Who is going to play their Murphy Lab until the finish falls off?

Pageburst

Reaction score
Title should be rockabilly song I think.

Anyway I’ve been enjoying my one ML, finish be damned. I always feel blessed to play these beautiful Les Pauls. I hope other folks are enjoying their MLs as well

Here is the ML

Here is the ML to the left of my Murphy painted WW R9

Last edited:

amorrow

Reaction score
Yea there’s no way I’m returning either of my MLs…have already become too attached to both. If the finish starts lifting I could see sending it in for repair…but will deal with that if/when time comes.

Socrates

Reaction score
Heck if I owned one and loved it...finish be damned...I'd play it and watch it fall off :)

About a year ago I bought my 57 LPC from Wildwood and got a $1500 discount because it had 3 finish cracks that happened when Fedex froze it overnight in a delivery truck when it shipped to them. I looked at the checking the day I got it and thought cool...I like it!

Last edited:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens with these after, say, 2-5 years. They're still brand new, so Gibson is obligated to remedy it now, but their warranty doesn't cover finish damage. Not everyone who bought these is on the forums and my guess is 95% of them will just be case queens.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
warranty against defects and poor workmanship....

leads to definition problems

is the finish "supposed to evolve" ?
or remain in a state of a selected ageedness,, ie
lightly aged or heavy aged?

implied
but not addressed leaves it ambigous ....

ibzprestige

Reaction score
I got a black custom that was built this month, I heard the paint cracking while sitting on my stand. Hopefully that's normal, might be such a fresh guitar it's still acclimating.

DanD

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what happens with these after, say, 2-5 years. They're still brand new, so Gibson is obligated to remedy it now, but their warranty doesn't cover finish damage. Not everyone who bought these is on the forums and my guess is 95% of them will just be case queens.
... and when they open said case a year from now I'd like to see the look on their face when a good chunk of the finish is in the case vs on the guitar...

irocdave12

Reaction score
I got a black custom that was built this month, I heard the paint cracking while sitting on my stand. Hopefully that's normal, might be such a fresh guitar it's still acclimating.
Ah I gotta say thats the first time ever I’ve seen someone say they heard their finish making noise. I’d have to put that one in the slightly concerning column as far as finish adhesion goes.

skydog

Reaction score
Ah I gotta say thats the first time ever I’ve seen someone say they heard their finish making noise. I’d have to put that one in the slightly concerning column as far as finish adhesion goes.
There was a guy on the Martin forum that heard his 6 week old D-28 ‘open up’, right in the middle of the second chorus on Sweet Home Alabama!

calieng

Reaction score
You guys know it is only the guitars with dark cherry backs that are the problem right? But in time all the finish should come off. Might look cool to some but probably the neck will feel a little rough until all the finish is completely gone.

I understand really liking your guitar but I hope some of you decide to return them while you still can.

Apparently the new batches of these guitars will not have the issue.

Good luck and keep us posted how things are working out.

Latest Threads