Who loves an SG?

Frogfur

Reaction score
View attachment 255258 View attachment 255257 So I bought me this here SG (SGJ) in 2014. Cheapest thing Gibson was making at the time and at the the time, its all I could afford. But......price has no leg to stand on here, this is by far the most comfortable playing guitar I have ever played......and I have played a lot of Gibsons. I have actually been told that if I am not gonna buy something I gotta find the door, lol. GC can s@ck it, lol. Any way..... a dirty finger and a P94 later I am still in love. I mean, sh@t, I have played the finish off a three year old guitar.....like stretching out the prom queen I guess.
I'm an absolute sucker for an unbound neck. Especially one that has been broke in and played a bit.
Hey, an SG is a SG. No matter what finish it came with.

Nice boots

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
I seem to have a love hate with the sg. I have had 9 or so so far. The ones I showed were noteable ones I kept for more than 48 hours. This is my definition of keeping.

You may think I am silly, but many of the guitars I have had did not really make the first cut. I have had a charmed relationship with several local choice shops, who seem to get an endless supply of great guitars. SG's being no exception. The problem is many seem too thin or very finicky. Many of my guitars sound great with a fresh set of strings, stretched out and tuned. The problem is many suffer what I call the 40 mins or 4 cocktails problem. After that time I must re tune, or they sound like crap or.... worse even tuned up they just sound shrill or like a bad photo copy of what I am looking for.

I have two amps that predominately I use. One with a cannibus rex and a second with a blue frame jenson. The two are polar opposites, as one is a blues junior with el tubes and the other is with 6l6s. The issue is I want an axe that sounds good with both, so it is a rare bird that makes that cut.
This one I had particular hops for:
IMG_5666.JPG

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I seem to have a love hate with the sg. I have had 9 or so so far. The ones I showed were noteable ones I kept for more than 48 hours. This is my definition of keeping.

You may think I am silly, but many of the guitars I have had did not really make the first cut. I have had a charmed relationship with several local choice shops, who seem to get an endless supply of great guitars. SG's being no exception. The problem is many seem too thin or very finicky. Many of my guitars sound great with a fresh set of strings, stretched out and tuned. The problem is many suffer what I call the 40 mins or 4 cocktails problem. After that time I must re tune, or they sound like crap or.... worse even tuned up they just sound shrill or like a bad photo copy of what I am looking for.

I have two amps that predominately I use. One with a cannibus rex and a second with a blue frame jenson. The two are polar opposites, as one is a blues junior with el tubes and the other is with 6l6s. The issue is I want an axe that sounds good with both, so it is a rare bird that makes that cut.
This one I had particular hops for:View attachment 320690
No offense but that sounds like the problem is you, not the guitars...

zombiwoof

Reaction score
My 2004 SG Special, Seymour Duncan '59* SH-1 humbuckers with open covers :hippie:

Where did you get those open covers, that looks like a good idea, you get the benefit of uncovered pickups but still with some of the benefits of covered pickups?.
Al

duck2k

Reaction score
Is that one of those new Bohemians? I love the colors options on those, about time the SG got some other than red and black.
Yes. That sage arrived this past Tuesday from CME (longtime client). I wanted to try one of these, and I liked three of the five colors. The sage stood out the most because of the subtle appearance. The photos do not do it justice. This guitar is a killer player. It is right up there with my ‘61 Reissue. Great to learn (in my case) slide on. This guitar is definitely worth the money spent.

Attachments