Who is known for playing a '56?

sikoniko

Reaction score
So I have been thinking about the vintage Les Pauls and it is pretty easy to see the big names with the bursts. I can also quickly rattle off a number of players that used the wrap-tail 53-54 guitars, but I'm struggling to name anyone, other than David Gilmour (because of the videos on this board) that is known for playing a '56.

help?! Any YouTube video's? Who is known for playing a '56? any big names?

Jimmi

Reaction score
Duane Allman played a 56. I have a picture with him playing slide on one (or late 55 or very early 57).

billy

Reaction score
Danny Kirwan had a 56 i think.. and Howlin Wolf's guitarist Hubert Sumlin.

planks

Reaction score
Always thought Hubert Sumlin played a '54? : -

Some info about his '56 GT here (Excerpt from Gibson.com);

"Hubert Sumlin played a Goldtop on many Howlin’ Wolf classics.
Wolf gave Sumlin his first Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (with wraparound bridge and P-90 pickups)
in the mid -’50s as a gift. It was stolen, but Sumlin bought himself another,
the 1956 Les Paul Goldtop (with P-90s but a Tune-o-matic bridge) that he played on many blues hits."

dsess

Reaction score
Duane Allman played a 56. I have a picture with him playing slide on one (or late 55 or very early 57).

could you post that picture? ive never heard of duane playing a 56..

Jimmi

Reaction score
could you post that picture? ive never heard of duane playing a 56..

I will see if I can dig it up. It is an a book on guitars I basically stole (ie never returned) from my high school library. Has him in the studio (with headset on). There is a chance I am remembering wrong and it is a wrap tail but pretty sure it had p90s.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I will see if I can dig it up. It is an a book on guitars I basically stole (ie never returned) from my high school library. Has him in the studio (with headset on). There is a chance I am remembering wrong and it is a wrap tail but pretty sure it had p90s.

You mean this picture?
Duane_fretboard_comparison.jpg

Jimmi

Reaction score
You mean this picture?

That is close to the one I was thinking of except he was sitting and there is a boom mike in front of him. I have not looked at that photo in 20 yrs so maybe I am mistaken and it was the GT '57...thing is I took note of the photo because I had just seen a p90 guitar in a store down from my house at the time I got the book out of our library. I think it is still at my parents house, probably in a big can of my stuff.

While we are talking about it, isnt there a picture of Page with a GT p90 in the opus page's guitar thread?

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
My guitar teacher used to back him in NYC for a while. I've heard many awesome stories about the man. He told me it was a '56 and Hubert no longer had it at that point. He used to borrow my teacher's Norlin GT w/ Dimarzio PAFs and bitch about how heavy it was, hahaha.

Sadly he recently passed. A true pioneer of the electric guitar.

circusboy28

Reaction score
Duane was into guitars so I'd be surprised if he didn't play a P-90 LP at some point but I've never heard of him owning one. Humbucker Paul's, a 335, Dickies SG, and before them Strats. Lots of people have favorite celebrity guitars...as far as I'm concerned you can keep Hot 'Lanta, I would love to have Duane's '57 Goldie (with the original PAFs put back in).

Flogger59

Reaction score
I remember a clip from when I was a kid of The Doobies playing China Grove using 56 Goldtops and Brownface Bassman amps. Of course, all I see on Youtube from the time are ES335, ES340, and a Burst.

sikoniko

Reaction score
admittedly, I'd never heard of Hubert Sumlin until this thread. Glad I have now. :)

adamsvok

Reaction score
admittedly, I'd never heard of Hubert Sumlin until this thread. Glad I have now. :)

There's always a first time! He was the reason I started playin the Blues... Just look up some interviews with him on youtube you'll see how charming he was! May he rest in peace!

Latest Threads