Who loves an SG?

Wailing

Reaction score
My problem is that I don't know what I want my first SG to be, either a cherry red Classic with P90s or a black Standard.
Must be cherry !!! well I am biased.

My one needed a little adjustment to balance the guitar... I put some of the small weights they use to balance wheels in the pot cavity.. all sorted :applause:
IMG_3304.JPG

belleswell

Reaction score
On the road in the early 70's with my '63. Motel in Oklahoma city if memory serves. I did two very stupid things with this guitar in my ignorant youth. 1) I refinished it in linseed oil which did serious harm to its collectable value, and 2) Sold it to a friend who I've asked a few times to sell back to me, and thus far, no luck.

JCarno

Reaction score
On the road in the early 70's with my '63. Motel in Oklahoma city if memory serves. I did two very stupid things with this guitar in my ignorant youth. 1) I refinished it in linseed oil which did serious harm to its collectable value, and 2) Sold it to a friend who I've asked a few times to sell back to me, and thus far, no luck.

OUCH!! :420:

Ace1432

Reaction score
oooOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOO

ACE loves SGs!

my VERY FIRST SG was a 2010 standard.

then i joined MLP and got a fever for some vintage gear. i never quite had enough to buy a vintage guitar outright, and i was really getting into guitar repair so i went to ebay and scooped up a 71 SG project guitar. i ended up buying the original pickups from the seller aswell but bought the pickguard and the rest of the hardware separately.

same story with my next guitar. bought the body from the same seller, but i feel like he was starting to gouge me on pricing for the rest of the original components, so i bought modern pickups and hardware.

my FAVORITE SG in my entire collection. the Gibson AMS SG24. exclusive run for American musical supply, this guitar has a firebird mini hum in the neck and a tony iommi in the bridge. i added a B7 vibrato with vibramate and converted to tonepros ABR.

my second favorite SG: Frank Zappa Roxy. i traded in my 2010 sg for this guitar and i was really sad to have to lose my standard, but the roxy sg really was something different and i wanted one. coil tap and phase switches are really cool options to play around with, the engraved maestro looks INCREDIBLE, and it has a satin finish which is neat and totally different from any guitar in MY collection.

last, but not least is my 2007 SG faded triple pickup. this was another ebay project guitar. bought the body and basically decided i wanted to try a late 60's sg custom look.the guitar came with the white pickguard so it came out as more of a tuxedo look rather than a black beauty or custom look, but i dig it alot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
‘13 Gibson SG Original (basically a ‘61 RI with a Maestro) with BKP Mule (neck) and Riff Raff (bridge) pickups and a 50s wiring harness.

Using this in a Sabbath/Motörhead/Budgie/Uncle Acid thing. With a Mojave Scorpion pushing a quad of pre-Rola G12m75s loaded with Mullards from stem to stern. Big Fun.

lunchbox

Reaction score
upload_2018-5-6_8-11-38.jpeg

I’ve always loved the look of Tim’s SG with a Flying V headstock. It’s on display in a Hard Rock Hotel now. Gibson should do a Tim Sult signature of this SG.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I always thought the '71 Pros were cool. But people are asking stupid prices for Norlins these days. If I could find a reasonable deal on one, I'd be all over it.