Who REALLY invented Rock and Roll music?

Who really invented rock and roll?

• Chuck Berry

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Ike Turner

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Chuck Fs#$ing Berry

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Elvis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Little Richard

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Snakum

Reaction score
So who really put us where we are today. Who essentially changed the culture in the west for 60 or so years?

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little Richard

*Voted Elvis

pondcaster

Reaction score
Although nothing but respect for them all but voted for Mr Berry.

Snakum

Reaction score
Ike at Sun Studio in '51, also with the first distorted elec. guitar from a busted speaker from the amp getting dropped.
I remember a radio show in the 80s where he talked about that. Some will say he is the father of what we now consider rock guitar.

Of course, Ray Davies will disagree. :D

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listeners did.

It never was a thing you can reach out and grab. It's like asking who invented rap.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I defy anyone to pin rock and roll down a single person. It depends on what rock and roll is, and not when it was first called that.

But the thread will be entertaining :)

Snakum

Reaction score
Chuck Berry. wow. so good. so rock and roll.

But can I vote for: Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Willie Dixon and Jimmy Reed in a 5 way tie????
I would certainly agree they are the Godfathers of rock. But if I understood a couple books and documentary movies the Honorable Mr Charles Berry (aka God) brought a swinging country-ish style into the studio and borrowed things from Wolf and Muddy, creating something a little different.

I don't really know, or care, who invented it. My money is on the aliens that crashed in Roswell. It would make sense given the time frame.

As long as we all agree Chuck Berry is God. Then we'll get along fine

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I wonder who tried to kill rock and roll? The person that directed the action.

Plane crashes, prison time, drafted into the Army, moral corruption ostracized etc. etc. How many of the late 50's rockers were flat out 100% silenced?

Snakum

Reaction score
I wonder who tried to kill rock and roll? The person that directed the action.

Plane crashes, prison time, drafted into the Army, moral corruption ostracized etc. etc. How many of the late 50's rockers were flat out 100% silenced?
Hmmm .... never thought about that. Now I have something else to keep me awake at night. Thanks a lot. :(

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Yeah, not many of them didn't have their career as a musician totally destroyed in some fashion at least for a few years at their peak.

I love early rock for it's blending. Country, R&B, Blues, all mixed up together.

My favorite example is Dale Hawkins. All the elements above are in it. Country-esque vocals, Bo Diddley-esque guitar, Delta style story telling boisterous lyrics, driving rythm section. So crazy. Look back at the hits from the late 40'a and it's like the music is from a different planet.

Latest Threads