out that went and we installed a whole house RO system.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Ask Dave. He does water treatment professionally.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The water in this area is loaded with iron and of course, calcium. The entire state is basically just sand sitting atop a thick blob of limestone marl.

I've a water softener and whole house filtering, but also have an outlet that bypasses the softener/filer array. I use that outlet for things like pressure washing.

--R

Who

I'm back. Back in the New York groove.
Reaction score
Now I’m thinking of using Shark-Bite connectors for the connections. I like the idea that the pipe can be rotated after installation, and that the fittings are removable/reusable.

defcrew

Reaction score
I've got them in my rental house. Two part just like th etwo you show at the bottom. Same problem re silt. Mien was red and was oddly episodal. It didn't seem to be related to weather patterns or season. When I lived in this same house we didn't worry with it but occasional and for a day or so water would come out just filthy. More than a few loads of clothes got zapped. When the water pressure starts to feel a little low I change the filters. Seems to work pretty well. They can sometimes be a little persnickity getting screwed on tight, lined up just right. We installed a cut off right beside them rather than having to go to the well to shut off when changing. Not a bad idea Roberto has of a separate line for pressure washing, garden watering, etc., if you do a lot. When I change those things it amazes me we never used one. They look like they are full of red clay pudding.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, we also have Whole House filtering in the Utility room where the well water comes in (feed line). We also run Reverse Osmosis systems at the kitchen sink(s) upstairs and down. Our well water quality is good, but a little "hard", and we do notice cycles of additional sediment when the water table fluctuates (like spring/summer when the rains and temperature impact). We have a lake on our property, and that water contributes to the water-table peripherally as well. When the Planting season is on us, I change my filters far more frequently because even after percolation I get concerned with what chemicals and fertilizers are slipping in.

For the longest time, I took a "City" water supply and processing for granted. Having to be responsible for what we use, water-wise, has taught me more about "water is life". Best of luck with your system and installation.

dissaffected

Reaction score
We have well water so we have filtration. No biggie. Change filters 4 or 5 times per yr. We can tell when it gets full of silt as pressure starts to decline.

KTM

Reaction score
I have a whole house filter, it's the first thing in line (actually on a Tee) out of the pressure tank. The outside faucets are unfiltered. Also have water softener which is on the downstream side of the filter. The outside faucets and the cold water run to the kitchen faucet bypass the softener, I hate the taste of softened water.

Water Filter.jpg

defcrew

Reaction score
Yes, we also have Whole House filtering in the Utility room where the well water comes in (feed line). We also run Reverse Osmosis systems at the kitchen sink(s) upstairs and down. Our well water quality is good, but a little "hard", and we do notice cycles of additional sediment when the water table fluctuates (like spring/summer when the rains and temperature impact). We have a lake on our property, and that water contributes to the water-table peripherally as well. When the Planting season is on us, I change my filters far more frequently because even after percolation I get concerned with what chemicals and fertilizers are slipping in.

For the longest time, I took a "City" water supply and processing for granted. Having to be responsible for what we use, water-wise, has taught me more about "water is life". Best of luck with your system and installation.
So true. You may cry about your water bill every month but when you extrapolate costs with a well I'd wager it is much more. No such thing as free. I'm from a very water richj area, thankfully, and I have a drilled well as opposed to a dug well. Never had a prob w quantity. My folks in mid-Georgia have to be very careful with their usage or it runs dry. One thing about the well water at my house is it is cold as all get out. when the kids were young ones we'd fill up a wading pool and their lips would be blue when they got out!:laugh2:

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
Yep I got one of those cotton string filters on mine, to try to help keep sand out. Every so often our well kicks up a small amount of sand, but over time it adds up.

I think the filter is first in line, before our water softener.

defcrew

Reaction score
That's quite a contraption. When I first had my well drilled I ran the tub full blast for two solid days with no slow down but not sure it was swimming pool quantity. My attitude about houses for sale w swimming pools is, "How much do you take off for that?"

Reactions: MSB

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I’m thinking of using Shark-Bite connectors for the connections. I like the idea that the pipe can be rotated after installation, and that the fittings are removable/reusable.

I've used Shark-Bite connectors about 50 times on jobs and not one has leaked or failed. I keep waiting for it to happen, but it just doesn't. GREAT invention. Easily popped apart too with a little plastic horseshoe tool. love 'em! :)

• Wow