Whole Lotta Humbuckers??

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Looking at a couple sets of pick ups for one of my LP's ... I think my taste is changing in my old age cause the usual SD JB n 59 just isn't cutting it anymore. I recently bought a 490r 490t kit PCB toggle output jack and all the screws and plastics. I put this kit in my classic ( epiphone ) deff an upgrade from what i had in there. Also got the Slash kit with all the parts and plastics with a wired plate instead of PCB all of these kits are off of the stratOsphere site. I'm currently looking at another kit for project i got going on. They have the 61r and 61t kit everything included they also have a set of trad buckers and a set of whole lotta humbckers. Just wounder what experiances with the above pick ups you guys might of had or some guidance.. thx guys!!

Hecubus

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Slash set. I love it in an LP. It has a bit of the mid focus (like the JB) but sounds more like a classic rock pickup. The A2 magnet gives it a, for lack of a better word, buttery tone. Try an A4 or A3 magnet in the 59 neck if you want something with a bit more sparkle. I can't speak to the WLH, but I hear good things.

jbash

Reaction score
I used the Whole Lottas for a couple years , in and out of 2 different Les Pauls. I've owned he Duncan Slash set too, had them in the same les pauls and a couple of 335s, and never liked them at all in the Les Pauls.

I think the WLH is the best set Seymour has done since his initial offerings of the 70s/80s.

Now, there are two different versions, both of which are based on the set Seymour made for Jimmy Page in the 1980s (and available for a long time from the custom shop). The initial run of whole lottas was a limited edition set only for the UK. A few years later, they made it a production pickup. My understanding is from a very knowledgeable pickup winder who has examined them, the limited ed set and the production set are not the same.

Mine were the production run- The neck is the star of the show (IMO, seymour's neck pickups are way better than most of his bridge winds). Its full and fat , but clear, and sounds awesome for cleans or gained out for woman tone. The Bridge is thick, a bit loose and raw ( in a good way ) and def does some of those 80s page sounds like the Coverdale/Page album. I like it better for single notes and riffing than I do for distorted chords (I use a lot of open chords) . It also cleans up great. Both pickups have great natural harmonics. I had a love/hate affair with the bridge, not because it was bad, it just wasn't the sound I was looking for (the distorted chords thing)

This is an old demo I did through my Orange OR15 and some G12M20s- it's just a noodle of some old 70s stuff. Excuse any clams in the playing,.

https://soundcloud.com/jbash-1%2Fwhole-lotta-orange-demowav

rbraad68

Reaction score
thx man thats what i wanted to hear!! been eyeballing them for about a month now. i beleive they are just the production run you can buy now a days...

rbraad68

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the Slash set. I love it in an LP. It has a bit of the mid focus (like the JB) but sounds more like a classic rock pickup. The A2 magnet gives it a, for lack of a better word, buttery tone. Try an A4 or A3 magnet in the 59 neck if you want something with a bit more sparkle. I can't speak to the WLH, but I hear good things.

I put the gibson slash in my custom with a 50s harness they dont sound too bad at all.. i think i will try these WLHs i've always heard people talking about these and those other ones which i can't remember off hand. thx man

BDW60

Reaction score
Anybody who delivers Free, Rush and Zep in the same demo gets a thumbs up from me. Loved the tones.

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thx man thats what i wanted to hear!! been eyeballing them for about a month now. i beleive they are just the production run you can buy now a days...

@rbraad68
I've got a set of SD Nickel covered WLH that I bought several months ago that have never been opened. Arrived, and put them in a cabinet. I like HB's that measure over 8k. But now, pretty much all of my LP's have pickups with more bite in them. This one guitar that I was going to put the WLH's in, has BB Pro's. My second favorite Gibson pups.
I decided just Friday night, after playing it a while, that I want to leave that LP mellow now. This is the first time I'm telling someone about this set I'm now not going to use. Let me know if interested.

rich85

Reaction score
If you got the new Gibson Slash buckers they are just Burstbucker 2 and 3 set basically. I compared the new AFD with my Studio with the Seymour Slash set and they are were very different.

The Gibson Slash buckers, after you have played so many R8’s and R9’s etc. you can hear they are Burstbuckers immediately.

The Seymour Duncan Slash set has more compression and a unique sound to the midrange.

AJK1

Reaction score
I only use Unpotted pickups in my LP’s
Anything else sounds like shit

rbraad68

Reaction score
If you got the new Gibson Slash buckers they are just Burstbucker 2 and 3 set basically. I compared the new AFD with my Studio with the Seymour Slash set and they are were very different.

The Gibson Slash buckers, after you have played so many R8’s and R9’s etc. you can hear they are Burstbuckers immediately.

The Seymour Duncan Slash set has more compression and a unique sound to the midrange.

yeah i have a set of the APH2's in a 50s LP they sound great .. my gibson slash deff sound diff from those. i have 2 of those 59 outfit guitars epi put out and i'm looking to replace the BBs in one of them. I have thought about another set of APH2s for the guitar. the guy i got the guitar from redone the stock harness with some bumble bee caps and rewired it with some braided wire. was just looking to put something diff in the guitar and use the BBs for something else.. well thx guys looks like i have to do some thinking on what i want to do. so far those WLH and the APH2's are high up on my choices...

Latest Threads