Who makes the best non-Gibson Les Paul Junior DC Replicas?

MagneticTape

Reaction score
Who makes the best non-Gibson Les Paul Junior DC Replica?
Thicker 59 or 58 neck, not smaller 60's neck, 1 piece mahogany or spanish cedar body, P90

Really looking for premium build quality, a lifetime instrument with the best woods. Unfortunately many of the Junior replicas seem like they target lower price, not better quality. Ideally it would have a braz board, old growth mahogany, nitro, close to authentic neck profiles and body/headstock shapes. A neck volute would be a bonus.

I've eyed the Tokai Love Rock TJ's but they are not 1 piece body.
EDIT: I found out the Tokai TJ85 and higher model numbers are in fact a 1 piece mahogany body.

PRS and Nik Huber made some great Junior inspired SC's. Though not the DC look, they do look killer.

Maybach looks pretty interesting

Vaschenko made a great one he posted on FB, but he's got a 1.5 year waiting period
Vaschenko.png

Collings 290 DC looks great but I've heard the P90 is a little more mellow than a vintage junior/replica so I'd probably need to swap the pickup.

Feline Lion Cub DC Junior looks like a good option

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
@LtDave32 is building a DC junior as we speak. His brand Desert Star Guitars are awesome..... all handmade from scratch.... from materials you select. Here’s mine.... not finished yet.... but soon to be.:cheers:
FDF08192-6A90-4A7C-8B14-5462FEEBE4BD.jpeg

BA832C96-6A88-4519-805A-B13575EA9FFE.jpeg

09F5732F-1BC1-434F-96DE-FFFF5ED50879.jpeg

PierM

Reaction score
Collings are superior instruments, no game with Gibson (yep, I'm saying that), and Lollars sounds beautiful. Unfortunately importing Collings over here it's bloody nonsensical expensive, but those I've played were really magic. Feeling, fit and finish absolutely special. They feels like a well cared vintage instrument, and the finish is so thin that you can still smell the wood underneath. Hope to score one soon or later...

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
The original Gibson may not have a Braz board, but it's less cash than some of those replicas so I guess money is no object.

Why not buy a used Gibson and have a Braz board put on it?

MagneticTape

Reaction score
<Long rant deleted> Gibson has let me down too many times so I prefer smaller boutique builders until they improve their track record.

I'm likely visiting Tokyo next month so I might just look for a Junior while I'm there and hit Ochanomizu "Guitar Street" which is an entire street with more guitars per square foot than anywhere on earth.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
W
<Long rant deleted> Gibson has let me down too many times so I prefer smaller boutique builders until they improve their track record.

I'm likely visiting Tokyo next month so I might just look for a Junior while I'm there and hit Ochanomizu "Guitar Street" which is an entire street with more guitars per square foot than anywhere on earth.
Well, I don't shop Tokyo, and I haven't had many issues with my Gibsons but I see your point without reading the deleted bits :cheers2:
Happy shopping, MT!

endial

Reaction score
I just discovered Eastman is in the Junior ballgame. I'd wager they're sweet.

hbucker

Reaction score

MagneticTape

Reaction score
While an Epiphone is not branded Gibson, it's obviously still made by them. I don't ever plan on buying another Gibson product. Too many far superior replicas or "inspired by" guitars out there that are much closer to the great original vintage instruments, or that have major improvements over them like in the case of Nik Huber. I've been burned far too many times by them so I've moved on.

I ended up buying a Nik Huber Junior.

Reactions: tzd

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, you bought a Junior copy and not an actual Junior. If you wanted an actual, as close as possible to old specs Junior, you have to buy a Custom Shop Junior reissue. The USA models are damn close, and I haven't heard of any problems with them.

What you bought is not a Junior, unless it says Gibson on the headstock. On the other hand, I have a crappy Epi '57 reissue Junior, but it's in the spirit of the original.

I enjoy mine, I hope you enjoy yours!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
So, you bought a Junior copy and not an actual Junior. If you wanted an actual, as close as possible to old specs Junior, you have to buy a Custom Shop Junior reissue. The USA models are damn close, and I haven't heard of any problems with them.

What you bought is not a Junior, unless it says Gibson on the headstock. On the other hand, I have a crappy Epi '57 reissue Junior, but it's in the spirit of the original.

I enjoy mine, I hope you enjoy yours!
I had the korina ‘57 RI and it was not a crappy guitar.

Custom53

Reaction score
That was part of the reason I bought my 1981 Hamer Special, new in 1981. Because it looked like a Gibson. And it plays really good and looks really good and I still have it because of how nice it is..

81Special.jpg

81 Special 2.jpg

004.JPG

And I have a strap and case to match the checkerboard headstock..

CheckerboardCase.jpg

Plus one that is different but still similar.. My Hamer 3 hole Duotone. I love this guitar also..!
Duotone = Humbuckers and Bridge piezo pickup..

Duotone9.jpg

DuotoneB.jpg

Last edited: