Who here has done a historic trade in with a boutique store?

rsrd

Reaction score
Thinking of maybe.. possibly.... doing a trade in with one or my Historics. Probably my 2008 Darkburst GO (if it doesnt sell)

Has anyone done a trade in for another historic on here? Ive always sold and bought via the classifieds to get the best bang for the buck but Im starting to lean towards getting a nicer historic (maybe flame top or thinner necked R9 or an aged....)

shesrealfine

Reaction score
Just like trading a car, it's simply a matter of wholesale vs. retail. If you trade, they get retail and you get wholesale. Simple as that. You just have to be realistic about what wholesale and retail actually are. It's almost never what you think or expect.

deadringer

Reaction score
I would imagine if you traded in a guitar that the store can readily get, then you're not going to get much on a trade. You're better off selling it on your own, just like with everything else.

rsrd

Reaction score
Yeah, im aware of the hit i'd take. Im just wondering if there are any stores out there that are better to work with then others.

deadringer

Reaction score
Sorry man can't help you there. I sell on here, TGP, ebay and sometimes craigslist.

Not that this helps, but I think the worse place to try and trade something is Guitar Center.

I talked with Brett at Eddie's Guitars about a trade, I decided against it though. I sold my R8 plain top through ebay instead. Fees suck, but a lot more eyes on what you're selling.

rsrd

Reaction score
yeah, Im just getting impatient. F - it. I'll just keep bumping for another week and if nothing I'll Ebay it. So it goes.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Thinking a used G0 would sell for $2200 through a private party. A dealer may charge as much as $3000 for it. They will probably offer you $1500 in trade. (they may SAY they are offering you more, but that would be against full MSRP on the one you are trading for).

RocknRollGypsy

Reaction score
I traded a Anniversary '60 Reissue in to Make'n Music. I didn't get as much as I could have if I had held out here, but it wasn't selling and I needed it gone (and I wanted a new Teye...). They were absolutely great to work with, and I wouldn't hesitate to trade with/buy from them again.

in2madness

Reaction score
I don,t know how it works in the US but in the uk a shop like Coda Music who do a brisk trade in used guitars would buy in a 2/3rds of the price that would expect to resell/retail the guitar at. So if they retailed it at say £2100 they would buy it in at £1400. It does not sound a lot but you have to remember a retailer would expect to make at least 30% on a new guitar which is one of the lowest mark ups in retail. A lot of eBay resellers and private sellers have very unrealistic valuations on used instruments. I can often buy cheaper through good retailers haggle for their best price and get a full warranty and avoid all the hassle and disappointment of eBay and put the guitar through its paces through various amps etc.

toymaker

Reaction score
50% trade vs. Retail is a good rule of thumb, possibly 2/3rds if they feel they have a buyer lined up or your taking something new in return.

98% of the time eBay or classifieds will return more if you give it a week.

Price points are key, when your talking a 2k+ guitar, its a buyers market generally, 5k+ is a bear, unless you got something special, limited and in demand, then you can sell it to the right buyer.

Totally Bored

Reaction score
Craigslist. I Sold a R8 for $2200. :)

Only took 274 e-mails to filter thru the low ballers and people that want to trade you junk. :rolleyes: Musicians are Nut Jobs IMO.:hmm:

When I sold Motorcycle parts on Craigslist it took a maximum of 5 e-mails per part ... just sayin :dude:

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've traded up several times...always with Mark's Guitar Loft. He's great to deal with, and always has amazing guitars in inventory. That said, he will usually only take in great guitars as trade-ins, because he then has to re-sell them (while maintaining his reputation for selling nothing but great guitars). Anyway, he's definitely worth contacting.

Frank

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
You would be much better off just reducing the price to the selling point here. As mentioned above, a guitar like yours would probably bring $1500 on trade, and you'd pay retail or close to it for the new one.

Here's how I'd handle it if you are getting that antsy. Your asking price is pretty fair here, but fair isn't cutting it. If you list it on Ebay, you will have about $100 in fees from them alone, and if you wanted to move it QUICKLY, would probably have to put it up for @$2100.00. So.....I bet it wouldn't last long at here or TGP at $1999.00 Shipped. Even at $100 to ship and $60 in PP fees, that's netting you $1840. $250-350 better than trading it, and it should be gone in a day or two.

Good luck!

Latest Threads