Who likes em' Big?

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
Pedals and effects that is.

Idk why, but I find myself gravitating towards the bigger pedals lately. Not that there's anything wrong with MXR/Boss sized pedals or even the mini pedals. But I really enjoy the look of a full sized Tonebender, a hefty delay box or a big ol' wah. Anyone prefer the bigger pedals over the smaller ones? Either for tones or looks?

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
No real preference size as I'm already fussy enough with other aspects but, given a choice between two identical pedals, I'll chhose an MXR sized box just because my board is already crowded and heavy enough. I don't like those mini pedals though, I have human sized feet.

Here's an old photo of some of my pedals, including some that are rather large.

pedalslg.jpg

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
The switch on my 80's Ibanez BPL, Bi-Stage Phaser finally crapped out so I "dusted off" my Roland AP-2 Phase II .....Cool tones and sizeable!

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the wide pedal with not too many features, and just enough to be robust and convenient, with lots of ideas to paint with sound. Like the MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, which is my favorite pedal as of late.

But what I do NOT like, is a pedal in the same size, so jam packed with features, that you can't possibly read the text in low light or without glasses if you're far sighted. The ones that are so packed with features, i's not easy to use, and you will never use all of the features. The EHX Grand Canyon comes to mind.

joff

Reaction score
I used to have three big Blackstar valve pedals...reverb, modulation and delay...i found them too big and they also had to each use their own power supply...so, i finally sold them and bought some nice smaller pedals which use 9V batteries or a 9V power supply. :)

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
But what I do NOT like, is a pedal in the same size, so jam packed with features, that you can't possibly read the text in low light or without glasses if you're far sighted. The ones that are so packed with features, i's not easy to use, and you will never use all of the features. The EHX Grand Canyon comes to mind.
Totally agree with that. I don't want to have to break out the manual in the middle of a show just to deal with some parameter that sounds off. If it has many features, it's probably best to use it only at home.

Elmore

Reaction score
I agree with the too many options issue. At least for live use. I went to GC to buy a phaser for Waylon sounds. The young kid tried to sell me something with many knobs. I bought an MXR with one knob. I told the kid it was easier if I had been drinking. I may have changed the way he looks at pedals.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 426216
Idiotbox - "No Moon" It's a Big Muff, Tube Screamer, and a Rat running parallel.
This.

I prefer smaller, "standard" sized boxes (like the TS9).
I also like this type of multi, since it saves some space with the same ergos as conventional pedals.

I don't like pedals that have "tap" and multi-function knobs and switches that are not self-intuitive. If I *need* a manual to make a pedal work, unless it's a looper, I'm not going to buy it.
My Pocket-Pod gets very little use simply because of the interface. It's fine connected to the PC.

I really don't care for the battery-free micro pedals except very simple "set and forget" items like noise gates.