Who makes the best non-Gibson Les Paul Junior DC Replicas?

MagneticTape

Reaction score
Who makes the best non-Gibson Les Paul Junior DC Replica?
Thicker 59 or 58 neck, not smaller 60's neck, 1 piece mahogany or spanish cedar body, P90

Really looking for premium build quality, a lifetime instrument with the best woods. Unfortunately many of the Junior replicas seem like they target lower price, not better quality. Ideally it would have a braz board, old growth mahogany, nitro, close to authentic neck profiles and body/headstock shapes. A neck volute would be a bonus.

I've eyed the Tokai Love Rock TJ's but they are not 1 piece body.

PRS made only a SC, Nik Huber made a great Junior inspired guitar but the body shape doesn't quite nail that Gibson DC aesthetic.

Maybach looks pretty interesting

Vaschenko made a great one he posted on FB, but he's got a 1.5 year waiting period
Vaschenko.png

Collings 290 DC looks great but I've heard the P90 is a little more mellow than a vintage junior/replica so I'd probably need to swap the pickup.

Feline Lion Cub DC Junior looks like a good option

Knaggs Kenai J looks very interesting - Not a DC or the exact Jr shape but I like what they have going on. Has correct specs and scale length with a 59 neck profile.

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
@LtDave32 is building a DC junior as we speak. His brand Desert Star Guitars are awesome..... all handmade from scratch.... from materials you select. Here’s mine.... not finished yet.... but soon to be.:cheers:
FDF08192-6A90-4A7C-8B14-5462FEEBE4BD.jpeg

BA832C96-6A88-4519-805A-B13575EA9FFE.jpeg

09F5732F-1BC1-434F-96DE-FFFF5ED50879.jpeg

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Collings are superior instruments, no game with Gibson (yep, I'm saying that), and Lollars sounds beautiful. Unfortunately importing Collings over here it's bloody nonsensical expensive, but those I've played were really magic. Feeling, fit and finish absolutely special. They feels like a well cared vintage instrument, and the finish is so thin that you can still smell the wood underneath. Hope to score one soon or later...

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
The original Gibson may not have a Braz board, but it's less cash than some of those replicas so I guess money is no object.

Why not buy a used Gibson and have a Braz board put on it?

MagneticTape

Reaction score
<Long rant deleted> Gibson has let me down too many times so I prefer smaller boutique builders until they improve their track record.

I'm likely visiting Tokyo next month so I might just look for a Junior while I'm there and hit Ochanomizu "Guitar Street" which is an entire street with more guitars per square foot than anywhere on earth.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
W
<Long rant deleted> Gibson has let me down too many times so I prefer smaller boutique builders until they improve their track record.

I'm likely visiting Tokyo next month so I might just look for a Junior while I'm there and hit Ochanomizu "Guitar Street" which is an entire street with more guitars per square foot than anywhere on earth.
Well, I don't shop Tokyo, and I haven't had many issues with my Gibsons but I see your point without reading the deleted bits :cheers2:
Happy shopping, MT!