Who has two or more plain tops?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Just going off memory...

I can't remember anybody here owning two plain tops, does anybody?
It seems that guys who own more than one historic either stick with flame tops or go for the one of each approach.
Another R9 is next on my list but after that, I'll definitely get another R8.

If you have a couple of plain tops, I'd love to see 'em!! :)

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right!

Now, what does that tell us? I'm going to go out on a limb (respectfully) and say that to generalize R8 owners (who have no R9's) a little (stereotype... profile...), they're the players who could barely pull off the $$ to get a Historic (myself included). Those who can afford to accumulate multiple Historics are not the same guys who are scraping together change and eating ramen noodles to afford their "R," they're able to shell out a little extra scratch and choose guitars from the top of the pile so to speak. (If I just come out and say it... R8's are the "poor man's" Historic, and the guys who can afford to collect Historics are also the guys who have a fatter wallet and can afford R9's). Then you've got the middle class well to do Joes who get an R8, then an R9, and maybe a couple more R9's. I don't think that many people get an R9 and then "move backwards", as you've alluded to. If (when) I can afford to get a few more LP's, I'll probably just walk in to my dealer blindfolded and have him toss me guitars until I find my favorite! :laugh2:

There are exceptions to every generalization, but I think that is largely the case. Call me crazy, but I love plain tops (truthfully), and have 3 of them, but would like to get a flame top one of these days. Not before I get a Gold Top, though!

The Rooter

Reaction score
(If I just come out and say it... R8's are the "poor man's" Historic, and the guys who can afford to collect Historics are also the guys who have a fatter wallet and can afford R9's).

+1 (I'm a "poor man" who managed to get the cash together for an R8 -- no regrets though).

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
hmm. Well, I have the G0 plaintop, then I got a goldtop. Id love one of those R9 bursts, but they are far too much money. I wouldnt rule out another plaintop though.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Actually, I moved backwards. I got the R9 first, then the R8, then the R6. I didn't buy an R9 for the sake of buying an R9. I bought it because it was the best reissue I got my hands on. I wouldn't have bought it, or any R9 for that matter, just for the top. To be honest, I'm buying an '09 for the sake of buying an '09...but I'm not buying just anyone. I'm getting the royal treatment...:naughty:

I love plain tops, too! IMO and speaking about the guitars I've seen in person, the majority of plain tops look better than the majority of flame tops.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
2004 Cloud 9 '58 RI, 1991 Classic
Music&

BostonGuitar

Reaction score
Paging Mr. French... Mr. Sean French to the podium...

My benefactor in selling me the infamous Refinished R0 goldtop indeed owned 2 R0 plaintops for a time. He still owns the Gorgeous one-off darkburst gloss R0 plaintop, and before my goldtop was mine, it was Sean's. And before it was gold, it was Iced Tea Burst in a plain top. (With lucious dark back) :cool:

LongBeach

Reaction score
I have 2 PT's, but only 1 is a Historic.

PoorMan

Reaction score
Does a G0 and a R7 count?

(nah, there's flame under the goldtop paint...so I guess not).

Sean French

Reaction score
I prefer plain tops.I've had many flame tops too.

Here are two R0 plain tops.I still have the Darkburst and the Iced Tea was refinished to a Gold top and now belongs to Kevin(Boston Guitar).

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_0018-1.jpg

fretboarder

Reaction score
one good gibson is enough...
i hope all you guys who have all these r's actualy play!

Olli

Reaction score
one good gibson is enough...
i hope all you guys who have all these r's actualy play!

NO... what if your only one broke and needs to get fixed? You´ll be stuck without a Les Paul. Can´t allow that to happen.

I do play a little bit. Noodeling around mostly!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I try noodling around, but I have a real hard time with the theory aspect of it all. A-B-C-D-E-F-G...then what, what's next? Man...this is so confusing. :confused:

Please note: I am just kidding. I know H is next. H flat is my favorite key... :laugh2:

fretboarder

Reaction score
NO... what if your only one broke and needs to get fixed? You´ll be stuck without a Les Paul. Can´t allow that to happen.

when was the last time you broke one of your r's?

im very careful with my r8..if i was that bothered about it i would have a standard for everyday use and just keep the r8 in its case.

Olli

Reaction score
when was the last time you broke one of your r's?

im very careful with my r8..if i was that bothered about it i would have a standard for everyday use and just keep the r8 in its case.

LoL, I was just kidding. I do have my R9 just for my own pleasure to play mostly at home or sometimes at practice though. It has only seen the stage a couple of times and I admit that I like it just a litte too much to use it as a workhorse.

That´s why I have the R8 and I don´t care about wheter or not I ding it up!

Latest Threads