Who loves an SG?

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
Is that one of those new Bohemians? I love the colors options on those, about time the SG got some other than red and black.
It's against God and nature. It's a sign of the End Times. It's an abomination unto the Lord. I'm not certain what should be done about it, but I suspect that firebrands and pitchforks will feature prominently.

markbastable

Reaction score
Any way..... a dirty finger and a P94 later I am still in love. I mean, sh@t, I have played the finish off a three year old guitar.....like stretching out the prom queen I guess.

...like what?

markbastable

Reaction score
I've told this story elsewhere, but this thread is right for it...

So, ten or more years ago, on a whim, I bought a used and dinged Epi SG. For eighty quid. Call it $110.

I love the feel of it. Neck's seductive. Original Alnico humbucker in the neck - - which is not bad. Seymour Duncan in the bridge , which I find brittle and glassy. And the board works for me. The whole feel works. But, but, but I've always had a yen for a seventies Gibson SG with P90s.

So, I figure, yeah, one day I 'll get that. But in the meantime, I'll make this Epi special.

I put in BK pickups. A Stormy Monday humbucker at the neck, and a Mississippi Queen P90 at the bridge. The total bill was about four times what I paid for the guitar.

As a resale investment, unjustifiable. As a cost for getting a guitar that sounds and plays how I imagined it, worth the money to me.

I still want a 1970 SG Special. But what I thought was a stopgap guitar is now one I'd keep, even if I found the SG I crave.

Last edited:

TorzJohnson

Reaction score
I've had mixed results when buying SGs. I've bought 3 and had to send 2 of them back. One was an obviously returned guitar, complete with a drumstick-shaped dent on the upper horn. The dent wasn't Gibson's fault, but the terrible orange peeled finish was. Then they sent me a guitar with the neck angle so far off that I couldn't lower the bridge enough to make it playable.

The keeper was this shell pink CME exclusive; one of the most perfect guitars I have ever owned.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
"Problem Child"
2014 - JB at the bridge and 59 at the neck.

Why "Problem Child"?
I replaced the nut with a Tusq, and it resulted in buzzing... too low. I put the original back on and took it to a shop near where I work to have a decent nut made for it.
When I got it back, it played "weird", but I didn't have time to deal with pinning it down.
Eventually, I saw that the new nut was cut far too high, so "cowboy chords" were out of tune unless I pushed forward on the neck (and this neck is VERY flexible).
I checked the board and there was a fair amount of back-bow, and may be some fallaway above the 4th fret.
I loosened the truss rod probably two turns over the next week and got the bow corrected.
I've had too much going on to properly fit/cut a nut and check the fret level.

BO-66-90.jpg

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
left to right:

2006 SG Classic
2004 SG Classic
2004 SG Special (refinish)

The SG Special was originally an SG Special Faded Worn Yellow. The guitar was stripped, grain filled and leveled, refinished to gloss with the grain visible through the color.

Last edited:

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
My first guitar was an SG. Always wanted one since Robby Krieger played one in The Doors. I bought an Epiphone SG in black that I absolutely loved.

I dropped it right before I left for a trip and broke the headstock clean off. I cried.

Bought a few other SG's but they never did it for me. Switched to LP's and never turned back since.

Have been GAS'ing for a 64' Custom with Maestro. Maybe someday.