Who was the first Person that was your Inspiration Playing Guitar

LP Traditional

Reaction score
1638042998180.png

This guy!
Before that I was just into music in general but just seeing Page with a Les Paul really low was the coolest thing I had ever seen! I suppose it is his fault I love Les Pauls. His and Steve Jones

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, it was Peter Frampton as well, except that it goes back to Humble Pie's "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" album which I bought when it was released in '71. I used to sit in my room and play that album constantly, while gawking at the pictures of him and that gorgeous Les Paul! Who am I kidding, I still do that!!!! :laugh2:

There was something about his playing/style and tone that just knocked me for a loop and still does to this day. His phrasing is impeccable!

I'd be remiss though if I didn't mention Mark Farner too. Very similar situation to Frampton. I'd play their first live album "Grand Funk Live", over and over and over. Great player (nice guy too!) and a rockin' band regardless of what the critics had to say back then.

Still two of my all-time favorite live albums, ones that I continually listen too, along with "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore The Complete Recordings".

Honorable mention goes to Alex Lifeson and of course, "All The World's A Stage".

IMHO, you can't find 3 (4) better live albums than those.

You mean some of this?

Hell ya!!! :h5:

DavGrape

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was something about his playing/style and tone that just knocked me for a loop and still does to this day. His phrasing is impeccable!
Not a soul covers Pete's Fillmore stuff on YouTube.

Peter M

Reaction score
Around 10 yrs old I saw my uncle (mother's brother) playing his ES-175 and I was like "Hmmm cool!" Then I saw my other uncle (dad's brother) playing his SG through a Marshall stack and I was like "Ohhh yeaahhh gimme dat shite!!" :)

Last edited:

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't start playing guitar until I was 52 years old.

At that moment in time, I was more or less casting about for a fresh, new, challenging sort of hobby, seeing as all the shit I'd been doing for fun before that had gotten to be old hat.

So, on October 24, 2010, I was sitting in my pickup truck at work, listening to the "House of Blues Radio Hour" hosted by Dan Akroyd.

The funny thing is that while I do enjoy listening to Blues sometimes, it's very much a mood thing in my case and at that moment in time I wasn't particularly in the mood to listen to Blues. However, the local Rock stations were (predictably) playing the SOS and so I decided to hang with the Blues for a while instead. It was the Lesser of Two Boredoms.

So, Clapton's version of "Key to the Highway", from the Layla album came on and I sat there and listened to it. Of course I have been listening to that song ever since shortly after the album's release in 1970, and I always liked it... when I was in the mood for straight-up Blues, anyway. But I never really loved the song, and I still don't.

However, for some reason, that day I was really paying attention to the sound of the guitar in the song, and got to thinking about how nifty it might be to take up the guitar. I did expect it to be a fun challenge-- though not quite so much a challenge as the pursuit actually turned out to be. :shock:

Still... it's been great, studying the guitar. While I certainly won't sit here and crow about how great I am at it, I will say this much anyway: I did get to be a whole lot better than I actually expected myself to become... and I do keep on improving, even now.

12 years of guitar, now... and it has been great fun! My only regret is that I didn't start this shit about thirty years earlier. :p

clapton.jpg

So anyway: Eric Clapton might be said to have been the person who "inspired me" to play the guitar... even though the only songs of his that I ever learned were "Badge" and "Tears in Heaven"...

I like some of the guy's material, disliked a whole lot more, and never really aspired to absorb all that much of his work. Weird, how shit happens sometimes, and strange that it was while listening to EC that I suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to buy a guitar and start learning to play it.

The very next day, October 25, 2010, I went to a Sam Ash store and bought my first guitar-- an American Standard Stratocaster, SSS type... and I've been pluggin' away at it ever since.

--R :p

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't start playing guitar until I was 52 years old.

At that moment in time, I was more or less casting about for a fresh, new, challenging sort of hobby, seeing as all the shit I'd been doing for fun before that had gotten to be old hat.

So, on October 24, 2010, I was sitting in my pickup truck at work, listening to the "House of Blues Radio Hour" hosted by Dan Akroyd.

The funny thing is that while I do enjoy listening to Blues sometimes, it's very much a mood thing in my case and at that moment in time I wasn't particularly in the mood to listen to Blues. However, the local Rock stations were (predictably) playing the SOS and so I decided to hang with the Blues for a while instead. It was the Lesser of Two Boredoms.

So, Clapton's version of "Key to the Highway", from the Layla album came on and I sat there and listened to it. Of course I have been listening to that song ever since shortly after the album's release in 1970, and I always liked it... when I was in the mood for straight-up Blues, anyway. But I never really loved the song, and I still don't.

However, for some reason, that day I was really paying attention to the sound of the guitar in the song, and got to thinking about how nifty it might be to take up the guitar. I did expect it to be a fun challenge-- but not quite so much a challenge as the pursuit actually turned out to be.

Still... it's been great, studying the guitar. While I certainly won't sit here and crow about how great I am at it, I will say this much anyway: I did get to be a whole lot better than I actually expected myself to become... and I do keep on improving, even now.

12 years of guitar, now... and it has been great fun! My only regret is that I didn't start this shit about thirty years earlier. :p

So anyway: Eric Clapton might be said to have been the person who "inspired me" to play the guitar... even though the only songs of his that I ever learned were "Badge" and "Tears in Heaven"...

I like some of the guy's material, disliked a whole lot more, and never really aspired to absorb all that much of his work. Weird, how shit happens sometimes, and strange that it was while listening to EC that I suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to buy a guitar and start learning to play it.

The very next day, October 25, 2010, I went to a Sam Ash store and bought my first guitar-- an American Standard Stratocaster, SSS type... and I've been pluggin' away at it ever since.

--R :p

Excellent story.

Did you buy a Les Paul 3 days later?

RR.png

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Brother. He got me into Sabbath and he also played/plays classical (even built a classical from scratch whilst in high school/early college).

So, I wanted to be just like Iommi. Then Leslie West: Mountain "Twin Peaks" and to a lesser degree Nugent.

scrumm21

Reaction score
I too was late to the table, buying my 1st guitar at age 57.... seven years ago.....

....to fulfill dream of playing rhythm guitar to JJ Flash on Johnny Winter 'And Live... as well as Shakin All Over with Pete on Live at Leeds

...for 60 mins a night i AM a rock star........

BTW, 1st was an epi lp-100 lol

Latest Threads