Who knows the band Dorothy?

rxbandit

Reaction score
We're opening for this band in Denver next week and they're badass! 70s style hard rock with a great woman singer who can wail. I found out about them a few days ago when we got added on the show and I quickly became a fan.

Stoked for the show, 1350 capacity. Gonna be killer. Who else knows Dorothy/anyone seen em before?

The venue (Summit Denver)

Last edited:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We're opening for this band in Denver next week and they're badass! 70s style hard rock with a great woman singer who can wail. I found out about them a few days ago when we got added on the show and I quickly became a fan.

Stoked for the show, 1350 capacity. Gonna be killer. Who else knows Dorothy/anyone seen em before?

Damn!!!

Man, y’all are living the life,brother! Wish I was your age again!
Knock’em dead,man!

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember the last time I listened to something that didn't have a female singer?

I really haven't liked any male singers since the 90's. You can't beat (imo) Chris Cornell and Layne Staley.

..trying to think...new Metallica? ...Mastodon? …

yeah I just listen to Asian stuff that has female singers. They usually sing much better anyway. They're not scared to sing with emotion. Guys tend to just yell, or talk-sing, or do lots of macho posturing but not a lot of real singing.

Women actually sing.

Well,..and Chris Cornell. ….damn that guy was good.

Actually other than Chris Cornell, Robert Plant,....Ozzy? … I'm struggling to think of guys I've listened to that actually truly sang a song.

2rutd1.jpg

Last edited:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember the last time I listened to something that didn't have a female singer?

I really haven't liked any male singers since the 90's. You can't beat (imo) Chris Cornell and Layne Staley.

..trying to think...new Metallica? ...Mastodon? …

yeah I just listen to Asian stuff that has female singers. They usually sing much better anyway. They're not scared to sing with emotion. Guys tend to just yell, or talk-sing, or do lots of macho posturing but not a lot of real singing.

Women actually sing.

Well,..and Chris Cornell. ….damn that guy was good.

Actually other than Chris Cornell, Robert Plant,....Ozzy? … I'm struggling to think of guys I've listened to that actually truly sang a song.
Man.....ole Layne. Now that’s a great singer. I know,I know....I always say it,but,dammit,what a loss.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I loved those weird 4th's and 5th's harmonies he would do,..and the suspensions, or singing a 3rd while the guitar played the root 5 chords. He just heard really weird harmonies in his head, but damn,...he had the talent to make it so we got to hear them too. :dude:

@rxbandit

good luck with the gig, man. Knock 'Em Dead! :dude:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I loved those weird 4th's and 5th's harmonies he would do,..and the suspensions, or singing a 3rd while the guitar played the root 5 chords. He just heard really weird harmonies in his head, but damn,...he had the talent to make it so we could hear them too. :dude:
I’m no good at understanding what y’all just said there,brother,however,no other male singer has ever gave me goosebumps. He could....just unbelievable

Lungo

Reaction score
I’ve heard of them but never listened to their music. Sounds good! No doubt the place should be packed congratulations on the gig!

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m no good at understanding what y’all just said there,brother,however,no other male singer has ever gave me goosebumps. He could....just unbelievable
listen to the chorus to Angry Chair, the guitar is playing: A5, B5, F#5, G5,... but Layne sings a high D, C#, A, B

So together with the guitar you heard this: Asus4, Bsus2, F#m, G,.... the guitar and the vocals would make a complete chord when you listen to both at once. Where a lot (most) vocalists play it safe and stick with the roots, he would sing 'outside' notes. I think that's what gave you the goosebumps,..it did that to me too.

or something like, 'Brother', during the verse you hear that, 'frozen in the place I hide',..he'd sing the 5th of the chord as his root note, then harmonize a 4th against that 5th. And it all worked. He was singing 4ths, (kind of like the guitar riff to smoke on the water, only done with vocals.)

Alice in Chains when you look at the interplay between the guitar and vocals is one of those rare instances where after the fact you could look at what they did from a theory point of view and be like, "G'damn that's brilliant!",...but they weren't trying to be 'smart musicians',.. they were just making cool music that sounded good to them.

Music > Theory, every time. And they're a great example of it. Do what sounds cool, and let the theory people figure it all out later.

Don't let theory write the songs,...then you get...well....Dream Theater'ish stuff,...prog-rock,..math rock. :laugh2:

Neat in its own way, but more intellectual. Alice in Chains was just rock music, but it was damn neat rock music,..much better than most.

___

RX, sorry not trying to derail or anything. I just like discussing the 'why's of why some music works or sounds a certain way. The inflections of the language are more interesting than the language itself.

I do sincerely wish you great luck on your gig. I hope you have a blast!

rxbandit

Reaction score
listen to the chorus to Angry Chair, the guitar is playing: A5, B5, F#5, G5,... but Layne sings a high D, C#, A, B

So together with the guitar you heard this: Asus4, Bsus2, F#m, G,.... the guitar and the vocals would make a complete chord when you listen to both at once. Where a lot (most) vocalists play it safe and stick with the roots, he would sing 'outside' notes. I think that's what gave you the goosebumps,..it did that to me too.

or something like, 'Brother', during the verse you hear that, 'frozen in the place I hide',..he'd sing the 5th of the chord as his root note, then harmonize a 4th against that 5th. And it all worked. He was singing 4ths, (kind of like the guitar riff to smoke on the water, only done with vocals.)

Alice in Chains when you look at the interplay between the guitar and vocals is one of those rare instances where after the fact you could look at what they did from a theory point of view and be like, "G'damn that's brilliant!",...but they weren't trying to be 'smart musicians',.. they were just making cool music that sounded good to them.

Music > Theory, every time. And they're a great example of it. Do what sounds cool, and let the theory people figure it all out later.

Don't let theory write the songs,...then you get...well....Dream Theater'ish stuff,...prog-rock,..math rock. :laugh2:

Neat in its own way, but more intellectual. Alice in Chains was just rock music, but it was damn neat rock music,..much better than most.

___

RX, sorry not trying to derail or anything. I just like discussing the 'why's of why some music works or sounds a certain way. The inflections of the language are more interesting than the language itself.

I do sincerely wish you great luck on your gig. I hope you have a blast!
No need to apologize! I love reading you explain theory and I love the offshoot, Layne was damn incredible. Happy that my dumb thread sparked a deeper discussion haha