Who Remembers 9-25-78?

duck2k

Reaction score
While I was in San Diego for the ComiCon, I took another trip to "ground zero," where Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) crashed. The 727 214 collided with a Cessna 172, on it's approach to Limburgh Field. At that time, it was the worst air disaster (until supeceded 8 months later with American Airlines DC-10 going down at Chicago O'Hare). I remember the news on that fateful Monday after coming home from school. The night before, I had just got done watching the second installment of "Battlestar Galactica" (the original one).

Here are the photos taken by Hans Wendt:

Here are my photos of Dwight and Nile Streets (Northpark). If you look up Dwight Street, you can see Boundary Street (where most of the bodies were found)

Dwight Street runs East and West; Nile Street and Boundary Street run North and South.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jeez. It's hard imagining something that violent happening in a place that looks that peaceful.

Deftone

Reaction score
Yea, I remember that. We used to fly PSA from SF to San Diego to visit my grandparents all the time.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Vaguely remember seeing it on the news as a kid; clearly remember some of the video and still footage I saw years later.

First time I've seen that shot of the plane on fire. What a terrible way to die, trapped inside a thin metal tube, powerless to do anything but await the inevitable.

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well,....

that's just terrifying.

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
Vaguely remember seeing it on the news as a kid; clearly remember some of the video and still footage I saw years later.

First time I've seen that shot of the plane on fire. What a terrible way to die, trapped inside a thin metal tube, powerless to do anything but await the inevitable.
My thoughts exactly. Horrible.

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was alive at the time, but don't remember that accident.

Rankelson

Reaction score
I Recall the Chicago O Hare DC 10 crash
My first time in an aircraft was May 30 1979
It was the first British Airways DC 10,cleared to fly Trans~Atlantic to Boston/Logan
I was Shitting my pants for 6 1/2hours~Watching the engine from my Porthole
Poignant,indeed,
We Flew home on an Air Lingus 747,as all DC 10s were Grounded again in the June

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I vaguely remember it. We were still in Iran and it was on AFRTS for a minute or so.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I was 7 when that happened, I vaquely remember seeing it on the news.

I've seen that footage since then though.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I was in Iran because my dad was a contract employee for his Air Force. He was a Raytheon missile technician. We left there not long after this happened, because of the Revolution. Me, I was in sixth grade.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

I had just turned 26 - and it made the headlines here in Blighty.
Didn't recall the details - thanks for the reminder. Life is fragile.