Who Likes The Burstbucker #1 And #2 ?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Described my experience with the BB1/2 set perfectly.
The burstbucker timbre imo isn't beautiful, a bit abrasive for clean/crunch and muddy/fizzy for high gain. Also the 1 noticeably overpowers the 2. That being said tweaking usually gets the job done and they're more versatile than the '57 classics. (too round and warm) It's just that I've never been wowed by them.

Yes, the neck can overpower it’s bridge mate, so that necessitated a higher setting for the B.B. #2 bridge pup.

I have it positioned now where I hear that characteristic “chirp” when using the middle toggle position. Only, I've now found the neck a bit “dark”. I then reworked the heights again, upwards and presto.....the “chirp” comes back, the neck is still clear and my bridge pup still sounds decent and seems to drive the amp more.
Whew! This took a bit of doing. It's fun and I've learned something not only with this new Trad, but even a bit more about how my Dark Terror should be tweaked. It never was this “complicated” when playing an acoustic years ago

Classicplayer

straightblues

Reaction score
I have them in a 2017 Memphis ES335 and they sound great in that guitar with the tone rolled back to about 7. With tone at 10, they are a bit too bright and harsh. I can easily dial in some great tones working the volume and tone knobs. They will be staying in the guitar.

2Muchgear

Reaction score
I removed a BB1/2 from an ‘07 R9…and ended up swapping into my ‘91 Studio, which comes in at 10.2#. I’m not an alnico 2 fan as I like more pick attack, so the neck now has an RCA4 and the bridge UOA5. 500k pots, orange drop .022’s with 50’s wiring. Really as good anything I have - ThroBak, Ants, Mojo 59’s and a few sets of 57 Classics.

This studio was my first real Les Paul, I’ll never get rid of it and I’ll never take these out.

kungpow!

Reaction score
I found them fine. Big, full, and warm sounding. Maybe lacking articulation?!

But I took em outta that guitar and put in Sheptone and haven't looked back

Latest Threads