Who here has the LEAST powerful amp, in TERM OF WATTAGE?

allwheelz

Reaction score
So i'm spending a good bit on these vintage, heavy iron, busting my ass carrying around amps, and you guys are killing it with 5 watters on a reasonable budget. I need to get with the times...still looking forward to getting my vintage modern though...VERY excited

James Carney

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an AC4TV also.

I just don't know *why* I have it.

--R :D
Nice. I love mine. I've tracked my past three albums with it exclusively, using nothing more than a SM57 mic. It's so great. I have the head and cab version with the 12" speaker, though. The 10" combo version is little too mid-range for me. As Pete Townshend showed, you don't need a 100 watt 4x12 to get great ripping studio recordings. I could never play with a live drummer with it, but for home recording, it's aces.

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i'm spending a good bit on these vintage, heavy iron, busting my ass carrying around amps, and you guys are killing it with 5 watters on a reasonable budget. I need to get with the times...still looking forward to getting my vintage modern though...VERY excited

I have no amps over 20W (Peavey 20MH, two Orange Micros that are 20W into 4 Ohm) a Blues Junior III that's 15W, a DSL15H, DSL1HR, Class 5, and an H&K Tubemeister 5, along with my Vox AC4C1, bought today. I don't gig, but I do live in an apartment. I also don't like to spend more than $400 CAD on an amp :D

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I love mine. I've tracked my past three albums with it exclusively, using nothing more than a SM57 mic. It's so great. I have the head and cab version with the 12" speaker, though. The 10" combo version is little too mid-range for me. As Pete Townshend showed, you don't need a 100 watt 4x12 to get great ripping studio recordings. I could never play with a live drummer with it, but for home recording, it's aces.

Before I bought mine this afternoon, I noticed the wee Vox combo has a jack for an external 16 ohm cab, and I just happen to have a Hughes & Kettner 112 with a Vintage 30. Have to try that out.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
H&K is on my list at some point...the reviews are soooo mixed on them.

The TM 5 is very basic, one preamp tube, one power tube, no reverb or effects loop, but it does have Red Box or line out for recording without a cab. I bought it instead of the DSL1HR at first, but later decided I wanted both, anyway :oops:

James R

Reaction score
I have one of those 50th Anniversary Marshall JVM1C combos that also goes down to .1 of a watt.
Really fun little amp, but way more fun when I unplug the 8” combo speaker and run it through my 212 V30 cab.
It was my main rig (home player) until I got the Helix, but I haven’t plugged into it in a while now.

I also have a Marshall SL-5, but that only goes down to half a watt.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of those 50th Anniversary Marshall JVM1C combos that also goes down to .1 of a watt.
Really fun little amp, but way more fun when I unplug the 8” combo speaker and run it through my 212 V30 cab.
It was my main rig (home player) until I got the Helix, but I haven’t plugged into it in a while now.

I also have a Marshall SL-5, but that only goes down to half a watt.

For the hell of it I made a cable to hook two Orange 8" cabs in series @ 16 ohms just so I could plug the DSL1HR into them, but the TM 5 looks cute sitting on top of them stacked. The DSL1 sounds good into my H&K V30 112.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat. Well, not literally, obviously! I live in an apartment so I’m using an audio interface and GarageBand. So 99% of the time, no amp. 0W.

I’m actually on a boat and I’m using a Zoom G3Xn into GarageBand in the iPad. It’s pretty fun. I can set up drum loops and the iPad has touch screen so i can pluck bass guitar and add keys. The keys section has a few organs and you can do the full-on mash/slide, as well as pull the little octave sliders (whatever they’re called...) I actually spent more time one night playing with the organ than guitar!
I love organs in rock. They’re just so right.

DADGAD

Reaction score
B6ED958F-C8C4-4598-A043-26F806ADD7EC.jpeg
I thought it was 5 watts and .5 of a watt, like I posted upthread.
I stand corrected.

Yeah, the SL-5C does 1 watt. Wasn’t the JMP-1 that did 1/2 watt? Maybe it was the 0.1W. I can’t keep track!

I’m very happy with the SL-5C. great tones. Glad I was able to snag one. I play it more than my AD-30 Single channel.

rogue3

Reaction score
This one, i've owned it since 1990.(and a most excellent H&K Metal Shredder):

Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine.
1-2 watts.For the tone!

Single ended,rackmount box,one preamp tube and one power tube.Can also be used with the preamp out into a bigger amp.The solution for wailing at room friendly volume.Think 70's and 80's hard rock(!).When you plug this baby into a Marshall 2-12 or 4-12, it gets louder(!)...with beautiful overdriven tube tone.Built like a tank.

I accidently found this link,though not my vid,it accurately portrays the tone...if you go to 1 minute in,and listen to the end(2:42)he turns the volume,and overdrive, on this 1 watt monster up.At the end he gets a clean overdrive,Kossoff-style.Wail.
That is what my unit sounds like.Sounds like a vintage overdriven Marshall...really,listen below.

Skynyrd tones bang on,and just about every other 70's and 80's hard rock band you can think of,without bothering anyone, it is THE solution for noise restricted practise space.In fact today, i'm going to plug her in,just because i want to push a 4-12 cab Marshall cab.:D...honest!

Last edited:

Latest Threads