WHO LIKES THE 2015 GIBSON LES PAUL SPECIAL DOUBLE CUT P90 GUITARS?

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
I just unpacked my 3rd one after having it delivered from UPS yesterday. I really like the alnico slug pickups which yield a real nice jangly chime and bite in the bridge position. Both the bridge and neck pickups can also yield nice round tones by adjusting the tone and volume. My vintage sunburst one is going to stay stock and I am going to experiment with a Dimarzio P90 Super Distortion in the Bridge and an 80's Dimarzio DLX-1 in the neck on one of these. If that goes good I will try an 80's Seymour Duncan Maricela Juarez wound 2BJ ceramic bridge mini humbucker and a Seymour Duncan mini humbucker alnico neck pickup on the other.

Considering I only paid $600 and $650 out the door brand new for these guitars I really think they are a great value especially with the gold hardshell 100th anniversary case included. I've had pretty good luck with the G-force tuners and if down the road they fail I can always put Grovers on them. I don't mind just one volume and one tone control and the wrap around tailpiece. I do like the .050 a side wider bound rosewood fretboard and mahogany neck.

My last one I just acquired looks like it has a Graph Tech nut. Once I tune it up and play it I'll see how the intonation is. Another cool thing is how each of the cherry stained pieces of mahogany differ in grain along with the different shade of cherry each one is.
45.jpg

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
Here is the verdict on my latest 2015 Les Paul Double Cut P90 I just got. It came set up perfect, holds tune, and plays real good. The only downside it doesn't have the same jangly chime and bite my other 2 have which still have their factory brass nuts. This one has what looks like an adjustable replacement nut. I emailed pictures and talked to a tech support guy at Graph Tech and he said it doesn't look like their zero fret nut. I will soon replace all 3 of them with the replacement titanium nuts Gibson sent me.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m a fan of the 2015s in general. I wish these had chunkier necks, that’s been my only gripe with the specials.

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
Still diggin' mine ~

Does yours still have the original brass nut? The gold knobs look nice. I think I am going to upgrade my vintage sunburst with gold speed knobs, a creme with gold imprint rhythm/treble toggle switch washer , and a creme toggle switch cap.

Telechamp

Reaction score
Does yours still have the original brass nut? The gold knobs look nice. I think I am going to upgrade my vintage sunburst with gold speed knobs, a creme with gold imprint rhythm/treble toggle switch washer , and a creme toggle switch cap.
Yes, I still have the original brass nut on mine! I did get the titanium replacement nut from Gibson, but I still haven't put it on yet. I guess I need to do that, but so far the original brass nut has been holding up fine.. G-Force still works perfectly, too..

Yeah, thanks, I think the gold tophat knobs go well with the sunburst finish.

Last edited:

afireinside

Reaction score
Loved that mine was $450 new on blowout. But hated the neck and gold case. Amazing build quality! Same with x2 2015 SG Standard firebursts i got for $600 new. All sold....

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ask @Who ?

Jon W

Reaction score
I have one in TV yellow. It's a 4 knob version. It's good. Kind of heavy for a special but does sound good.

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
I have one in TV yellow. It's a 4 knob version. It's good. Kind of heavy for a special but does sound good.
Suuuuuhhhweeeeeet!
Is it like the one in the picture below with the white Gibson Deluxe Button Tuners?
1611771464827.png

Jon W

Reaction score
yup but the curve of the cut away is like the first ones posted.

Thinking of a floyd and humbuckers on it....not.

wmachine

Reaction score
I like mine! But I'm kind of in limbo with it. When they were blown out, this DC and the LP Junior were both sub-$500, so I got one of each. Absolutely love the Jr, and really do understand what all the fuss is all about. The DC is theoretically more versatile, but I'm just not getting anything out oi that "extra". So the DC doesn't end up having a place in the lineup that isn't covered by something else I have. Would be different if I didn't have the JR. No fault of the guitar, the DC is a great one.

Latest Threads